Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 01:24 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
Tami..Did your parrot talk to you when you went to Texas?...If I tried to take my cat with me on a long car trip, she wouldn't be a happy camper or a good companion...She's a homebody and doesn't like to ride in cars...How did your parrot act on your trip?
TwoBee, my parrot, talks to me all the time, CA. He was fine on the trip. He looked around the car a little, talked a little, slept a little. He was very quiet in the motel rooms too. Birds become very quiet in unfamiliar circumstances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 09:48 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,314,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
TwoBee, my parrot, talks to me all the time, CA. He was fine on the trip. He looked around the car a little, talked a little, slept a little. He was very quiet in the motel rooms too. Birds become very quiet in unfamiliar circumstances.
Tami...Thanks for the info. I've never had a parrot. TwoBee sounds like a great companion! I never thought about getting a parrot. (Until now!)...TwoBee is a cute name!.. Maybe I'll get a parrot down the road a bit. Right now, I'm giving my son's cat Gracie all of my attention. She went through a lot too. (With all the deaths in our family through the years.)

Old 08-03-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Tami...Thanks for the info. I've never had a parrot. TwoBee sounds like a great companion! I never thought about getting a parrot. (Until now!)...TwoBee is a cute name!.. Maybe I'll get a parrot down the road a bit. Right now, I'm giving my son's cat Gracie all of my attention. She went through a lot too. (With all the deaths in our family through the years.)
Parrots are not easy pets. You should not expect to stick them in a cage and that's it. No, they are very social creatures. You need to interact with them. You will become the most important thing in its life. They are very messy too.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Parrots are not easy pets. You should not expect to stick them in a cage and that's it. No, they are very social creatures. You need to interact with them. You will become the most important thing in its life. They are very messy too.
I'm a pretty interactive person when it comes to pets. But, I'm wondering if I should just stick with cats...I've had cats all my life. Never had a dog of my own.. Though, I seem to do okay when I spend time with my friends' dogs.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
I'm a pretty interactive person when it comes to pets. But, I'm wondering if I should just stick with cats...I've had cats all my life. Never had a dog of my own.. Though, I seem to do okay when I spend time with my friends' dogs.
Unless you have a fenced in yard or you don't mind having go out in inclement weather or a night run, I'd stick with cats,CA. They basically take care of themselves. It was quite a shock to my system not being able to just open the door and let Mickey out.

Parrots like to chew on anything too. They live many years too. TwoBee will probably out live me.

Old 08-04-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Unless you have a fenced in yard or you don't mind having go out in inclement weather or a night run, I'd stick with cats,CA. They basically take care of themselves. It was quite a shock to my system not being able to just open the door and let Mickey out.

Parrots like to chew on anything too. They live many years too. TwoBee will probably out live me.
What's the average life-span for a parrot? Just curious...Have you had other parrots in the past?...My friend's dog is on the verge of dying soon. I feel so sad for him...He says he can handle it. (He was in the Marines and worked as a police officer later in life. So he considers himself "tough.")...But, I can tell that he's scared and holding back a lot of tears...He's all alone in this area too. (With no family around.)...His cute little dog keeps him "going." I know he'll be "crushed" if his dog dies. He says he doesn't want any more dogs or pets after this.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:04 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,571,496 times
Right after Bob died, our 14 year old Yorkie developed kidney disease (this on top of having to sell the law practice, sell the house, move to AZ, and on and on....) and I had to put her to sleep 5 months after he died. I was so out of it, in such a fog, and didn't know a Vet in the area (AZ), that I just took her to the nearest one to put her to sleep. I couldn't even stay to be with her, after 14 years, I just dropped her off, paid the bill and left. I was too wiped out, stressed out, overwhelmed and broken that I just left her, kennel and all. I so deeply regret doing that now, but at the time, I just couldn't handle another shock to my system. I cried for weeks over her, when I couldn't cry yet for Bob. I have her ashes in a little box next to Bob's urn. I have told her I'm so sorry many, many times, and hope she forgives me.

I now have two cats that we got 11 and 13 years ago, Cassidy the Yorkie who's 8, and Tango the Yorkie who'll be one on Friday. The cats are getting up there and I'm dreading it. They're both so sweet and loving, but I know I'll probably get another kitten if something happens to one or both of them. The only thing that might stop me is that back then, de-clawing was the norm, and now, there's not a Vet who will declaw a cat, and I don't know that I want a cat with claws. I've never had outdoor cats, so I've always had them declawed. We'll have to see when the time comes, I guess.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:40 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
Right after Bob died, our 14 year old Yorkie developed kidney disease (this on top of having to sell the law practice, sell the house, move to AZ, and on and on....) and I had to put her to sleep 5 months after he died. I was so out of it, in such a fog, and didn't know a Vet in the area (AZ), that I just took her to the nearest one to put her to sleep. I couldn't even stay to be with her, after 14 years, I just dropped her off, paid the bill and left. I was too wiped out, stressed out, overwhelmed and broken that I just left her, kennel and all. I so deeply regret doing that now, but at the time, I just couldn't handle another shock to my system. I cried for weeks over her, when I couldn't cry yet for Bob. I have her ashes in a little box next to Bob's urn. I have told her I'm so sorry many, many times, and hope she forgives me.

I now have two cats that we got 11 and 13 years ago, Cassidy the Yorkie who's 8, and Tango the Yorkie who'll be one on Friday. The cats are getting up there and I'm dreading it. They're both so sweet and loving, but I know I'll probably get another kitten if something happens to one or both of them. The only thing that might stop me is that back then, de-clawing was the norm, and now, there's not a Vet who will declaw a cat, and I don't know that I want a cat with claws. I've never had outdoor cats, so I've always had them declawed. We'll have to see when the time comes, I guess.

whoever said life is easy? It is not....we all have stumbling blocks to get through, and some of them ain't easy in the least....the important thing is, we're still alive, and we've all had positive things in our lives happen to us....we just have to learn to let go of the negitive and satisfy the positive, until the positive becomes a point of celebration. I think we become so wrapped up in our sorrows, and our mistakes that we forget how to identify the positive. Someone once said, that the positives in life are very brief....but I do believe if we learn to identify with them rather then the negative, we've some how learned a very important factor of life.

It is never ever easy to lose a loved one, or to put our special fur babies down....once, for me, it was 10 years before I could even think about getting another dog. It wipes you out...why? Because we feel like were doing something cruel, but we are not....and they are so loyal to us.

I myself have made many many mistakes....but instead of allowing them to identify me, I'm going to have to learn to let them go, move on, and learn from them along the way.

And yes, don't think about things that haven't happened yet, think of positive things you have....and believe me, we have way more then most.

It isn't healthy to allow negative to take over and rule our lives, and it will if we don't put it in check.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:47 PM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times
Sounds as though your Dixie truly loved you -- and you, her. She wouldn't want you to grieve so...remember the good times...honor her tender spirit. May sweet Dixie rest in eace..and may your heart lighten as the days pass.

Sending you hugs..we lost our pal of 14 years and I know the heaviness you feel right now...it's like a huge hole torn in your heart.

It does get better with time...but we never, ever forget our special animal friends.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:00 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,216,684 times
Thank you all for your condolences. Tomorrow will be six weeks (I am still crying). I miss her so much. It took me one month to get over the shock. One Day at a Time, right? Our little sweeties are family to us. Marcy, you know I shut myself off from Dixie the last two hours of her life. I could not hold her, I could not love her because I knew I was the person responsible pulling the plug sort to speak. Oh, it was the hardest thing I have ever done besides placing my husband in a home.

We are all in this together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning