Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2016, 01:34 PM

218 posts, read 207,785 times

Advertisements

Wilson, our Westie or my wife's WESTIE, she really wanted one, had a horrendous life but was a lovely dog... a terrier all the way, could do with less barking... his known life story starting with his rescue form Liberty State Park NJ is on the web: WestieMed.. I wrote the last two chapters. WestiMed invested in the first effort to bring him back to life. He had a lovely white coat aid a very faint Dorsal Strip, when the allergy was suppressed. Sadly he may have been a puppy mill breeder spreading the disease that lead to his death. We (vet) estimate Wilson was 11 when we put him down. I watched the light go out in his eyes, very painful even now.

We put him down 3 months before the end of three years with us. He had a ruptured tumor on/in his intestine, must have been in awful pain even on prescription meds and IV. I think the years of heavy steroid use may have caused the tumor, but at least with treated he seemed to enjoy life and loved to chase Whitetail Deer that frequent our (large) property. My wife died died three months to the day after we put Wilson down. Very sad connection.

If you'd like to read the Wilson story I can provide the link.

Old 02-12-2016, 02:29 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,326,647 times
When we took on the responsibility of all of my cats, my parrot and even my sons dogs we were in a much better financial situation...of course my DH was alive and selling his vintage antique standard transmission parts--very hard to fine and could bring in a lot of money. In Calif our business made life comfortable. I never felt I would not be able to care properly for my pets. Now with all that has happened it's difficult but still my animals will always come first. Still it is hard. I am so thankful to have a job as it does help. My cats abscess tooth a few weeks ago ended up costing me $278.00. Yep, not money I had so I put it on my credit card and will pay it off. My pets don't come cheap but they are worth every penny to me!

Old 02-12-2016, 04:19 PM

I'm not a financial wizard but I know credit card interest is sinfully high, YES SINFULLY, and I am a Free Market guy. Please speak to the bank about a personal loan if you owe a credit card very much (How much, depend on how much you can pay off fast).

I'd hope one can get a personal loan for under 10% and the credit card may be more like 15% not documented numbers, just my take/sense/guess.

EDIT: I see advertise on TV Reverse Mortgages, that is a legitimate offer, I believe something else you can get free advice on. Not from me, I'm "blue skying" here, not in the business.

Old 02-12-2016, 04:33 PM

More ideas, the animal shelter I volunteer at has a lower cost veterinary service for income stressed pet owners. It is a 501 C(3) charity type organization.

Looking on the web I find:
Having Trouble Affording Veterinary Care? : The Humane Society of the United States

Also please check with your state/county services for seniors, they should be able to help be sure one is getting all the help they are eligible for. I often use the County Senior Services center located near me. So far my use is recreational/health interests. But I know they have social services connections. In fact I think it is in the same building complex.

One should not be too proud to look seek help they qualify for.

Best,

Old 02-13-2016, 05:25 AM

All good ideas Jerry. The Humane Society in our county is pretty low on funds----plus my vet is just 2 miles from my house. I rarely put anything on my credit cards since I am still paying off my DH's medical expenses that were not covered with his medicare. I'll be paying for a long time but as long as I keep paying........the very last thing I want to do is put my home in any kind of jeopardy so I will try very hard not to use it for money.
Very cold here and work today. I didn't sleep well last night..I think those antibiotics are making me feel bad....I had nightmares last night. I'll be happy when I finish them and then I hope my dentist can do something with that tooth that doesn't cost an arm and a leg! He really is trying to work with me but I have deep gum issues...he's hoping to put a filling around the area...we'll see.
Hope everyone has a nice day!

Old 02-13-2016, 05:42 AM

cyn,

My target was high credit card interest, that is way over the top given the "cost of money" to the banks. They can borrow from the Federal Reserve (what 1%) and pay us depositors less than 1% and then use it to pay credit card bills for us and charge 15% for the pleasure of their service. Sadly, I keep hearing the big banks are in tough financial straits. I'll stay away from anything more on the subject, just repeat in one needs some money for a purchase consider borrowing the money rather than putting it on a credit card.

I use credit cards all the time, but try to manage it like cash with a delay in my putting up the cash, with zero interest and "points back". Now that's a good use of credit cards and may be the reason banks are having troubles.

While I have (not to be written here) a strong view on government programs, I support 100% helping people with tax $$ when they work hard and manage carefully as you do. Thus I again encourage you to seek advice on programs that may be available to you that will help meet living costs. I know there is no cost advice for seniors, both at the local and federal levels.

Old 02-14-2016, 06:39 AM

Woke up to frozen hot water pipes. I left the water running but apparently it was only the cold. It's hard to tell with the kind of faucets I have--but once it starts running again you can bet I'll figure out if it's both cold and hot water dripping! So I can't go to church cause I have to leave the faucets open so when it thaws it runs.....it's so cold I think I'll just do my own church right here at home. I sure hope the freezing pipes don't cause any problems with my pipes---Never just had just frozen hot water pipes but from what I have read they usually thaw with no problems.

Old 02-14-2016, 06:55 AM

It is still single digits here in NJ, coldest it has been in 100 years, I think I have heard.

Hot and cold pipes are both "cold" until hot water is drawn from the heating tank to the faucet outlet. Both are subject to the same freeze threat if the water is off.

I think mostly a frozen pipe isn't a broken pipe

What are your tempertures now? Had it ever been as cold before while you lived in your home?
If above freezing outside and if you know you've survived similar lows, I am hopeful just a thaw will handle.

Is the loss of water just one sink or multiple places? Just trying to figure out, all I can do from here is guess and give "moral" support and hopefully reduce stress.

On that note, the odds are you have not sustained pipe damage.

Last edited by Jerry_NJ; 02-14-2016 at 06:57 AM.. Reason: correct: adds to odds

Old 02-14-2016, 07:09 AM

It was 12 degrees last night. All the faucets have no hot water. We have had frozen water pipes before but never just the hot---my bad--I thought I had both hot and cold on--we have the kind of faucets with only one handle so it's hard to tell sometimes. It's 20 degrees out right now and I have a work light up in the attic next to the water heater trying to heat it up just a bit. I have the hot water faucets open in the bathrooms and kitchen so when it does that I will hear it and it will start running. I hope .

Old 02-14-2016, 07:21 AM

I just called my neighbor and he said I should just leave the hot water at a trickle from now on when it's going to freeze.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.