Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 04:54 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,541,448 times

Advertisements

I think it ALL depends on the situation of the death.

NO ONE in their right mind would celebrate and party after the death of a child, a person who committed suicide, was killed by a drunk driver, an accident of any kind, or a homicide victim.

If an older person lived a good long life, then a Celebration of Life is appropriate as long as the immediate family agrees to it. By saying a "Celebration of Life", I don't mean a bunch of people getting together and getting drunk as a way of celebrating. That's just a sad excuse to get drunk IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2015, 05:19 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
Because the time to celebrate a person's life is when he's alive. That's why we have birthdays and anniversaries.

Old 12-19-2015, 05:35 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,338,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
This. When someone I love dies, it leaves a hole in my heart that cannot be filled, no matter how long I live after them, until (as I believe) I die and am with them once again.

To me, the death of a loved one is most definitely not a time for rejoicing. Maybe they are rejoicing in the light on the other side (I hope so) but I'm still stuck here in the dark without my beloved friend or relative to brighten my days.

I so agree with this! This is my first Christmas after loosing my life partner and of course I have lost some loved ones before too, and you are right, it never gets easier here, in fact it can get harder as their memories begin to fade as time goes on.

Old 12-19-2015, 05:46 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,541,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowchaser2002 View Post
I so agree with this! This is my first Christmas after loosing my life partner and of course I have lost some loved ones before too, and you are right, it never gets easier here, in fact it can get harder as their memories begin to fade as time goes on.
So sorry that you'll be going through this Christmas without your partner. I can't imagine the feeling of loss. I hope you have other loved ones to spend the day with and that your good memories will help get you through the day. (HUGS)

Old 12-19-2015, 05:49 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,338,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
So sorry that you'll be going through this Christmas without your partner. I can't imagine the feeling of loss. I hope you have other loved ones to spend the day with and that your good memories will help get you through the day. (HUGS)
Thanks so much! I have some dear friends and my sister who will be in town this year, I must admit I love the holidays but this year I am secretly wishing 2016 would get here!!! Thanks for the warm words!

Old 12-19-2015, 09:02 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
I am sorry for those who lost a person they loved this year. It's hard to go into the new year without them.

Today I learned of the death of someone who was once a very good friend. She died more than a year ago, but I only found out today. It was news I always knew I would hear, because she was the worst alcoholic I ever met, but for a few years she was sober, and the funny, warm, loving person she really was shone through. I spent all day in mourning, but now I think I can concentrate on the good times we shared and hear her infectious laugh in my memory.

Old 12-19-2015, 10:27 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
My question is this? Why do we look at death as a time for grief and mourning and not as a time for rejoicing and celebration of the life that was spent with us and in this world? I know this is kind of a psychological/philosophical question and maybe this isn't the right forum. But anyway, are you ok that others will grieve at your funeral and afterward or would you prefer that they accept the eventuality and perhaps even celebrate your passing, as some people say they do?

I hope no one takes offense at this question because it is not intended to offend anyone here. I have thought about this after seeing how others in my own family have reacted, some with grief and some without showing any, seeming more like accepting, although who knows if they are just hiding it.

I understand what you're saying, but do you really think that a 14-year-old girl whose mother dies in a car accident wouldn't view that as a reason for grief or mourning? How about a mother whose baby dies?

Grief and mourning are personal and subjective things.

Old 12-20-2015, 12:37 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,571,496 times
My dad died of cancer at age 67 in 1989. My youngest son had just been born, and my other kids were 5, 13 and 16. I was an only child and my mom had died five months earlier. Both were cremated. My dad had always been in a Jazz band all his life. He played Swing, Dixieland and Dance. Instead of a funeral, we had a Celebration of Life, and his band members (they were all physicians, too who played for fun and recreation at parties, weddings, etc) played some of his favorite songs. The best one was "When The Saints Come Marching In". Everyone was singing and clapping. My dad would have been so happy. We had a buffet table with lots of food, people mingled, and shared wonderful memories of him. It was a beautiful time, a true celebration. When my husband died, we did the same thing. He had said he loved my dad's Celebration, and wanted an upbeat happy celebration, too. So I did. There was no alcohol at either one, only soft drinks, tea, coffee and water. Both were at the Mortuary, and my husband was also cremated. My mom, dad and husband's ashes are scattered over the hills behind our old house with a clear view of Pikes Peak. Someday, I'll join them, but I don't want any service at all...

Old 12-20-2015, 12:54 AM

652 posts, read 873,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
I understand what you're saying, but do you really think that a 14-year-old girl whose mother dies in a car accident wouldn't view that as a reason for grief or mourning? How about a mother whose baby dies?

Grief and mourning are personal and subjective things.

It depends on the relationship with the mother.

Old 12-20-2015, 01:48 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times
Losing someone who has lived a full life is totally different from losing a child... An older person I can take onboard as inevitable and enjoy some banter from the minister telling personal stories from family .. but not when its a child or younger person...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning