Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 10:09 AM

526 posts, read 1,413,905 times

Advertisements

It's ironic how a thread on the very real concern of not forgetting Widows seems to have forgetten Widowers.

As someone who lost his wife suddenly last year at an age, most would consider young, you could substitute "widower" for "widow" in those links and have a pretty good idea of how a widower feels also, after losing a spouse.

It's pretty much common knowledge most of the time, men do not initate and do the reaching out to people.
The couples you went to parties with and went out with, seem to have drifted away. You don't fit anymore.

So I say, please do not forget the widowers in your friend groups.
Maybe there are less of us because nature has dictated that woman live longer than men, but we are out there.
Hidden, out of sight usually, feeling the same pain, but different, as widows

Remember, in every couple, one of them will die first, one will survive, whether it's at 85 or 55 or 25.
So, in that vein, one spouse, in every couple, will experience the loss of a spouse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 07:23 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,127,330 times
I think a lot of people talk mean both men and women when they say "widows." The group that I participated in that I call the widow's support group is actually a "spousal loss support group" at Hospice Austin. Our group was half men, half women. I do not for a moment feel that men should be left out of the services than women may find, and I do not feel that men are less in need. Statistically, there are more widows than widowers, but each of us is not a statistic, and the pain of a spouse dying is real. And by the way, I have also spoken with a gay man who lost his partner to cancer. Whether or not one believes in gay marriage, people who have formed a long lasting, meaningful relationship suffer greatly when one of them dies. They are no different in this regard than anyone else.

I am sorry for your loss, and I do hope you are able to find whatever support you need.

Old 03-18-2015, 01:05 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,270,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boater1 View Post
It's ironic how a thread on the very real concern of not forgetting Widows seems to have forgetten Widowers.

As someone who lost his wife suddenly last year at an age, most would consider young, you could substitute "widower" for "widow" in those links and have a pretty good idea of how a widower feels also, after losing a spouse.

It's pretty much common knowledge most of the time, men do not initate and do the reaching out to people.
The couples you went to parties with and went out with, seem to have drifted away. You don't fit anymore.

So I say, please do not forget the widowers in your friend groups.
Maybe there are less of us because nature has dictated that woman live longer than men, but we are out there.
Hidden, out of sight usually, feeling the same pain, but different, as widows

Remember, in every couple, one of them will die first, one will survive, whether it's at 85 or 55 or 25.
So, in that vein, one spouse, in every couple, will experience the loss of a spouse
I don't think the OP was " forgetting" widower. The title says "Widowed". That refers to both sexes. Men ans women are widowed when their spouse dies. My dad was a widower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning