Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 08:30 AM

2,258 posts, read 1,137,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
I am pretty good about keeping decluttered. I am, however, planning on leaving some things for people to be surprised about. Along with valuable stuff there will be a few oddities in the safe deposit box.

I'm hiding somethings in the attic eaves and the barn. Not precious things - just look what I found - why was it put here? - type of things. I think I still have a lot of years ahead of me, but one never knows. I won't live where I am at forever, and I won't know if someone finds coins, antique buttons, or pottery I created, or whatnot 100 years from now, but it might be interesting for someone. If not, I won't know that, either.
I definitely need to do this with my house. Some interesting things tucked away in certain places that people wouldnt clean out. Ill just have to test how vinyl records do in the attic. I imagine not very well. maybe in tin foil. Maybe some sweet tarts, pictures, the possibilities are endless.

Had a dream with my Dad in it the other night. So now those begin. House is sold, cant go back there. I know that if I ask my parents questions in my dreams the answers are really just coming from my own head. But, might as well ask just in case I get a surprising answer. Its a good thing I have them on video so I dont have to depend on dreams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2019, 10:27 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,647,756 times
I am going through the same situation as the OP. Question, my dad passed and my mom is still here but she doesn't have a job or money to pay for the rest of the childhood house I grew up in (still owes money on the house). Would starting a gofundme be ethical to pay for the costs of getting the house ready to sell a good idea?

Old 05-14-2019, 01:14 PM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
This is more commonly handled with a bridge loan or loan from relatives at a nominal interest, to be repaid at closing. Sorry for the loss of your dad.

Old 05-20-2019, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
I am going through the same situation as the OP. Question, my dad passed and my mom is still here but she doesn't have a job or money to pay for the rest of the childhood house I grew up in (still owes money on the house). Would starting a gofundme be ethical to pay for the costs of getting the house ready to sell a good idea?
Depending on the area its in you would probably sell as is. Thats what we did. We were lucky that we got more than asking price for it.

Old 05-23-2019, 04:33 PM

831 posts, read 1,964,679 times
Nothing of value to add, except I have been lurking on this post since your beginning (Harry Hemi).

It's mostly with envy, because I'd give anything to have been given the opportunity to keep my childhood home. Unfortunately we lived with my grandparents and that house was sold and split between 4 siblings, and has now moved out of the half million dollar stratosphere which is unattainable for me.

I have a long time friend who just recently with her sister inherited her childhood home and I'm finding myself eaten up with envy. She is as put off by the expense/ inconvenience of it like it was a trip to the post office at Christmas. An annoyance to her and I want to come out of my skin when she grumbles about it. I'd sell duplicate organs to be in her position.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DogNight View Post
Nothing of value to add, except I have been lurking on this post since your beginning (Harry Hemi).

It's mostly with envy, because I'd give anything to have been given the opportunity to keep my childhood home. Unfortunately we lived with my grandparents and that house was sold and split between 4 siblings, and has now moved out of the half million dollar stratosphere which is unattainable for me.

I have a long time friend who just recently with her sister inherited her childhood home and I'm finding myself eaten up with envy. She is as put off by the expense/ inconvenience of it like it was a trip to the post office at Christmas. An annoyance to her and I want to come out of my skin when she grumbles about it. I'd sell duplicate organs to be in her position.
Well remember if you read the whole thread, several people have said that keeping the house gets old. You eventually sell it as memories fade with time as well as sentimental feelings.
People in person told me the same thing. That’s how I rationalize it, as I kind of wanted to keep the house but I didn’t want to sell my own and move back to the old neighborhood.

Old 05-24-2019, 05:09 AM

831 posts, read 1,964,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
Well remember if you read the whole thread, several people have said that keeping the house gets old. You eventually sell it as memories fade with time as well as sentimental feelings.
People in person told me the same thing. That’s how I rationalize it, as I kind of wanted to keep the house but I didn’t want to sell my own and move back to the old neighborhood.

Oh I do remember, and that's their opinion - I understand you didn't want to move back. Holding onto it for the sake of holding onto it and not living there is just a burden, that's true. My husband wouldn't either if he were in your shoes. I'm glad it worked out for you - IIRC we may be talking about the same geographical area.

I see homes all over where I currently live where you know an elderly person has passed but they let the home rot to the ground, relatives neither sell nor live there ever again until it is vandalized or leveled because it's sold with a large parcel of land or damaged beyond habitability. It's like living in a taunting situation. Drives me nuts.

I want mine to live in, which is why I said what I said. I have no attachment to where I currently live.

Old 05-24-2019, 08:19 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Well I've read the whole thread and wow, I can really relate.

I had to help my mom sell my dad's old homestead when he passed - it was in rural Arkansas and Mom sure wasn't going to move there and didn't want the responsibility of it. The house had been build by my ancestors in the 1800s. My dad grew up there. It was a working farm for many years, with a chair factory and a cotton gin and ponds and roads and fields and orchards and barns and chicken houses, other outbuildings, even a country store. But when I was growing up, around that time (1960s or 1970s) the businesses were slowly closed down as the heirs retired, and used the home as a vacation home - so you can imagine how it was not kept up particularly well.

Then my dad bought it from a cousin in the early 2000s and he and my mom moved in. They did a lot of upgrades but WOW it was a lot of work. My dad found all kinds of family treasures - including cool stuff in the barns, handmade furniture, old letters from the 1930s and 1940s, and even old ledgers from the various businesses, dating back to the 1800s. Lots of really cool stuff.

So this was the home base that was always the touchstone of my life. Every summer we would visit for about two weeks. Often we would also visit at Christmas. This is where family reunions were. This is where all the cousins got together during the summer. This is where I learned to fish, to shoot a gun, to ride a four wheeler, etc. Where my dad grew up. The place was full of the past, chock full of it. And my dad had amassed every single thing he could find that had belonged to the history of his family and/or the farm, and actually labeled it all. He even had old saddles from the early 20th century. Heck, he even found MY GREAT UNCLE'S ASHES IN ONE OF THE BARNS.

I had to facilitate the sale of this property. I had to clean it out. Yes, three houses, various outbuildings, three big barns, over 100 acres. The only person who helped me was my husband.

I sold it to two different families, and they both apparently love their properties. The family that has been renovating the main house has invited me back to visit several times, and because I've had estate business in that area, I've gone. I even spent the night in the room I used to sleep in as a child one time.

Honestly, it's the strangest thing, but once it was sold, I really only feel mild nostalgia about it. I have pictures. I have mementos. I was able to give various cousins things that I ran across as well. It's in good hands.

Mostly though, I feel relief. Relief that it's not hanging over my head anymore. Relief that that chapter of my life is closed now and other chapters have opened.

I pray that you feel as content as I do, two years out. It was hard at the time, but that time is over now.

Old 05-24-2019, 09:05 AM

6,147 posts, read 4,511,316 times
3DogNight-

I live in my father's home, the he died in and that I didn't set eyes on again as my stepmother cut us all off after 33 years of marriage to my father. I wondered many times over the years how the things we planted together were doing, and so on. Imagine my surprise to get a call from my stepbrother upon his mother's death and find out I co-owned the house along with my sister and had since the day our father died. I live in it now and I had a real sense of closure coming here, but the truth is once I felt that, every attachment I had to the place went up in smoke.

Old 05-25-2019, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

I pray that you feel as content as I do, two years out. It was hard at the time, but that time is over now.
It saddens me, but when my father died, the house meant alot when I knew we would have to sell it. Almost a year later, The house and all the stuff in it (That I didnt keep) didnt mean anything without having my parents around
(before we emptied it out).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning