Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 06:34 AM

2,645 posts, read 1,853,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie;

It would have been great, as you say, if those things had been resolved when your step-mom was still alive, but I guess sometimes it just isn't meant to be. Still, your being there at her funeral, IMO, ought to be a source of comfort in that you did all you could do.
Thank you so much for the kind words. I am still having a really hard time about this whole situation. Reading your response this morning gives me strength.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinaBelle

I miss my father and I wish he could have been the dad I always wanted growing up...I'm sorry about it all and I feel like I lost one of arms and legs since he is gone. I'm sorry for everyone's losses
I am so sorry for your loss. Life can be so cruel at times. Death is so final and when we love someone and that person leaves, before we have a chance to repair or build, re-build any kind of a friendship or resolve old differences is heart breaking. Leaving loved ones behind, with so many what ifs?

One thing I know, I am trying to be kinder and not hold grudges. I know we can't like everyone, even though they may be family or "whoever," to be mean spirited and hurt people is devastating.

Old 08-22-2015, 11:28 AM

15,052 posts, read 12,254,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
Thank you so much for the kind words. I am still having a really hard time about this whole situation. Reading your response this morning gives me strength.
I'm'glad those words were there for you to read them. Those feelings you are going through now, I think, are perfectly natural, and a part of the grieving process-for your loss of your stepmother and with her death, the loss of any chance to mend the estrangement between you and her. Your grief is also no doubt for the years lost of the good relationship you once had with her, or perhaps one that could have been. I understand, I have been there too with my father.

It will take time, just how long is an individual thing, for you to know instinctively that whatever actions you took in the past, you did the best you knew how at the time. And perhaps you could not have done any differently, especially if your stepmother chose to alienate you and your children and it wouldn't have mattered what you did. And you will realize that any guilt you might be feeling over all this is truly misplaced, and you will let it go. Or at least box it up and put it where it can't get at you without warning.

In the meantime, be gentle with yourself, work at remembering the good things, and do things for yourself that make you happy. And remind yourself, you did the best you knew how.

Peace and solace to you.

Old 08-23-2015, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie;

In the meantime, be gentle with yourself, work at remembering the good things, and do things for yourself that make you happy. And remind yourself, you did the best you knew how.

Peace and solace to you.
Thank you, thank you.........I hope you know how much your kindness means, there are so many folks that just don't understand the depth of this. Wishing you happiness and joy, in this old world.

Old 08-31-2015, 03:42 PM

118 posts, read 95,961 times
I was told by my father 4 years ago that I was dead to him, long story where we both said things and made mistakes, and when he dies it will be just another day for me. I have already mentally buried him.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydspapa View Post
I was told by my father 4 years ago that I was dead to him, long story where we both said things and made mistakes, and when he dies it will be just another day for me. I have already mentally buried him.
I am so sorry, I know your heart hurts. There is nothing that can get you two together, again? Kept thinking my step-Mom and I would make amends..............never happened......Don't know why people hold grudges and can't forgive and forget. Who knows? Take care.

Old 09-02-2015, 01:24 PM

14,287 posts, read 14,845,575 times
The family of my generation (I am age 73) is starting to experience deaths. There is no right or wrong as to attending any service. Some are closer regardless of family relationship than others. My siblings (3 of us) all lived at least 500 miles away from each other. We all went to each others wedding and the weddings of our children (or at least the first wedding...LOL). We did not mingle nor were part of each others daily lives. We saw each other every few years. When my sister died, my brother and I (had not seen each other in two years) attended the service. A few months later her husband died. We talked to her children (grown adults with their own families) but we did not attend the services. Granted he made it easy for us by not wanting any services.

My wife and I have gifted our remains to a medical school. They remove the remains within 24 hours. The other will probably have a memorial service but that remains to be seen how it goes come the time.

My first wife recently died. I confess I felt good riddance to her.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:24 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,233,203 times
I have told my son if for some reason my stepson should show up at services for me to not let him in.

Old 09-07-2015, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
I have told my son if for some reason my stepson should show up at services for me to not let him in.
Thought my step-Mom and I were great friends and she was my hero for many, many years. After I purchased a home from her, (my Dad passed away, just a year before,) anyway, she finally just shut me completely out of her life. Very hurtful, for years. She became very ill and passed away, recently. I feel so bad for her and her family. She was such a vibrant, seemingly healthy lady.

My question is, why do step children, sometimes get such a bad rap? My Mom and Dad, (her husband of over 50 years) were married just before WWII, and only married a few years. Just all so heart breaking.

Guess, your stepson hurt you; but can you be friends again? He may be hurting, too. It is an awful hurt, and even worse, now.

Old 10-13-2015, 04:32 AM

113 posts, read 77,595 times
Default totally agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
as the estranged parent ...

it wouldn't hurt my feelings or those of the family that has stayed closer to me if the estranged child didn't show up.

I'd be happy knowing that they hadn't done anything differently upon my demise. If it wasn't worth staying in touch while I was alive, it sure isn't gonna' change ....
Why bother to have the expense and the time of attending a funeral of someone you do / did not care for? That is quite pointless. Let those who loved the deceased and wanted them in their lives mourn in peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning