Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 10:24 AM

2,157 posts, read 1,442,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Do you anticipate some sort of problem, like someone calling police if you enter the home? Otherwise, if you have a key and it's your parents' home, I can't see the police demanding to see the will that names you executor.
No I don't expect any problems or a mad dash to run away with items. I was curious what the process was and didn't want to be clueless when the time came.

Thanks for ALL the replies everybody. They have all been very helpful and I think I have a better idea of what needs to be done.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:55 AM

5,587 posts, read 8,400,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
No I don't expect any problems or a mad dash to run away with items. I was curious what the process was and didn't want to be clueless when the time came.

Thanks for ALL the replies everybody. They have all been very helpful and I think I have a better idea of what needs to be done.
But on the other hand, that CAN be a problem. I can't tell you how many times I have heard that siblings had arguments because someone went in to the house and took some items. Hopefully if you have siblings, the will spells out very clearly who gets what, so there is no drama afterward.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:30 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,099,376 times
The rules about wills, probate, executors, etc. are different in different states. You need to find out how to proceed in your own location. Also, the stipulations of your parents will may be complex or simple. As someone mentioned earlier, you need to look at the will or trust, if your parents had such. Did your parents have a lawyer? If so, I would suggest consulting with him/her. If not, you may wish to find your own lawyer to work this out. My personal experience is that the best way to find a lawyer is to get a referral from a friend who has used a lawyer for similar services. Did either of your parents die while under hospice care? Some will offer free grief counseling and may help you to go in the right direction with these matters. I doubt that there is any problem with going into your parents' home to take care of it, access estate papers, etc.

Old 02-22-2015, 06:50 AM

50,345 posts, read 63,928,555 times
If the OP has siblings, I believe that legally the eldest son is the decision maker, or eldest daughter, if there are no sons. So if OP does not fall into that category, she should have the paperwork handy that shows she is executor.

Old 02-22-2015, 10:14 AM

8,270 posts, read 8,646,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
If the OP has siblings, I believe that legally the eldest son is the decision maker, or eldest daughter, if there are no sons. So if OP does not fall into that category, she should have the paperwork handy that shows she is executor.

Maybe in the Old Testament, not now. The executor makes the decisions and they don't have to be related.

Old 02-22-2015, 05:33 PM

50,345 posts, read 63,928,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Maybe in the Old Testament, not now. The executor makes the decisions and they don't have to be related.
I said, she'd need the paperwork. It is far from old testament. It is the way the system operates unless there are instructions otherwise.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:17 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,099,376 times
Your post said "When my last parent passes away." That implies that at least one of your parents is still alive. If he/she is still competent, this is the time to talk about where the paper work is, if it exists, who is the executor, etc. The more you prepare for this, the better off you will be when the time comes.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:42 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,570,310 times
Quote:
I said, she'd need the paperwork. It is far from old testament. It is the way the system operates unless there are instructions otherwise.
I've never heard of this. My executor is my Accountant, and I have four kids. The person making the will can choose whomever they want to be their executor, and they can even have co-executors. The executor can be a child, brother, sister, parent, aunt, uncle, cousin, niece, nephew, accountant, attorney, or the guy down the street........anyone who will be fair, good with money, responsible, and not get involved in the drama of settling the estate.

Oftentimes, if someone making a will knows that there will be lots of drama, back-stabbing, cheating, lying, etc., they'll choose their attorney, accountant, or a trustee of their bank to be their executor so no favoritism is shown. It's especially important to choose an outside executor if there is an adult child who is left out of your will, even though they'll probably get something of a handout from one of the siblings who inherits from the will, despite your best efforts to exclude the black sheep.

If no executor is designated in the will, the Probate Judge will appoint someone, usually a bank trustee.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:46 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,570,310 times
Quote:
There is no jurisdiction in the U.S. where that is a law. It may be a family or cultural tradition, but it is definitely not a law.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:46 AM

731 posts, read 1,579,244 times
OP should talk to an attorney and his last living parent in the state the parent lives in now before that parent dies. OP must be very young.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning