Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 09:09 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,313,257 times

Advertisements

Speaking about Moms...Tomorrow is the anniversary date of my Mom's death. Sure miss her!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 07:08 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,186,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
Speaking about Moms...Tomorrow is the anniversary date of my Mom's death. Sure miss her!
I hear you, CA. I was so busy moving this week that it wasn't until the day after, the 3rd, that I realized that the 2nd had been the 21st anniversary of my Mom's passing. 21 years. I thought back then that my life would never go on. Amazing how the years passed.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:09 PM

Tami...My Mom has been "gone" a long time too. (20 years.).. The years definitely "roll-by" fast. Don't they?...I wish I had my Mom to "turn-to" at times. She had a way of helping me "lift" my "spirits." (And look on the "bright side.")...Sorry you don't have your Mother with you either.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:01 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,650,994 times
Quote:
Oh, I so dread the first anniversary of my mom's death (it's in Oct). I'm sure it never gets easy. I have an aunt who died on her son's birthday. *big hug*

Old 06-09-2013, 01:01 PM

Spikett...I hope you do "okay" as the anniversary date of your Mom's death gets closer...My younger son died last September. His birthday was (is) at the end on May. And we always celebrated his birthday over Memorial Day weekend...I was doing "okay" until Memorial Day came around. Now I'm dealing with all the "old wounds" and "floodgates" of tears off and on. (Ahead of the one-year anniversary date of his actual death.)...But it's "okay." I was probably holding-back too many tears.

Old 06-09-2013, 01:13 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,186,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
Oh, I so dread the first anniversary of my mom's death (it's in Oct). I'm sure it never gets easy. I have an aunt who died on her son's birthday. *big hug*
It does get easier, Spikett. Each day that goes by does ease the pain bit by bit. I can now think, talk to or about my mother without shedding a tear. The first year, forget it, I'd cry at the thought of her or the mention of her. I think it took me about 3-4 years before to fully get over the "shock". It took about the same for my dad.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:27 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,172,354 times
Do you all do something to mark the day of your loved ones passing?

I do

I usually take a long walk/hike in a nearby nature preserve, making a point to be on the trail, out in the woods and prairies, around the time of day my partner passed.

It's sort of calming, a time to reflect, in a good setting.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:01 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Do you all do something to mark the day of your loved ones passing?
Last October was only the first, but I imposed upon my sister in Michigan for a long visit (she didn't mind, since I watched her kids while she and her hubby went away for the weekend previous) and some unconditional love from my teenage niece and nephew.

I didn't want to be alone, I didn't want to be at work or at home, and I didn't want to be anywhere near my in-laws and their detached and belated sympathy.

Did that sound bitter? Oh, well ...

I try to call my mom on the anniversary of my dad's death (14 years now), just to let her know I'm thinking of her.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:35 AM

I don't want to act (or pretend) that an anniversary date (or birthday) is a totally "normal day."...I might have things to do. (During the day.) And they may be "off my mind" for awhile...But all in all I want to "think" about my loved ones. And "remember" everyone. (On their special days.)...And cry if I get the "urge." Or even "voice" my "regrets.".. I want to take "joy" (and delight) in all the "happy times" we shared together..Sometimes I even end-up laughing because I think of all the "cute" things they said or did. (That "brightened-up" my life!)

Old 06-11-2013, 10:04 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,536,306 times
Quote:
I don't want to act (or pretend) that an anniversary date (or birthday) is a totally "normal day."...I might have things to do. (During the day.) And they may be "off my mind" for awhile...But all in all I want to "think" about my loved ones. And "remember" everyone. (On their special days.)...And cry if I get the "urge." Or even "voice" my "regrets.".. I want to take "joy" (and delight) in all the "happy times" we shared together..Sometimes I even end-up laughing because I think of all the "cute" things they said or did. (That "brightened-up" my life!)
Make sure you do these things every single day, then the anniversaries are much easier to handle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning