Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 05:59 PM

814 posts, read 2,043,062 times

Advertisements

Did ya ever think of renting it out? you could always sell it at a later date after you know you will not feel guilty about the decision of selling your family home. It may not be financially feasible but if it is it may help you keep you cherished memories fresh in your mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 08:08 PM

36 posts, read 36,933 times
thanks, I wouldn't want to rent the house out. Come fall I will see what the housing market is in this area. Plus this summer I will have the house assessed. This will give me a good idea where I stand. I plan on taking an early retirement at 62 come this January. Either way I plan on going down south for the winter months. If not to just look around and see. Most important thing is, I'm on the right track mentally to get on with my life no matter what the future has in store for me.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:37 AM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,412,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyDoo View Post
GPC, thanks.. as you and others commented here and through email. It has rekindled my desire to get back into life. Come this Sept going to put the house up for sale and head south. Teaching and playing tennis was my career. Its what I love and what I'm good at even if I just open a free tennis clinic at a park for kids is a joy.. Plus just getting back out seeing new fun things and even dating again. Lord that should be interesting at my age. None of that is going to happen around here. Can't believe I let myself get in to such a emotional mental and physical rut this last year. My mum was 97, I was blessed to have her healthy and happy as long as I did. She never had one thing wrong with her or took a asprin. God Bless her. After reading here so many others have lost parents, spouses, children. I'm kinda ashamed at myself for being so caught up in my own emotions. When my heart goes out to everyone else here for there love ones that have pass.
I have 8 mths to get things ready, Thinking Wilmington Nc or Dunedin Fl on the gulf side? Well I guess I do have to get this house ready to sale first. Best head over to housing threads.Thanks kindly..
Don't feel bad for how you feel! Like I said, your feelings are completely normal! Something else I often think about - I sold the house when both of my parents were still alive. Even though part of me longs to be back in the house, part of me thinks it would hurt too much knowing that they're both gone. So, if you remained in the house, you may find yourself feeling more sad than comforted. Of course, maybe you'd be fine with it but I thought it was something else you should think about.

Old 02-07-2014, 01:17 PM

16,077 posts, read 10,738,506 times
Good for you. Choose life....let the light in...say "yes" instead of "no" and the world will open up for you.

Old 02-07-2014, 01:55 PM

GPC You are deff right 100 percent. Be active somewhere else is much better mentally than sitting here dwelling. If I was going to make new memories here with someone, that may be different. That is not going to happen with women in this area. Plus as I mentioned, I love teaching tennis. Best feeling in the world for me. Now that em older, I can think of nothing more that I would like to do in life. Than teaching older and younger kids the fun of playing the game as well as getting out of this winter climate. But selling a house.. wow.. just a tad bit to be done.
SunGrins, amen.. Pretty much lived all over the west coast in my early tennis days. Really like now the Wilmington Nc area for retirement, weather looks great year around with the 4 seasons too. Lots of really nice wooded oak tree areas. Specially south towards the Myrtle Grove Carolina Beach area. From google map there must be 100 tennis courts scattered all over in the parks there. Depending if my house sales this fall at least hope to get down in that area a couple months this next winter.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:33 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,355,088 times
My SO was in his home he shared with his wife, after she died, he just seemed wrapped in gloom, and depression, almost an inertia to move on with life. He got rid of the house, and I see him much happier, less morose, like a lot of baggage is gone.

Make the change. Move forward. This house is holding you back from the life you want.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:40 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,314,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
My SO was in his home he shared with his wife, after she died, he just seemed wrapped in gloom, and depression, almost an inertia to move on with life. He got rid of the house, and I see him much happier, less morose, like a lot of baggage is gone.

Make the change. Move forward. This house is holding you back from the life you want.
I'm glad your SO is doing so much better since you moved.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:43 PM

Jasper12, yep,, its not just the house mem wise. Every where I go around here outside, parks, stores, etc.. Memories are there too.
CA, you look great in your profile pics. What beautiful area you are in.

Old 02-08-2014, 03:22 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,591,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post

I agree with this 200%. Had to wait to rep.
It sounds trite to a grieving person when the grief is fresh, but staying in the same place and reliving it over 5 years or more is unhealthy. Even just moving to a new house, or state, or city, can sometimes help.

Life is out there!, it just takes time after losing a loved one, just my own experience.

Old 02-08-2014, 04:12 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,314,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyDoo View Post
Jasper12, yep,, its not just the house mem wise. Every where I go around here outside, parks, stores, etc.. Memories are there too.
CA, you look great in your profile pics. What beautiful area you are in.
Thanks...I can relate. Everything in my area brings back memories of my family. (Been here for 20-plus years now.)...I'm considering giving myself a "fresh start" and moving to a new area down the road a bit. (When I feel ready.)...Good luck to you. (Whatever you decide to do.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning