Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 06:33 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times

Advertisements

It makes me so mad when I hear people say "just cremate me". That's what MIL would say when I tried to discuss final expenses. Like cremation is free! Look, even a simple cremation can run up---there's transportation from wherever she died to the funeral home/facility, the actual cremation, storage of the body until its cremated, whatever urn or box its returned in unless you are ok with a Ziploc bag, then, WTH do you do with the box or baggie? Sit it on your mantel? I wonder how many ashes are eventually tossed out in the trash

Then, if you want to bury it, well, there's the cost of the grave or niche, and marker. Even if you have already bought the grave, you pay to open and close it---I was astounded, for my father, it was $800! We should have just had some friends with shovels

So, to say "just" cremate me is a complete cop out! Everyone should have at least a basic $2000 burial
policy or be left to rot

We had our cat put to sleep and they sent him home in a cardboard box they called a "coffin" charged $100 for it we buried him in the backyard. Too bad they can't do that for MIL---minus the cardboard coffin, of course

Last edited by MaryleeII; 12-18-2014 at 06:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linda814 View Post
Wow....she actually said that?
Yep, that's what she said

Old 12-18-2014, 07:09 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
There would be 4-6 mourners at any type of service, me and dh, BIL and his wife, and, possibly, my two teens. That's how I came to the 4-6 figure. However, there are only two siblings to share the costs.
If there are truly going to be only 4 to 6 people attending a funeral service, plus one sibling has absolutely no money, AND your MIL did not appear to care what happened (or she would have pre-paid her own funeral expenses) I would suggest to your husband to do the absolutely cheapest option available.

BTW, although I am not sure that they offer cardboard boxes for burial, funeral homes must offer simple wooden boxes (as some religions require that). When our mother died we asked about that, mainly out of curiosity, the least expensive casket (22 years ago) was about $2,000 and the wooden box cost about $200.

Last edited by germaine2626; 12-18-2014 at 07:18 PM..

Old 12-18-2014, 07:16 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
Quote:
It makes me so mad when I hear people say "just cremate me". That's what MIL would say when I tried to discuss final expenses. Like cremation is free! Look, even a simple cremation can run up---there's transportation from wherever she died to the funeral home/facility, the actual cremation, storage of the body until its cremated, whatever urn or box its returned in unless you are ok with a Ziploc bag, then, WTH do you do with the box or baggie? Sit it on your mantel? I wonder how many ashes are eventually tossed out in the trash

Then, if you want to bury it, well, there's the cost of the grave or niche, and marker. Even if you have already bought the grave, you pay to open and close it---I was astounded, for my father, it was $800! We should have just had some friends with shovels

So, to say "just" cremate me is a complete cop out! Everyone should have at least a basic $2000 burial
policy or be left to rot
No, cremation is not free. But it's much less expensive than a full funeral with a casket, a viewing, hired cars, a church ceremony, burial and reception.

This is your husband's mother. He has a voice in how much is spent, whether you agree with him or not.

And, btw, it is legal to have a "backyard burial" in many places.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
If there are truly going to be only 4 to 6 people attending a funeral service, plus one sibling has absolutely no money, AND your MIL did not appear to care what happened (or she would have pre-paid her own funeral expenses) I would suggest to your husband to do the absolutely cheapest option available.
That's what we will do, if we have a chance to do any planning. Right now, SIL is handling the arrangements, I'm not a part of it. I just hope she doesn't sign up for "the works" then expect us to pay. I told dh NOT to sign anything. Also, don't leave a deposit on a credit card. From what I remember from Business Law, if you make one payment on a contract, you've accepted the contract.

Reading through this thread, is obvious I really don't much care about MIL, jus the bill. Ok, well, I can't feign grief, and she really did pull some major crap on us just to be devilish. I can't waste any tears on her!

If I were making the arrangements, I would find the cheapest cremation service available, after all, it all results in the same thing, a box of ashes. Then, would buy a simple box or urn, then have it buried alongside her husband. The plot is paid for, except to open and close. Then, a simple graveside service. You can find preachers "cheap" through funeral homes, or sometimes the cemetery. Then, we all go to Golden Corral, everyone pay their own, we talk and say nice things about the deceased, then, that's it. Oh, I do have some frequent flyer miles I can cash in for flowers.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:26 PM

3,352 posts, read 2,823,762 times
My friend buried her husband in their backyard. ..not real close to the house but I saw the headstone...

Old 12-18-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
That's what we will do, if we have a chance to do any planning. Right now, SIL is handling the arrangements, I'm not a part of it. I just hope she doesn't sign up for "the works" then expect us to pay. I told dh NOT to sign anything. Also, don't leave a deposit on a credit card. From what I remember from Business Law, if you make one payment on a contract, you've accepted the contract.

Reading through this thread, is obvious I really don't much care about MIL, jus the bill. Ok, well, I can't feign grief, and she really did pull some major crap on us just to be devilish. I can't waste any tears on her!

If I were making the arrangements, I would find the cheapest cremation service available, after all, it all results in the same thing, a box of ashes. Then, would buy a simple box or urn, then have it buried alongside her husband. The plot is paid for, except to open and close. Then, a simple graveside service. You can find preachers "cheap" through funeral homes, or sometimes the cemetery. Then, we all go to Golden Corral, everyone pay their own, we talk and say nice things about the deceased, then, that's it. Oh, I do have some frequent flyer miles I can cash in for flowers.
Sounds good. ...

Old 12-18-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linda814 View Post
Sounds good. ...
Love the flower idea.....

Old 12-18-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
No, cremation is not free. But it's much less expensive than a full funeral with a casket, a viewing, hired cars, a church ceremony, burial and reception.

This is your husband's mother. He has a voice in how much is spent, whether you agree with him or not.

And, btw, it is legal to have a "backyard burial" in many places.
That's my whole point, Mattie. Its his mother, his money, he has every right to decide how he wishes to proceed. I'm just afraid it will go overboard bigtime and we will be stuck with the bill when we can barely pay our own bills. I am just here to vent, because I can't say anything to him that would be hurtful or upsetting. He's stood by me in my times of grief, now its my turn.

I don't know if its legal to do a backyard burial in Texas But if they opted to scatter the ashes, perhaps in her backyard garden? She loved her garden and spent many hours there..

Old 12-18-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:

policy or be left to rot

We had our cat put to sleep and they sent him home in a cardboard box they called a "coffin" charged $100 for it we buried him in the backyard. Too bad they can't do that for MIL---minus the cardboard coffin, of course
All we want is a direct cremation....we have a pension and money but still don't want all the hoopla and charges...sure it costs but not as much as some people pay...plus like I said we rented an empty Urn for show for $400 Even direct costs....it's ridiculous. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning