Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 12:48 AM

5,592 posts, read 8,417,189 times

Advertisements

I got a suspicious direct message from someone tonight. This person has zero posts and no profile, but said he/she had read about "my losses", and was also grieving from some losses and would like to be my friend. The name was generic and there was no city identified. I haven't posted anything about any losses lately, there was no link to a post of mine and when I have posted about a loss, it's *one* loss, not "losses".

I'm always getting those fake Facebook friend requests and now this sounds like it could be another scam. Maybe this person is trolling the Grief forum looking for vulnerable folks. Just wanted to let you guys know to be careful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 01:47 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,110,013 times
Thanks for that. I have received two friends requests through this forum over the years. I'm not sure what benefit it is to have the "friends" designation, so I have just ignored them. But yes, you are right to check them out.

Old 11-27-2017, 03:04 AM

21,565 posts, read 8,743,307 times
Thank you, Avalon08. I never accept FB or C-D friend requests from people I don't know.

Old 11-27-2017, 02:18 PM

Just to clarify, it wasn't a "friend request", it was a direct message. I suppose this person wanted me to message back and then who knows what would happen after that. I did not respond but a mischievous part of me wanted to play along. But I did want to warn my friends here because the "fellow griever" could be trolling us.

Old 11-27-2017, 02:20 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,890,988 times
If I recognize the poster asking friendship I go along...anyone else, delete.

Old 11-28-2017, 08:45 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,221,830 times
Was this person a member, Avalon? I swear I have seen "non-member" on some nickname(s) before. Good call to ignore. Have you reported this to a head mod?

Thank you for posting the warning.

Old 11-28-2017, 01:53 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,114,381 times
yes thank you Avalon . a lot of people contact me and I don't respond to them for this very reason . thanks for the heads up and this reminds us to keep aware of what is going on around us.

Old 11-28-2017, 03:24 PM

6,833 posts, read 11,571,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Was this person a member, Avalon? I swear I have seen "non-member" on some nickname(s) before. Good call to ignore. Have you reported this to a head mod?

If you are reading an old post, and the poster subsequently has deactivated their account, then it shows “not a member.”

Old 11-28-2017, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post

This person was a "junior member", zero posts, and now that I re-read his/her message, he/she actually joined "just because of me".....awwwww. I didn't report it *just in case* it was a real person, but seriously, this message could have been sent to any of us, because it's so non-specific (which post, which thread, etc.). And somebody just might fall for it.

Quote:
I read your post about your losses and I am so sorry. I, too am still grieving over my losses and would love to be your friend. Please message me if you are interested. I know I did not put up a profile yet and I just joined city data. I actually joined becasue of you..your post touched me much. Please take care...Sidellann

Old 11-28-2017, 11:02 PM

32,960 posts, read 36,433,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
This person was a "junior member", zero posts, and now that I re-read his/her message, he/she actually joined "just because of me".....awwwww. I didn't report it *just in case* it was a real person, but seriously, this message could have been sent to any of us, because it's so non-specific (which post, which thread, etc.). And somebody just might fall for it.
I wouldn't like that at all, unless that person is planning to post about a loss and you inspired them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning