Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 07:46 AM

3,428 posts, read 3,363,873 times

Advertisements

Today marks exactly 5 years since I lost my Dad. He went peacefully with us (his grown children) at his side. I whispered to him just before he left us that Mom will be waiting on him at the Gates, and to give her a hug and kiss for me. Driving to work this morning, I felt my Dad's presence; I was a bit sad but I could swear I heard him tell me: "Don't you start crying! Don't you shed not one tear! I am in a better place now, and I can walk and talk again!" (He'd lost speech and movement resulting from a stroke, several years prior to his passing).
I'm trying to hold fast to his stern order: Not a single tear, for dad would not approve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 06:35 PM

33,028 posts, read 36,594,034 times
I lost my dad in 1996. He had been in cardiac ICU for a week. The doctor let my kid, his grandson, visit. My son was a bit frightened at first. He was five years old. I put him on the bed and explained all of the tubes, wires and beeping things. He crawled all over grandpa, kissed him, and finally took a nap by his side.

It was a tough day because the Dr. said he'd be gone in a few minutes, but he lived for another six hours. OMG, my mother sat in the chair crying and going to his bed, saying, "goodbye" every five minutes.

I couldn't stand it any longer! I started discussing Monty Python and telling bad jokes. He flatlined when my mom, brother and I were laughing about silly old memories.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:47 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,162,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
Today marks exactly 5 years since I lost my Dad. He went peacefully with us (his grown children) at his side. I whispered to him just before he left us that Mom will be waiting on him at the Gates, and to give her a hug and kiss for me. Driving to work this morning, I felt my Dad's presence; I was a bit sad but I could swear I heard him tell me: "Don't you start crying! Don't you shed not one tear! I am in a better place now, and I can walk and talk again!" (He'd lost speech and movement resulting from a stroke, several years prior to his passing).

I'm trying to hold fast to his stern order: Not a single tear, for dad would not approve.
You are allowed to cry. You have feelings. You are allowed to be sad. You are allowed to miss him (and your mom, too).

I can tell you that it really helps. It's a release. It's much better than holding the sad feelings inside of you.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:08 PM

12,993 posts, read 9,720,196 times
I understand your feelings OP, I lost my dad in 2008 and my mom in 2013 and I miss them so much. Sometimes I wake up in the morning with my mom heavily on my mind. I have felt both of their presence strongly whereas it feels as though they are standing right next to me and all I have to do is turn around and look at them. I told somebody once how much I miss them and that person told me that I should get over it already that I did my best. Since then I don't say anything to anyone, I guess because I'm a big strong guy I shouldn't still be missing them.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:51 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,263,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
I understand your feelings OP, I lost my dad in 2008 and my mom in 2013 and I miss them so much. Sometimes I wake up in the morning with my mom heavily on my mind. I have felt both of their presence strongly whereas it feels as though they are standing right next to me and all I have to do is turn around and look at them. I told somebody once how much I miss them and that person told me that I should get over it already that I did my best. Since then I don't say anything to anyone, I guess because I'm a big strong guy I shouldn't still be missing them.
What a terrible thing to say to you! It's been 22 years for Mom and 10 years for Dad and I still miss them wicked bad. I always will. That person was heartless or never suffered such an important loss. ((( Hugs))) to you.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:32 PM

12,993 posts, read 9,720,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
What a terrible thing to say to you! It's been 22 years for Mom and 10 years for Dad and I still miss them wicked bad. I always will. That person was heartless or never suffered such an important loss. ((( Hugs))) to you.
Thanks so much.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:00 AM

3,428 posts, read 3,363,873 times
I'm not sure you really "get over" missing a loved one. My Mom has been gone since '71 and I still miss her!

Old 09-22-2014, 10:21 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,263,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
I'm not sure you really "get over" missing a loved one. My Mom has been gone since '71 and I still miss her!
No, you never "get over" losing someone close. You just learn to accept and live with it. There is no other way, really.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:15 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,589,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
No, you never "get over" losing someone close. You just learn to accept and live with it. There is no other way, really.
So true tamiznluv.

My mom died 5 years ago and I miss her every minute of every day.
Hugs to everyone that is missing someone.

Old 09-22-2014, 02:05 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,577,478 times
I agree with the others. I lost my mother 25 years ago and my father a little over a year later. They were not the best of parents and our relationships were often contentious, as was theirs, but in some ways I still miss them and always will. I lived hundreds of miles away and was not their for either of their deaths and perhaps that just made it a it more difficult.

As for the bozo who told you to just get over it, likely he never lost someone or simply didn't care. We all grieve in our own ways and for however long it takes. There's no timetable!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning