Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2018, 09:48 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,499,383 times

Advertisements

His capacity for LOVE was clearly at the top of the scale too Especially for illiciting love

You are so right - once an individual is gone you really notice the vacancy. Meggy May the Chow Chow is an absolute doll. But she's so much better behaved than Cotey was. We walked her down the neighborhood's streets earlier tonight - she just beamed out in happiness - it made her day! But she is a lot mellower dog than Cotey was. She tried to discipline him but many times it was in vain - it only caused Mommy and Daddy to get angry at them. Mildly angry.

But man, take him away, and there's a huge void in the house. He had a large personality and he did illicit love. God answered my prayer to a tee, yes he did!

Old 07-04-2018, 03:50 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,314,324 times
Happy 4th everyone! Hope it is a safe fun day!
Oh elko I do understand what you are saying. I also have a huge void in my household now. It's a tough one to deal with.
I got called into work yesterday since another girl decided she didn't want to go. I was only there a few hours but it was really busy and my manager was busy doing paper work in the office so I basically had to handle the floor myself so I was wore out by the time I came home. I laid down about 5pm and fell asleep which made for a very restless nights sleep. Just have to make myself stay up so when I do go to sleep it's for the whole night!
Have a blessed day everyone!

Last edited by cynwldkat; 07-04-2018 at 05:18 AM..

Old 07-04-2018, 06:48 AM

48,133 posts, read 22,007,656 times
The Fourth of July was one of my favorite holidays when I was growing up.....in my memory it is a montage of the parades and marching bands, firework displays and staying up after dark. Pop bottle rockets and sparklers, fireflies and campfires, Round Pond and loons....are all part of my Fourth of July experience...it was all magical.

I have very Norman Rockwell "Americana" memories of my childhood 4th: decorating my bike with balloons and crepe streamers and riding with my buddies--the balloons attached so they became noise makers against the spokes, and my mother in uniform (even white gloves) with her girl scout troop marching in the parade and later Dad on the bandstand....saying a few words or giving a benediction....extolling that which is best in America... its vision and promise.

The finale of the fireworks display was a huge depiction of an American flag set up on the ground....with wires and pine strapping.....but after dark when it was lit.....and sputtered and crackled into its full smokey red white and blue glory....we all stood like the little whoos down in whooville and sang the Star Spangled Banner with hands over our hearts.

Happy Fourth of July.

Last edited by elston; 07-04-2018 at 07:31 AM..

Old 07-04-2018, 07:38 AM

WoW elston--your post gave me chills! That is what the 4th of July is suppose to be like!! Great post and thank you!

Old 07-04-2018, 08:18 AM

815 posts, read 981,425 times
Happy 4th of July to all. Hope everyone enjoys their day.

Old 07-04-2018, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
WoW elston--your post gave me chills! That is what the 4th of July is suppose to be like!! Great post and thank you!
Thank You cyn, I am glad you liked it. I actually wrote it a few years ago ... but dusted it off and made a few changes and decided to share it again.

I am glad that I did...because this year I have grown more than a little cynical and it was nice to go back and touch some of the innocence of days gone by.

Old 07-04-2018, 11:02 AM

It's fun ta remember the days of innocence. For me, that meant growing up in Edmonds, WA, 15 miles north of Seattle. I remember growing up with all of the holidays, holidays were really important to my Mom. God bless her - she passed in May of 2015. I have great memories of studying bugs on the ground, watching the raccoons and squirrels, Mom and Dad always had a cat or two and a dog to play with and enjoy.

Mom was a wonderful cook - her pies, cakes, apple crisp, main dishes and side dishes were the bees knees. Loved my youth - Dad was a college basketball player and later a high school basketball coach, so elkotronics has a picture with a basketball in one hand and a football in another, sitting on the carpet in my diaper. I was a year old or so. I am grateful to Dad for teaching me how to play baseball, basketball and football, and for actually playing the sports with me.

Growing up around Seattle, that meant the arts were huge attractions. The Seattle Art Museum, ESP music auditorium, The Seattle Center Arena and Coliseum for concerts. The first concert I saw was James Taylor and Carole King. My sister, who is about a year and a half older than me, took me to the show. Blew me away - such excellent music, great, loud amplifiers and such good discipline and talent from the various performers. I never forgot that, so I had my transistor radio with me at all times, listened to The Beatles, the Kinks, Tommy James and the Shondells, Three Dog Night, Foghat, The Guess Who, Eric Clapton, on and on and on they go. I developed my favorites and would see them in Seattle, usually at The Seattle Center Coliseum, and oh did I enjoy rock shows. I still feel that a good, loud, quality rock show is the best entertainment value for your money, people.

Y'all enjoy your day, today, everyone. Thank you so much for helping me with the grief over Cotey. I am still very sad but it's slowly getting better to tolerate. God bless all of you taking care of your own animals. They make great companians. They don't judge you and they don't even want you to see if they're struggling. They are evidence of an all-wise, loving Creator, who is such an incredible designer I can't even believe it. Us and the animals were not meant to get old and die. Know that - this isn't all there is to life. Thanks be to God for that! Enjoy your Wednesday's!

Old 07-04-2018, 11:51 AM

elko.....enjoyed sharing in wth your memories

Old 07-04-2018, 12:11 PM

elko.....enjoyed sharing in wth your memories

Thanks, elston, for reading them. I'm really enjoying my days off. These days off are getting me primed for retirement. I can't wait!

Old 07-04-2018, 12:21 PM

We each have such distinct and wonderful childhood experiences. I lived at 5,000 ft. elevation in the CA mountains in a town population 38--yes 38! My dad was the teacher and he taught 8 grades in a one room school. He had 10 students--3 were his own children! He built our home up there and I can remember helping paint it at 2 years old. We heated that house with a wood burning stove and it kept it toasty!! The kids were free to roam the mountains and knew when the time to be home was. On snow days mom always had fresh baked cookies waiting for us! We did not spend much time in the house because we enjoyed the outdoors so much! There was no grocery store so once a week we would drive down the hill to the closest town with a store and buy enough food to last another week or maybe two. I loved my childhood...to this day I feel like we were so blessed to have such an innocent loving childhood and were able to be kids! I could write a book about all the things we learned and did living in the wilderness!! Amazing. My DH took me back there about 10 years ago just to see the house and school. Things haven't really changed---house is still on a dirt road but there are a lot of new residents! It was bound to happen--finding a story book place like that to live was amazing! It was so strange when the people who bought my house invited us in. I could feel all the memories flooding in at me. Wonderful!!!!! I felt each of my family members there!
And yes we did have pets, a Myna bird and a dog plus a few wild critters of course!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.