Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 03:04 PM

8,658 posts, read 3,863,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
People who ask these questions obviously don't even know the event on any level.. Whomever asks this were there for YOU And didn't realize the facts of your loss OP~~

This ends up getting questions about WHAT a child's short life loss versus in your head~ WHAT LIFE could have been and YEP~~ That kind of loss is truly a difficult answer!!

Anyone, regardless of how and when you lose a CHILD ( pre-birth or post birth) morns differently~~ No one should expect YOU to have explanations for that sense of loss!!

Luckily, I never lost ( to my knowledge) a pregnancy (could have been before I even knew ).. But I did lose a young adult son (41) who had children... BELIEVE me, no parent can accept losing their child ~~ It's not meant to be that way to have a child die BEFORE you do!

My empathy to you, trying to get through this unresolved pain!!
I’m sorry for the loss of your son - and thanks. Yes, the what if’s and ‘what would she be like’ thoughts haunt me. It’s hard to find other men who are in the same situation - and if they are, they are quiet about it (like I was for 2 years).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 03:22 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,123,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Thanks, Anna. That’s the hard part..details about her. I never knew her. I know good memories have of way of comforting a loss - but I don’t have the luxury of having memories. And I’ve had people tell me ‘well, it’s probably better it happened right away, if it was going to happen’. That is absolutely crushing to hear.
There is no good time to lose a child. What a terrible thing to say.

My husband's sister was stillborn and I know that it affected my MIL greatly. She rarely discussed it.

Many years ago, I lost my baby when I was 16 weeks pregnant. I still think about him. I think about how old he would be, what he would be doing now, etc. Once in a while, I "talk" to him. It is probably weird to some people, but it comforts me.

Do you have memories of her in the womb? Did she like to kick a lot? Did she respond to music? Etc.

I wish you the best.

Old 01-29-2019, 03:27 PM

51,650 posts, read 25,807,433 times
My heart goes out to you.

It sounds as if you have not been able to grieve. I would encourage you to find a grief support group for parents. The social worker at the NICU at your local hospital might be able to steer you in the right direction.

Saying goodby is so hard. Sometimes it helps to be in the company of those who can guide you a bit and support you along the way.

Take care.

Old 01-29-2019, 03:50 PM

Thanks - I know after almost two years, there is no easy way out. But I’m realizing I have spent the last few years being a ‘strong shoulder’ for my baby’s mom - and to help her - and in the process, I’ve lost my own grief. I also think as a man, I’m supposed to be more quiet about it. But she was the only child I’ve had - and I’m not getting any younger, so the thoughts of never being a dad come into play as well - which only makes it worse.

Old 01-29-2019, 04:05 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,123,579 times
Helping your daughter's mother was a really good thing, but you are right - it is time for you to help yourself. My heart hurts for you. You do not need to be strong and silent. It is okay to feel grief. It is okay to need people. It is good that you are reaching out and addressing your grief. A support group may be helpful to you.

Old 01-29-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
Helping your daughter's mother was a really good thing, but you are right - it is time for you to help yourself. My heart hurts for you. You do not need to be strong and silent. It is okay to feel grief. It is okay to need people. It is good that you are reaching out and addressing your grief. A support group may be helpful to you.
Thanks, Anna! I needed to hear this!

Old 01-29-2019, 05:36 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,260,875 times
This may sound sexist but even when it was believed men have to be strong silent types...they were allowed to cry in the of death of a loved one.

Old 01-29-2019, 05:55 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,860,068 times
Quote:
No, but when someone doesn’t know - and they are just making small talk, and ask if I’m a dad or how old are my kids, what can I possibly say without having to ‘explain’ - which is why I’ve just said no before, to quickly end the conversation and be on my way.
Yeah, that conversation sucks. I had a sister who died and when people find out a little about my family background it's common for them to ask if I have any birth siblings. I never know whether to just say no, which feels wrong, or to say "yes, but..." and the "yes, but..." not only stirs up rough memories but also makes for an awkward conversation. I wish people would be more thoughtful before they ask "casual" questions like this. And your version of this situation is even more fraught and doubtless comes up way more often, as "do you have kids" is a common getting-to-know-you question. I'm sorry.

Quote:
I’m sorry for the loss of your son - and thanks. Yes, the what if’s and ‘what would she be like’ thoughts haunt me. It’s hard to find other men who are in the same situation - and if they are, they are quiet about it (like I was for 2 years).
Can you seek out a support group, online or in person? It sounds like you haven't had a chance to process it fully. And it can be a comfort just to know others are dealing with the same situation.

Old 01-29-2019, 06:06 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,569,264 times
I am so sorry. I don't know the pain of losing a child but I can only imagine it is devastating.

I think you can answer any way you feel most comfortable when you are asked questions about being a father. I would not want to get in to a long winded conversation with a store clerk, etc. If you feel more comfortable then you can be more open.

Please do get involved with a support group or get some type of therapy. It really helps to hear from people that have been in your shoes and understand what you are going through.

Sending you a big virtual hug and hopes that your grief will lessen one day.

Old 01-29-2019, 07:00 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,953,728 times
What you have consider is that not talking about your stillborn child isn't disloyal.

That's the whole thing. Parents of children who are deceased feel like not mentioning them, in very casual conversation, is disloyal and indicates they didn't love the child.

That's not true. If you don't mention your deceased child in casual conversations, it doesn't mean you aren't grieving and don't love your child very much. You aren't being disloyal to your child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning