Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 01:33 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,630,795 times

Advertisements

What a shame this thread has deteriorated (sp ?) as I started out thinking one thing an learned additional things along the way that gave me greater insight to the discussion. I am not a B &W person so, I am always open to changing my mind.....<s>

I am sorry that we too often jump on people that we disagree with, all in the name of "our truth"......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 02:15 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,528,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Every thread gets a variety of answers...
Some will be helpful, some off point, some harsh...

Just treat it like a giant buffet and take what is helpful and leave the rest...
This is the best advice ever, for ANY forum! Everyone needs to do this!

Old 11-25-2014, 04:08 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,195,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meengla View Post

In the Great Debate forum I would have asked questions like whether it is okay to have a prolonged grief for a pet when there is so much human misery around?

Maybe not 10 months like you are but yes, it is perfectly normal to mourn your pet.

I would have asked whether missing a pet more than an immediate loved one can be 'normal'?

Yes. Like someone else said, I would rather spend my time with my dog than other people sometimes.

I would have asked if it would be 'normal' for pet loss to alter a person's outlook on life?

Yes. Usually makes a person happier.

Perhaps making him/her more somber for long/permanent terms?

No. Usually they open you up to want another commitment to another pet. No relationship is guarenteed to be either long or permanent. Especially with animals.

I would have asked whether we see a reflection of our own mortality in a pet's loss?

Not generally.

A reflection of our own growth and decline through our experiences with our pets?
I think you are putting too much emphasis on "me" in a pet/owner relationship. Relax. Just enjoy your pet and relish that unconditional love you will get. Live in the moment like your pet does.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:28 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,007 times
I actually had an animal die in my arms and for me its easy to believe they are still alive and well over the Rainbow Bridge.

Otherwise you'd go mad from grief. Pets don't last that long and as Lovely as they are, they are Not Actually Human.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:40 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,760,123 times
Wait, so this thread was some kind of test/experiment to see what people would say? The poster is not grieving the loss of his dog?

Pretty tacky to post in the grief and mourning forum then get upset that people are offering condolences and advice.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:56 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,007 times
sick sad weird and pretty much a karmic guarantee every pet he ever DOES have, will die on him.

Old 11-26-2014, 03:40 AM

8 posts, read 12,305 times
When i lost my solomon island eclectus parrot I knew it was the worst day i would ever have in my life. So now i do not fear death anymore. I was an atheist before i got her and she became my god.. had to get another one as i could not even look at her cage without crying .It has been 3 yrs. i am much better but i still cry when i talk about her like I am now..It was not as bad as when my mother or father died.. So if you think you are bad forget it..They say it takes time but I know nothing will make it easier for me..Good luck and If you decide to get another dog save a life at your humane society.They kill millions a year due to peoples ignorance of not neutering their animals

Old 11-26-2014, 10:42 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,195,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynj View Post
Wait, so this thread was some kind of test/experiment to see what people would say? The poster is not grieving the loss of his dog?

Pretty tacky to post in the grief and mourning forum then get upset that people are offering condolences and advice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
sick sad weird and pretty much a karmic guarantee every pet he ever DOES have, will die on him.
I got a "vibe" a few pages back. That is why I suggested, IMO, to move away from this thread. Maybe I was "getting" what he was posting a little more. I dunno. Whatever, if we choose to talk about our departed fur babies here though, I say "go for it!"

I am sorry to all of us who have known the heartache of losing a beloved companion.

Old 11-27-2014, 07:56 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,838,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meengla
Question: Have I gone too far in mourning? Is it okay to stay in grieving as long as it takes?
No not at all........ No one knows HOW MUCH YOU FEEL FOR YOUR DOG!!!!!

Dont let others dictate your reaction!!! -- We all love and miss loved ones IN OUR OWN WAYS!!!!!

Peace and love to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning