Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 02:46 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam1957 View Post
It's so nice to see everybody's different experiences. My heart goes out to all of you that are grieving your loved ones.

I did read all of the posts in the links that Tami provided and enjoyed every one of them.

I'm a newbie and making many mistakes as I try to learn to be a good participant on the threads. The last topic I started, I answered every reply and just learned that I should have just repped the posters and not answered every one unless it was pertinent info to the topic. I'm kindly asking that you point out any mistakes I'm making and I'll correct what I'm doing wrong.

It's comforting to read all of your stories and I appreciate your posting. Thank you!
Your very welcome and we all make mistakes.. I do it every day on here hahaha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 03:36 AM

977 posts, read 1,109,428 times
It has been interesting reading this thread. I'm not sure exactly what I believe about the possibility of contact with those who have passed, but I have wished for years that my Mother and Grandmother would reach me---have talked to them in my mind, have begged, scolded, pouted etc but have never felt them near. However, when I was in my early 20's many years ago, I woke my husband out of a sound sleep because I was so frightened by a vision I had----it seemed that my Grandfather, who had passed years before and who I was very close to, was standing at the foot of the bed. I think I WISH it were possible to be in contact with those who have died, but am skeptical...............but I don't mean any disrespect to those who have seemed to experience that---I am glad for you.

Old 03-23-2015, 03:54 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artangel View Post
It has been interesting reading this thread. I'm not sure exactly what I believe about the possibility of contact with those who have passed, but I have wished for years that my Mother and Grandmother would reach me---have talked to them in my mind, have begged, scolded, pouted etc but have never felt them near. However, when I was in my early 20's many years ago, I woke my husband out of a sound sleep because I was so frightened by a vision I had----it seemed that my Grandfather, who had passed years before and who I was very close to, was standing at the foot of the bed. I think I WISH it were possible to be in contact with those who have died, but am skeptical...............but I don't mean any disrespect to those who have seemed to experience that---I am glad for you.
of course Im skeptical too... but on the day before my mother died.. at least I think it was or a few days before, I went to visit her in hospital and she had a big smile on her face.. I said and whats making you so happy then....she said, oh it was just a dream but so real then went on to tell me that two of her older sisters, both dead had come walking up the ward and fixed her pillows.. whatever it was made a very ill woman every happy only days before she passed, so who knows..

Old 03-23-2015, 05:53 AM

1,134 posts, read 1,124,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artangel View Post
Try talking to your loved ones out loud and maybe they'll send you some signs. By your story of your Grandfather, he may have been letting you know that he's with you in spirit.

Even if you're skeptical, I appreciate your positive feedback on the subject.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:08 AM

1,134 posts, read 1,124,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Your very welcome and we all make mistakes.. I do it every day on here hahaha
Quote:
of course Im skeptical too... but on the day before my mother died.. at least I think it was or a few days before, I went to visit her in hospital and she had a big smile on her face.. I said and whats making you so happy then....she said, oh it was just a dream but so real then went on to tell me that two of her older sisters, both dead had come walking up the ward and fixed her pillows.. whatever it was made a very ill woman every happy only days before she passed, so who knows..
I think that's so interesting. They say a lot of people who are dying see loved ones that have passed on right before they die. I love these stories!

This will be my first multiple quote... let's see if it works! haha

Old 03-23-2015, 09:02 AM

187 posts, read 195,201 times
I'm going to shorten this story up as not to take up an entire computer screens worth.

My best friend died very suddenly and unexpectedly back in 2002. approx six months before his death he and I had a huge falling out over some things and had not spoken to one another from that point forward.

Approx. one month after his death I was laying in bed attempting to fall asleep for the night. I was in between consciousness and sleep when I ""viewed"" my friend standing in the doorway of my bedroom. He was backlit and was appearing a silhouette.

He told me that we hadn't gotten a chance to make amends with one another and that he was sorry for what had happened.
He then went on to say that he would see me soon but not that soon.

The next morning I woke up and knew immediately that he visited me. It didn't feel like a dream because I wasn't quite asleep or awake but in that murky middle ground where your mind is still and open.

About a week after his visit I decided to call his sister to tell her what had happened.
After I told her she said I was the first non family member that he had visited after his death and that he had been communicating the same way for over a month with her and his parents almost nightly.
I called her around four years ago to say hello and to ask if he had made any further contact with her or the rest of the family.
She said visits would occur around Christmas and his birthday up to around 2008 but nothing since that time.

My friend gave me a precious gift by visiting me, not just to say goodbye and to settle things but to also prove to me that life does not end when we die, far from it.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:39 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times
Quote:
Tamiznluv,

Thank you so very much for posting these other threads. I did do a search before I started the topic, but I guess I should have used other terms. Another lesson learned.

I can't wait to check out all the other links and I apologize to anyone that might think, "Ut oh, another newbie's at it!"
Quote:
It's so nice to see everybody's different experiences. My heart goes out to all of you that are grieving your loved ones.

I did read all of the posts in the links that Tami provided and enjoyed every one of them.

I'm a newbie and making many mistakes as I try to learn to be a good participant on the threads. The last topic I started, I answered every reply and just learned that I should have just repped the posters and not answered every one unless it was pertinent info to the topic. I'm kindly asking that you point out any mistakes I'm making and I'll correct what I'm doing wrong.

It's comforting to read all of your stories and I appreciate your posting. Thank you!
That's okay, cam, I just wanted you to see the other threads and stories. Much easier to put them in one place. Only thing wrong with the search option is it needs to be exact wording and as you can see it didn't work for you. No probs, at least you tried the proper way first!

I haven't found a penny in a long time, nor have I smelled his aftershave lately. I do sometimes have dreams of him and I am always happy after them.

Another thing I don't see very often anymore are men wearing the same hat he used to wear. I used to see them frequently in the beginning.

Maybe, in the beginning, spirits contact us by whatever means possible and then once they know we are at peace and accept, they can RIP and the messages get few and far between? Just a theory. I hope our departed are super busy and happy over on the other side.

Old 03-23-2015, 10:03 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:
The day before my mother passed, my dad said she was suddenly animated and talking to someone at the foot of her bed and was so happy to see her. He was sure it was her oldest sister, come to guide her home. And he wasn't religious at all.

Old 03-23-2015, 10:22 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
This is a similar story and no way can I explain how this happened other than my dad had a hand in it.

My dad was a very financially-minded person. He was always on top of everything and had things to a letter when he passed. One of the things we joked about was when I got married and he came to Vegas to give me away. He said there were a bunch of things he always said he'd never do, and Vegas was one of them. The other one was buying a timeshare. Well, before my wedding, I had bought timeshare points off eBay very cheap, like $1000, and we were able to use those points to stay in Vegas for a week. My dad was so impressed with the property, he decided to buy points for all of us to share.

Fast forward several years later, we were always vacationing together all over the place, and loved our timeshare points. He bought another property, and then a few years later, we bought another one, which put us all in VIP status.

When my dad died suddenly, we had already been planning a trip to Vegas, so we took all of the appropriate documentation to take to the office to have his name removed and all of our properties consolidated. As we were doing this, we were told if we put a little extra in, we could gain an upper echelon of VIP status. I don't know what we were thinking (or drinking) that day, but foolishly, we did it, and when all was said and done, we had given them $12k out of my dad's life insurance money, and wound up with another $500 payment a month, when we had already paid off all the other properties and were enjoying them with only a mere $100 maintenance fee per month.

I can't tell you how we kicked ourselves over that, but we know how it is, and you can't take it back. Anyone who owns a timeshare knows how hard it is to get the corporate folks to fix errors and such, and there was no way they were going to let us reneg on the deal, it had gone too long past our buyer's remorse deadline. We were now in debt worse than we had been before my dad passed, and we were really hurting financially. So stupid.

Anyway, about 6 months later, we got a letter in the mail from the timeshare corporate offices, and it said that some of my dad's information couldn't be verified, therefore, they were giving us back our money, but for our trouble, we got to keep the extra points we got for making the purchase. We both thought, what the hell? No way.

Sure enough, when we checked our bank accounts, all of our earnest money and down payment was returned, along with all of our monthly payments we'd paid.

Thanks Dad. We know it was you.

Old 03-23-2015, 10:26 AM

8,514 posts, read 4,493,384 times
I've had a number of signs from my mother who passed away in April 2009. She had been a smoker, then diagnosed with COPD, and quit smoking. For years, she used kitchen matches to act as a substitute cigarette. Hey it worked for her. Before her passing, she told me that I would probably find these matches for years.

Her prediction was correct.I have found these matches around the house for years. No reason when and where they appear. They just appear. Her way of stopping to say hi.

Then there was this...I was going thru some old photos, and dropped the box. Her old drivers license resurfaced, and directly behind it was this business card for an insurance agent which had the following phrase, "You never know when you may need to reach me. Now you know you always can." The card also has a background of stars, and the moon. I never saw this card while she was alive, and I had accessed her Driver's license for her ID a number of times. But never this business card.

My mother leaves me calling cards between the matches and the business card!! There are other signs, too, especially in photos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning