Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 06:54 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
KathrynAragon, I am so, so sorry you have had to experience this. The passing of a dear parent must be so difficult. Anyone who has read your posts would know that you are an exceptionally perceptive, honest, kind, and intelligent person. It is very troubling to have a family member think and behave in manipulative, selfish ways. None of what your brother has tried to do can actually change the truth about you. Anyone who chooses to be influenced by his lies and deviousness is not thinking straight.

How wonderful it is that you had such great father! All that love is real and can never been taken away from you.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I was incredibly blessed to have the dad I had. Today I found a video of him standing in my kitchen, reciting a poem from memory, from about two years ago. Honestly, it was like watching him in person. When I see something like that, I can't believe he's gone. But I am so grateful to have the few videos I do have of him.

Also, the very last picture I took of him - maybe the last photo of him ever - is of him smiling as he sits on my back patio. His eyes are so warm and gentle, and his beautiful hands are folded across his little belly, very clearly accentuated in the photo. God knew how much I loved his hands, and He also knew that I always liked that I got the "girl version" of his hands - strong and square but not big and clumsy, with nimble and strong fingers. In fact, when I was standing at his casket with several family members and I exclaimed, "Oh look at his hands - I always loved them so," and put my hand on top of his, my daughter gasped and said, "Mom, I never noticed it before, but look - your thumb and little finger are exactly like his!"

Anyway, that very last photo I have of him is very, very precious to me - but poignant also because it was taken probably just a week before his stroke, and of course none of us had any idea that would be the last time he sat so contentedly on our back patio, enjoying one of his last beautiful autumn days on this earth.

Wow.

Old 12-22-2016, 08:20 PM

7,050 posts, read 6,305,249 times
Oh, Kathryn, I am so glad you have that picture & the memories that arise from viewing it. How precious is that? You create a beautiful picture that we can see/envision through your eyes.

Old 12-30-2016, 08:29 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,982,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
. In fact, it may be a part of the problem. I am so tired of having to be so strong." And he shocked me by saying, "That's just it - you don't have to be so strong all the time. You can let down that wall from time to time. You don't HAVE to carry all of it all the time all by yourself."
Hi KA,
I think this could be part of my problem also as I don't know what to do right now.

I'm sorry for what you are going thru, its not right, you need time to mourn, let the kids think what they want, your dad left you in charge and you are doing what he wanted. Try and not let their opinions take over your life. I know it hurts you but you have just lost your father. You do not need all of this going on.
I wish I could say more to make you feel better.

As another member posted you were one of their favorites here, you were one of mine also. I haven't been active here for a long time. Maybe I should read some of the posts in other topics so I can laugh.

Old 12-30-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rural lady View Post
Hi KA,
I think this could be part of my problem also as I don't know what to do right now.

I'm sorry for what you are going thru, its not right, you need time to mourn, let the kids think what they want, your dad left you in charge and you are doing what he wanted. Try and not let their opinions take over your life. I know it hurts you but you have just lost your father. You do not need all of this going on.
I wish I could say more to make you feel better.

As another member posted you were one of their favorites here, you were one of mine also. I haven't been active here for a long time. Maybe I should read some of the posts in other topics so I can laugh.
Awwww, thank you!

I'm not going to sugar coat it - I was sad off and on over Christmas. I missed my kids and grandkids on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. But I am not going to tolerate bad behavior from adults just so I can be around grandkids. So instead, my husband and I made plans to spend Christmas with his brother and wife in Fort Worth - and we had a very pleasant time.

I had an epiphany moment on Christmas Eve that really helped me. We went to Christmas Eve services at my brother in law's beautiful church in Fort Worth. Wow, it was a gorgeous building, and the acoustics were amazing, and the music was simply fantastic. As I sat and listened to those timeless Christmas hymns, and as I sang Joy To the World with that packed congregation, everyone lifting up their voices in praise to honor Christ the King, I suddenly FELT what I already knew - that Christmas simply isn't about us. We like to say that "Christmas is about family," and "Christmas is for kids," and all that stuff - but I suddenly realized that if I were completely alone - I'd go to church on Christmas Eve and focus on the real meaning of the holiday, and I think I'd be OK.

That moment of thanksgiving - for the birth of Jesus, not for anything else - got me through the rest of the weekend in fine form!

I called and talked to all my grandkids the next day and that was sweet. I wouldn't tell my kids this (I think my daughter has the propensity to use her kids as an excuse to allow her own bad behavior) but guess what - I survived without their drama, and I even survived without their kids. I am sick and tired of their ridiculous behavior and I'm not going to put up with it, even if it means spending holidays and special occasions without them.

I doubt that will be the case forever, but they are going to either take my personal boundaries to heart, or they are going to live without much of me in their lives - their choice and maybe they're fine with the second choice, but if they're OK with that then we don't have a relationship that's as important to them as it is to me, and I need to build my life with that in mind.

All is quiet on the western front, by the way. We defused my brother, apparently. He was at the root of a lot of this. My husband called him and shamed him basically. He also told him that if he continued to act in such a paranoid, harmful, destructive way, he was going to call his mental healthcare program and alert them to his increased paranoia as well as his threatening behaviors. THAT got his attention - he doesn't want them to be called, that's for sure. So anyway, he calmed down.

I'm not feeding the bears. I'm not talking with them, I'm not pursuing them, heck, I'm not even answering most of their calls. (My oldest son has called several times and the only call I took was on Christmas Day and I kept it very short - he started trying to "talk things out" and immediately started on an accusatory footing, and I said, "I'm not going to argue with you or sit here and defend myself, especially on Christmas Day" and he immediately backed off. I kept the conversation very short and simply said "Merry Christmas, hope you have a great day, I love you, gotta go" basically.)

My youngest son, who completely ignored me over Christmas, along with my mother (what a self centered person he is) is now posting pictures of my mother and me on Facebook, with sweet little comments. Not quite sure what that's all about but I'm not particularly impressed. He has a long way to go to patch things up with me and FB posts aren't going to cut it.

My youngest daughter, who has four of my grandkids, is pleasant and polite when I call to talk with the kids, and I'm pleasant and polite with her - and I keep it very short with her. I'm not going to beg to see those kids though. She needs to get her head together, I'm not kidding.

I thank God every day for my oldest daughter and her sweet husband and their four kids. Though they live several states away, we stay in close contact and try to see each other as often as possible. Seeing her family the week before Christmas was WONDERFUL and very healing. Her kids are so open and so loving, and she and I always have a great time together. We didn't talk about a single negative thing - all we did was love on kids, sip on homemade eggnog, go sledding, play Tickle Monster (silly family game) and just soak up love. It was wonderful and reminded me of how healthy and loving relationships CAN and SHOULD be.

Once again, my husband has been a ROCK. He is so loving and kind to me. He is gentle and faithful and supportive.

He felt so bad for me that he bought me a car for Christmas - LOL. OK, seriously, we were already looking at vehicles to replace my car that was 7 years old and we just happened to get a great deal on one the week of Christmas. He took me to the dealership to pick it up the Friday before Christmas - a cherry red Ford Explorer! He has had some grief with his son this past year and he is very empathetic toward me. He also lost both his parents within the same year we lost my dad. So he's very, very understanding.

We've had a really tough two years, with a lot of grief. I think the thing that is the most hurtful is that both our adult kids apparently lack empathy or understanding and seem to be very, very self absorbed. It's like they do not even acknowledge the fact that WE are hurting and grieving. They expect us to be "sensitive to their feelings" and cater to their feelings, but they have absolutely no idea how heavy our load has been - nor, apparently, do they care. In fact, they don't mind adding to it at ALL.

All I can say is that karma is going to hunt them down one day - it may be too late for us to patch things up but I have a feeling they will recall how they treated me and at least wince a little at the memory.

I have noticed that my youngest daughter, who lives one hour away, has come to see my mother exactly once since the funeral. This from the young woman who promised my mother and me that she planned to come EVERY SATURDAY to spend a few hours with her grandmother. Yeah. I notice how well that's working out. Meanwhile, I spend several hours every day either with my mom, or working on estate stuff - sometimes both.

NO ONE is helping me, except for my husband, who is gone two weeks out of every month so his help is limited. My brother who lives many states away has come down twice, so that's a help, but it's not help on a daily basis, though I really, really do appreciate him. My other brother - well, I guess him NOT raising hell is about as much help as I can expect from him. He and I are talking now that my husband shamed him into shape, but all he talks about is how HE is working through "the five stages of grief." It's still always and only about him. His grief, his feelings, his concerns.

Sheeze, what is wrong with all these people????????????? How on earth did nearly my entire family become so incredibly self centered? Even my mom - yes, I know she has deep needs at this point - but she's only continuing her lifelong pattern of being incredibly self centered, and demanding of my time. I've started sharing the complexities of working on the estate with her in an attempt to let her know that not only am I coming to see her and do things with her in person several times a week, I'm also spending hours each week just working on "her" stuff.

I have several very good friends who have told me, in all seriousness, to focus on taking care of myself for a few weeks, and I've taken their advice. Actually it was forced on me because, as I feared, I ended up getting so sick that I actually had to go to BED for a week. I lost my voice for a week too, so it was ironically obvious to everyone that I really was sick as a dog. This was two weeks before Christmas. I am still hoarse from it but I feel a lot better since I finally got some rest, even if it was rest with a fever and Nyquil and TheraFlu!

Anyway, I AM pacing myself now. After getting so sick, I realized I really do have to take care of my own needs first. That's an alien thought to me. But it makes sense at this point in my life.

Old 12-31-2016, 10:51 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,424,866 times
I'm glad you are such a strong woman. This stuff is hard.
Here's to a wonderful new year!

Old 12-31-2016, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I'm glad you are such a strong woman. This stuff is hard.
Here's to a wonderful new year!
Thank you and back atcha!

Sheeze, I hope 2017 is better than 2016 was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning