Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2015, 10:35 PM

12 posts, read 10,642 times

Advertisements

it was in 2008 when my mother passed away and I was only 14 at the time and now I'm 21, I still feel like the death of my mother was such a horrible thing to ever happen to me and I feel like it was a curse and bad luck, ever since I have been thinking about it and still cannot stop thinking about it, I still feel very uncomfortable when people talk about my mom and them thinking that she is still alive, I burst in tears sometimes when people ask me how my mother is? but not infront of them, I usually get emotional right after I have the conversation with them, these people don't know that she is dead and so it bothers me when they talk about her when shes dead, how do I get over this? how do I tell people that my mother is not alive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2015, 07:08 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,131,959 times
When someone makes the assumption that you have a living mother (which is pretty natural, as most people your age do,) I would simply say "I'm sorry, but my mother passed away several years ago." You do not have to explain any further if you don't want to. Also realize that no one is making this assumption to hurt you - they don't know. Are you in college? If so, you might want to go to the counseling office there, which may be free, to discuss this. My husband did that when he was in college, concerning his father, and he has always felt that it was really helpful in helping him to go on in life without the burdens he was carrying. It is normal to miss those we love whom we have lost, even for many years. But you lost your mom when you were a child. That is a very hard thing. If your grief interferes with your life after seven years, I think it may be time to seek some counseling. It could make a real difference in your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning