Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 08:55 PM

97 posts, read 320,720 times

Advertisements

My mother died in 2002 by brain aneurysm and I still daydream about her. I was 13 at the death, 24 now. I have already plotted out which events and places I would photograph and record if I could travel through time in an attempt to save her from the aneurysm. I would be doing all of that even before I travel back to 1962 to buy Silver Coins for face value at any bank. Even if my attempts failed, I would still be happy to just go back and give her something like five hundred hugs. I have also daydreamed about her suddenly appearing right next to me as I walk outside. I would be so happy that I would be at risk of toppling her clear over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 06:40 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,257,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisible Mary View Post
My son died in an auto accident in 2002, a month after turning 18. He had recently asked me to put to paper a favorite story he remembered from childhood that was told from the perspective of toads he and his siblings had saved from grated window wells and released in a nearby creek. He read it a few days before his last, and he laughed out loud at the line that described him as "able to jump so high he looked as though he could touch the tree tops." We agreed to keep it under wraps until the final draft was finished, and so the notebook was tucked away and forgotten until shortly after his funeral, when a dear friend told me my son had appeared to him in a starkly realistic dream.

Numb with torturous grief, I listened to what I hoped would bring a scrap of comfort. What he told me gave far more than that, and likely saved my sanity.

"I was walking down a familiar country road that I'd walked many times as a boy," my friend began. "Suddenly I saw your son in a nearby field, heading my way with a beaming smile on his face, waving and calling my name. I shouted to him, "How are you? Everyone's missing you. Your mom can barely lift her head." "Oh, he said, "tell mom I'm happier than I've ever been, and someday she'll see for herself. Nothing good is out of reach here, and it's forever." Then he turned and leaped impossibly high back across the field as he laughed and called back, "Tell mom I can finally touch the tree tops."
this, gave me happy tears....sending love and hugs, prayers for strength.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:35 PM

136 posts, read 237,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
this, gave me happy tears....sending love and hugs, prayers for strength.
What a great story. My Mom died six months ago. She was almost 90 and had dementia. I wasn't there when she died as we live cross country, but I did have the hospice nurse put the phone to her ear the last two weeks of her life to tell her how much I loved her and that it was ok to let go. She was unresponsive her last two weeks. She hung on despite not being given food and just water to wet her lips, for those two weeks.

I kept hoping I would see her after she died like an apparition or send me a sign that she was alright. About three months after her death, the lamp on my side table next to me suddenly shook and then suddenly stopped. No wind, table didn't move, just the lamp. It happened one more time after that. I prefer to think she was saying hello. Not sure about your dreams of deceased loved ones, but in my dreams they are all young and healthy. Hopefully, in time I won't wake up crying when I dream of my Mom.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:21 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,165,098 times
I wasn't home when my stepmom passed, and I wish I had been.

I had a dream several months after her death that I got into her bed with her and we hugged. We said nothing, but I knew she was dying. I think this was her way (or my way?) of feeling like I was "with her" when she went.

It was a very pleasant dream, and it made me smile knowing I had it. She was very brave in her death even though it was quick, she was very young, and it was painful. I'm honored to have known her!

Old 04-09-2014, 12:26 AM

11,021 posts, read 5,980,231 times
I sometimes have dreams of my wife in which she is with me again. She's still alive, we're divorced, a tragedy that should not have happened and feels pretty much like a death to me. I know about death too - I've recently lost my son. I only have one recollected dream of him (I know there are more) and that was on the second night. In that dream he showed me what happened to him and he let me feel his pain. That pain felt real!

Old 04-09-2014, 08:49 AM

15,630 posts, read 10,383,806 times
Cool topic, even if an old one.

I used to dream of my deceased loved one very often after he died. These dreams were always comforting and included conversations between us about how he was OK and I would be, too.

Now, three decades after his death, I dream of him prior to important anniversaries like his birthday or the day he died. These dreams remind me of the upcoming date, even though I wasn't aware the date was approaching consciously prior to the dream. There are no conversations between us now, just his fleeting presence in the dream and a feeling of peace. I always awaken happily remembering his face and his smile.

I love the contact with him in my dreams. He will always be with me.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:30 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,809,077 times
I have a certain, deceased love one that enters my dreams occasionally. I have learned (over a period of eight years) he is trying to warn me about something, that is currently coming into my life. It has been a crisis in the past when he has shown himself.

We had a pretty tough time in life when he was alive but he knew I was his friend in the end. So now, when I dream about him ( which isn't too often and he is aging in my dreams) he is a protector. He's telling me that my emotions are about to be tried. True story. He died at 44 years of age and when I dreamed of him a couple of days ago, he was older than when he died and my emotions were tried once again

Old 04-10-2014, 11:52 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,619,591 times
Several years ago. I did an oil painting of my grandmothers house.
Since the house no longer exists, I did the painting from memory.
I grew up in this home. I have good memories of the place.
I made the painting for my mother who misses my grandmother.

It took a long time to get the details correct about the house. Since I'm
not a professional painter. What was in my mind & putting it on an
empty white canvas was difficult.

Soon after I started the project, I had a dream that I was a kid again back
at my grandmother's house. It felt so real, seeing my grandmother
in the kitchen cooking or outside the front yard watering her plants & flowers.
Later during the day , I kind of forgot some of the details.
So I made it a point to write down or sketch what I had dreamed the next
time in case I should have a similar dream.
I did.
The odd thing was that in the dream I felt so good that I was able to see
all the details & I even told myself to try hard to remember this for the
painting. In the dreams I remember the stains on the bedroom where the
rain had leaked through. I remember the smell of the flowers. The bean
pot cooking in the kitchen. The front of the house, the number of windows.
All the peach ,orange & mesquite trees & more.
I made the painting big like the size of a window. I didn't tell my mom.
I wanted to see if she would identify the scene as being that of her mom's
house...& for me my dear grandmother.
She did. She enjoys it very much.

I believe that the mind collects all the images & things that have
happened in our lives. And it's stored inside of us.
Some are able to bring it out & remember. Other times it takes
something to bring it out .
The smell of gardenias & I recall my grandmother's house.
The smell of the rain when it starts to fall on the dry earth.
Fresh cut grass & I'm a kid in the summer time.
A pencil sharpener & the odor of the wood lead pencil or chalkboard
& I'm back in elementary class. Fresh peaches or cool watermelon &
I'm back in my small home town.

Funny thing is that I can recall more things from the past then something
that occurred just the other day.

Old 04-10-2014, 01:23 PM

25,439 posts, read 9,796,800 times
I dreamed about my mama last night. She will have been gone 20 years in May. She just hugged me so tight in the dream. It felt good. The last time I dreamt about her (a few weeks ago), I dreamed she was in my grandmother's house. I went into the room and called out to her and she came to me. But when I went to hug her, I was grasping air. I was so disappointed, but then I felt three light taps on my shoulder, and knew that she was there. I love dreams like that. I miss her every day still.

Old 04-10-2014, 03:17 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,864,884 times
My grandmother used to tell us that dreams of our deceased loved ones means they are coming to visit. I don't know if she said that to make us feel better or not. It seems like a nice thought anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning