Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 09:21 AM

112 posts, read 103,428 times

Advertisements

How do you feel about a person who falls in love with someone a month after their spouse dies?
I dont mean casual dating, or company...I mean all out "you are the ONE. Let's get married?"
What are your thoughts?
Is there a time limit as to when someone should fall in love?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2015, 09:24 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,284,192 times
If that person is the one, it's up to you how you deal with grieving.

I think other people who judge someone on the amount of time they grieve is shallow. Each person grieves in their own way. In may case, knowing who I am, if that scenario occurred I'd be comfortable in my own skin.

Old 12-24-2015, 06:35 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,737,232 times
Falling for someone quickly is fine but my advice would be not to rush into marriage. Enjoy the new love before committing to a future together.

Old 12-27-2015, 03:58 PM

39 posts, read 37,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerciChoi View Post
How do you feel about a person who falls in love with someone a month after their spouse dies?
I dont mean casual dating, or company...I mean all out "you are the ONE. Let's get married?"
What are your thoughts?

I would think they didn't love nor care about their deceased husband/wife. No one who has lost a loved one could possibly grieve properly within a month. If there are children involved it shows little thought for them and their grief, would be traumatic to see their parent loving another.

It also shows little respect for the memory of the spouse who passed away.

Old 12-27-2015, 04:30 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,737,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Pepys View Post
I would think they didn't love nor care about their deceased husband/wife. No one who has lost a loved one could possibly grieve properly within a month. If there are children involved it shows little thought for them and their grief, would be traumatic to see their parent loving another.

Shows little respect is BS. When is see posts like this I often think someone is calling the spouse over to say see, Honey, I do love you and there could never be anyone else for me. I would trust that type person the least.

I say we can control our emotions but they happen. I believe to some that the sooner they move on, the better they will be. Not all, but each person is an individual. I say a truly loving spouse would want their spouse to get on with life and being happy even without them.

I do agree that considering what others (children, family) might think is normal/polite and that has to be tread on lightly.

Last edited by johngolf; 12-27-2015 at 04:52 PM..

Old 12-27-2015, 05:01 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,442,098 times
A man's wife died. Within a few weeks he married a next door neighbor and soon there was an article about them in a magazine. There was no mention at all of the man's late wife. It seemed very strange. It was as if the deceased woman never existed, yet they'd been married many years and had grandchildren.

Old 12-27-2015, 05:04 PM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times
So many questions, that it is impossible to answer. How old is the person? Was she happily married? Did she know the new person before?
I would not judge, but if I were close to this person, I would caution her about, marry in haste, repent at leisure.

I know an older woman, whose husband died. They were "comfortably off", so it isn't as though she needed the security. She married an old guy who she had known for years. He was rich and they shared some common friends and history, etc. She soon found out that he was a major stick in the mud, who didn't want to socialize at all...especially with her friends he didn't know. I don't know what happened, since I moved, but I bet she regretted marrying him.

Old 12-27-2015, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Shows little respect is BS. When is see posts like this I often think someone is calling the spouse over to say see, Honey, I do love you and there could never be anyone else for me. I would trust that type person the least.

I say we can control our emotions but they happen. I believe to some that the sooner they move on, the better they will be. Not all, but each person is an individual. I say a truly loving spouse would want their spouse to get on with life and being happy even without them.

I do agree that considering what others (children, family) might think is normal/polite and that has to be tread on lightly.

The natural reaction normally, on losing a beloved spouse is to grieve for them, is it not? We aretalking one month ahead. I would say the bereaved did not have deep feelings for their lost spouse to find it within themselves to fall head over heels in a matter of weeks.

Sure we would want our spouse to not grieve forever, but a month?

BTW I have lost someone dear to me a few months ago, and it would not be possible to call my spouse over to come look at what I typed for various reasons. Thanks.

Old 12-27-2015, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
A man's wife died. Within a few weeks he married a next door neighbor and soon there was an article about them in a magazine. There was no mention at all of the man's late wife. It seemed very strange. It was as if the deceased woman never existed, yet they'd been married many years and had grandchildren.

I hope they did an autopsy/ post mortem on his forgotten wife.

Old 12-27-2015, 05:43 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,372,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerciChoi View Post
What are your thoughts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Pepys View Post

This just NOT sound normal..unless and of course he/she (OP) is falling for the feeling needy..and person is filling some void...But, surely IF this person, who is so so attractive, compelling..has some decency!!

Sorry OP..I find your question rather transparent..unless of course you actually really don't give two hoots about your deceased spouse!! Humming now...I say questioning the marriage of this deceased and OP..Something is amiss!!

Geesh...nothing wrong with moving on..but..even before bones are cooled off in grave...GMAFB
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning