Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 12:38 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,875,920 times

Advertisements

I'm glad that it was all very cordial Oildog. I agree, wait for the estate....I had some fun issues with that when my Dad died! I'll keep a good thought. Keep us posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 08:37 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times
OD, I am very glad your mother behaved herself for all involved.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:38 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,745,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Except that the divorced spouse had children with the man who died and may want to support them. Just like in your example the spouses of the fired employees may still work for the company. (I know that is a stretch).
Let me assure you if I got fired( not laid off) from my place of employment I would not be showing up for any company picnics regardless if my wife was presently employed there or not.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:04 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Again, I'm sorry for your loss.

I am glad that your mother was on her best behavior.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:24 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,131,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Sorry for your loss. I would have the divorce attorney send her a letter notifying her that alimony checks would be stopped due to his demise.
She is likely entitled to Social Security survivor's benefits however.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:32 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,745,647 times
only if she is over 60 and not remarried.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:10 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,016,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
only if she is over 60 and not remarried.
If she was married to the deceased at least ten years and remarried after she turned 60, she is eligible for survivor benefits. If she remarried before age 60 and later divorced the subsequent spouse, she is likewise eligible for survivor benefits. Finally, if she remarried before age 60 and is currently married, she could divorce her current spouse, claim survivor benefits, remarry her current spouse and continue to receive the survivor benefits.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:21 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
If she was married to the deceased at least ten years and remarried after she turned 60, she is eligible for survivor benefits. If she remarried before age 60 and later divorced the subsequent spouse, she is likewise eligible for survivor benefits. Finally, if she remarried before age 60 and is currently married, she could divorce her current spouse, claim survivor benefits, remarry her current spouse and continue to receive the survivor benefits.
Aren't those benefits based on the deceased person's social security monthly checks? Wouldn't she have been able to draw off his SS benefits at any time, the same amount, as long as she was at 62 or older? I am so mixed up on this, so excuse my ignorance.

I guess what I am asking is . . . a divorced person can draw off her ex's SS earnings regardless of whether he is alive or deceased, right? Is the % allowed the same in either scenario?

Old 01-01-2014, 11:12 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,016,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Aren't those benefits based on the deceased person's social security monthly checks? Wouldn't she have been able to draw off his SS benefits at any time, the same amount, as long as she was at 62 or older? I am so mixed up on this, so excuse my ignorance.

I guess what I am asking is . . . a divorced person can draw off her ex's SS earnings regardless of whether he is alive or deceased, right? Is the % allowed the same in either scenario?
I don't want to get this thread off track, so I'll limit my reply. Spousal benefits are a component of retirement benefits. When the wage earner dies, the retirement benefits (including the spousal component) end. The amount of the divorced spouse's survivor benefit is not negatively impacted by the divorced spouse's prior election of early retirement benefits. The divorced spouse will receive the full survivor benefit as long as she waits until her full retirement age to collect.

As an example, as a divorced spouse, I can collect about $900/month on my ex's record when I reach age 62. If I wait until my full retirement age, I will collect about $1300, the amount that is about 1/2 of his PIA (primary insurance amount). However, if he dies, I can apply for a reduced survivor benefit now OR I can wait until I have reached my full retirement age (66) to collect the equivalent of his entire monthly benefit (about $2600/month). In any case, the survivor benefit will be dramatically higher than a spousal benefit.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:01 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
I don't want to get this thread off track, so I'll limit my reply. Spousal benefits are a component of retirement benefits. When the wage earner dies, the retirement benefits (including the spousal component) end. The amount of the divorced spouse's survivor benefit is not negatively impacted by the divorced spouse's prior election of early retirement benefits. The divorced spouse will receive the full survivor benefit as long as she waits until her full retirement age to collect.

As an example, as a divorced spouse, I can collect about $900/month on my ex's record when I reach age 62. If I wait until my full retirement age, I will collect about $1300, the amount that is about 1/2 of his PIA (primary insurance amount). However, if he dies, I can apply for a reduced survivor benefit now OR I can wait until I have reached my full retirement age (66) to collect the equivalent of his entire monthly benefit (about $2600/month). In any case, the survivor benefit will be dramatically higher than a spousal benefit.
Thank you so much for that excellent reply. It is something I have discussed with others in the past as it seems there is universally a lot of confusion about it. I have had many women ask me what I knew or understood and I had to frankly say - I don't understand it, even though I have read the SS info many times. It just never clicked the way you just explained it.

And yes, don't want to take this off track!!!

Hopefully, the OP will not have a tangled mess to unravel when it comes to settling her father's estate. It sounds as though he has planned well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning