Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 07:32 PM

22,993 posts, read 6,468,323 times

Advertisements

My mother died last year....she was cremated.. and my brother, who cared for her and who she lived with,
had a memorial for her this year, no funeral....it gave us all time to grieve and reflect and was a good option
over a funeral, in our minds at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 12:52 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,732,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
My mother died last year....she was cremated.. and my brother, who cared for her and who she lived with,
had a memorial for her this year, no funeral....it gave us all time to grieve and reflect and was a good option
over a funeral, in our minds at least.
I think this is what I finally decided and poop on everybody else. My mother is holding a very small remembreance November 1 for my husband at her home. I am letting his sisters hold a graveside blessing in the town we lived in once I get the stone set. It is a very very small town and some of the locals expressed an interest in being there as well. My husband spent many years being the chief of police as well and was good at it so we are proud of him. I will also hike up the mountain and scatter some of his ashes. I have one sister that is so drugged out she can't seem to remember what is going on and leaves fuzzy message after fuzzy message wanting to know when the funeral is.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:13 AM

9 posts, read 10,962 times
When my husband died 5 months ago, I was relieved that we both had talked to each other about "what if's." We both knew we wanted no funeral but rather a celebration of life party. I waited until I felt ready to handle it and 2 months after his death, I honored his wishes. It was such a joy! People that knew him, all getting together and remembering all the good times they'd had together. But when I first mentioned it to his family, one of his sisters was not at all happy. So I feel your pain. But guess what, she'll get over it! I'm happy to hear you're going with your heart. I wish you peace.

Old 09-24-2014, 03:49 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,732,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelacey View Post
When my husband died 5 months ago, I was relieved that we both had talked to each other about "what if's." We both knew we wanted no funeral but rather a celebration of life party. I waited until I felt ready to handle it and 2 months after his death, I honored his wishes. It was such a joy! People that knew him, all getting together and remembering all the good times they'd had together. But when I first mentioned it to his family, one of his sisters was not at all happy. So I feel your pain. But guess what, she'll get over it! I'm happy to hear you're going with your heart. I wish you peace.

Thank you. I did get an email from her that members of the family were getting "upset" that no funeral was being help...uggg! I keep telling her that once the headstone is set up where we used to live together for 16 years she is free to have whatever sort of celebration she would like. Things are complicated because of the sadness surrounding his death due to his alcoholism, but, my husband did share with me what he wanted done. I will also scatter part of his ashes on a mountain near our home as he wished. It is so sad, but, I'm doing my best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning