Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 04:20 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,724,341 times

Advertisements

My husband recently passed away and my mother has offered her home for a very small remembrance celebration in November for my husband. I feel like this is what I'm going to do, but, my husbands sisters are all thinking they need a funeral for closure? Why would a funeral be necessary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 04:32 PM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,073 times
I'm so sorry for your loss.

Funerals are very, very expensive. When my husband died seven months ago, I decided not to have a funeral for him, for several reasons. First, it was his wish that I not have a funeral for him. Second, all of his family lives far away from this area, and I didn't want to spend the money to have a funeral that they'd probably not want to travel so far for.

If your husband's sisters are so adamant about a funeral for your husband, maybe you could ask them (nicely) if they'd be willing to foot the bill. If you don't have a funeral, and they become angry about it, could you deal with their anger?

Some of my husband's family aren't speaking to me because I didn't have a funeral for him, but they're not people I want in my life anyway.

Old 09-08-2014, 04:35 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,724,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I'm so sorry for your loss.

Funerals are very, very expensive. When my husband died seven months ago, I decided not to have a funeral for him, for several reasons. First, it was his wish that I not have a funeral for him. Second, all of his family lives far away from this area, and I didn't want to spend the money to have a funeral that they'd probably not want to travel so far for.

If your husband's sisters are so adamant about a funeral for your husband, maybe you could ask them (nicely) if they'd be willing to foot the bill. If you don't have a funeral, and they become angry about it, could you deal with their anger?

Some of my husband's family aren't speaking to me because I didn't have a funeral for him, but they're not people I want in my life anyway.

Ok at least I'm not alone here.

Old 09-08-2014, 04:49 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormynh View Post
Ok at least I'm not alone here.
No, you are not alone.

It is amazing the audacity of people who make demands or get angry if their wishes are not followed, yet they expect someone else to pick up the tab for their expectations being met, lol.

Nope, you are definitely not alone.

Old 09-08-2014, 05:10 PM

302 posts, read 474,102 times
I have been to both, and I feel that a gathering to celebrate that person's life is so much more meaningful. Everyone can share their thoughts, feelings and grief in a less formal and stressful situation. Funerals are expensive, solemn and sad. A celebration of life is open, thoughtful and more personal for everyone. He didn't want a funeral, and his wishes should be considered above any one else's in my opinion.

Old 09-08-2014, 05:23 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,341,475 times
What they want does not matter in this case. They should respect your decision and your husband's wishes in this matter......... whatever that may be. If they don't, then they have their own personal issues they need to contend with.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:42 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,343,502 times
I'm very sorry for your loss.
This may sound hokey, but you can weigh the differences: a funeral, at which the body is presented for viewing, could bring on more sadness and grieving. Whereas a remembrance could mean a little less of such. Gives everybody an opportunity to remember him as they last saw him - alive and happy. I think I'd opt for the remembrance, as opposed to seeing someone laid out in a casket.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:19 PM

971 posts, read 1,453,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
No, you are not alone.

It is amazing the audacity of people who make demands or get angry if their wishes are not followed, yet they expect someone else to pick up the tab for their expectations being met, lol.

Nope, you are definitely not alone.
Once again I agree with ani and the other posters. I had a celebration of life for my wife 6 1/2 years ago at the church she attended and the family came to my house where we remembered and spoke of all the ood memories we had incountered. That was the way she wanted.

My condolences on your loss OP.

Old 09-09-2014, 02:02 PM

917 posts, read 1,383,860 times
IMO, you are the spouse and the way you handle the funeral arrangements is entirely up to you. Like a few others mentioned, funerals are expensive. A nice remembrance and maybe a dinner (maybe some of his favorite dishes?) would be nice as well. I’d prefer that over people weeping over a dead body. Everyone who attends can share a story or memory about him.

Old 09-11-2014, 05:10 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,315,336 times
Just a question but how much does a graveside or pre cremation service or a viewing cost?

That is just me and only because you asked for opinions.

If he said 'no funeral' and if the estate could afford it, I would go for a viewing prior or small funeral home service prior to the cremation to offer family a chance to say good bye. No funeral, just some small opportunity to read a poem or say some words and goodbye.

If they wanted a more formal funeral I would most sympathetically ask them to chip in on the cost of the funeral and participation as well. Just saying they may not have said their goodbyes yet and feel the need for a formalized closure, whereas you have had the time and space that you might be ready for a remembrance celebration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning