Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2014, 02:10 AM

1 posts, read 917 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am hoping for some advice. My sister has just lost her second child, a lovely young man unexpectedly. He died in his sleep aged 22 and his sister died a few years back also in her sleep at the age of 21.

We live on different continents and there is no way to get to be there with her. Can you please give me any suggestions to help the family through this awful experience. I am so very sorry for them and especially my sister as we lost our brother the same way.

I would appreciate any advice and guidance

Thanks
B
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 10:36 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,869,085 times
I have been in this situation with long distance family and close friends. I usually send a gift basket and then a personalized package with books on grieving or sometimes an album I've put together with photos of the person with family and friends. I usually make a point of calling the person at regular intervals to check on them and allowing them to talk, if desired. Of all the things, I've been told this is most appreciated because people tend to avoid bringing it up thinking it will be a hurtful reminder (That's not true. People don't forget that their loved one died.).

More than anything, I always ask the person what they would like me to do to help them at that moment or in the future. It may be difficult for her to tell you in the beginning, but this may change in the coming months/years if she knows you love her and want to help in any way you can. I think just being willing to help means a lot to people dealing with grief and they will let you know in their own time.

I'm sorry for the loss of your nephew.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:42 AM

2,164 posts, read 1,656,118 times
Oh my goodness, my heart goes out to you. I too have a sister and mom very far away, over 1200 miles, and I see them rarely. I wish I had some advice, but it is too close to home.
But I wanted to send you my support. I'm sorry for your loss.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:52 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,169,331 times
So very sorry for your loss.

A care package with some of her comforts would be nice, perhaps a blank journal. Also, arranging for a favorite restaurant/pizza shop to deliver them dinner a few nights would be very nice.

Old 03-24-2014, 03:14 PM

43,731 posts, read 44,495,603 times
With modern technology one can reach and talk to the loved ones without expense to check up on them especially during hard times like these. A personalized note (send by the postal service) is also another option.

I am sorry for your loss.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:28 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,553,480 times
The suggestions others have given are so helpful . . . I can't add anything, but wanted to tell you that I am very sorry to hear of your nephew's death.

I also wanted to say that the advice about calling regularly (and listening to whatever your sister wants to talk about) would doubtless mean a lot to your sister and her family.

Old 03-25-2014, 01:36 PM

708 posts, read 1,298,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea02 View Post
Hello all,

I am hoping for some advice. My sister has just lost her second child, a lovely young man unexpectedly. He died in his sleep aged 22 and his sister died a few years back also in her sleep at the age of 21.

We live on different continents and there is no way to get to be there with her. Can you please give me any suggestions to help the family through this awful experience. I am so very sorry for them and especially my sister as we lost our brother the same way.

I would appreciate any advice and guidance

Thanks
B
I would suggest looking at a website.... www.grieving.com that is meant for people suffering losses of all kinds. If they have a spiritual bent I can help them a lot more suggesting books. If not, the website can help to a certain extent. There's really not much you can do except listen. Most advice is well intentioned but it's best to wait until you are asked for advice, if ever, to give some.

Last edited by seethelight; 03-25-2014 at 02:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning