Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 05:13 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,511,910 times

Advertisements

I am more and more aware of forgetting what I am
doing, where I am going etc.
I read doing mental exercises helps, but which ones?
Even typing this, I m forgetting which keys ar which.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 05:19 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,156,851 times
How is forgetfulness not short-term memory loss? I use sticky notes to remind me...and now my desk is covered with them!
My son, a chess grand master, told me to work more on my chess game because the required concentration would help my short term memory. Staying hydrated, eating well, and getting enough sleep helps, too. Good luck!

Old 04-19-2013, 05:27 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
I have no problem any more than I did before ;its just that mnay are not as important as they were before. I remmber what i want to remmber and find wife the same. Things forgotten were never serious considerations as before.

Old 04-19-2013, 05:54 PM

419 posts, read 656,610 times
I laugh about it. It becomes comical to me about my memory and what I do and don't remember. LOL

Old 04-19-2013, 07:18 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,779,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
How do you know it shouldn't be confused with memory loss? That is, how do you know it is not memory loss?

If you sense memory/forgetfulness changes, consider visiting a mental health professional.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:18 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,054,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwretired View Post
I laugh about it. It becomes comical to me about my memory and what I do and don't remember. LOL
Yeah me too..gotta chuncke at the harmless silly memory glitches. All my friends who are close to my age have those little memory glitches....but we are all retired and don't live a very hectic life....I think that our daily lives are pretty casual and low key and the emphasis to " perform precisely" isn't as important or even required. I know for me on a day to day basis, I function just fine but it is when there is an occasional crazy-busy day that I have issues with forgetfulness......when I'm under a timeline and a little stressed. Being a bit forgetful is a normal part of aging. Temporarily forgetting where you are or who you are is not normal.

Old 04-20-2013, 01:41 AM

2,634 posts, read 3,694,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
I think that the news media and the medical profession has us scared to death that we're all going to discover that we have dementia any moment now.

In the past 20 years, I've known only a handful of people with dementia.

In the past 10 years, I've known at least two people who were diagnosed with dementia but it was simply that they were on the wrong kind of meds, too many meds, or the wrong combination of meds.

I just happen to live with many elderly people (80+) in an apartment complex. Yes, some of them have some mild cognitive decline, but most of them are pretty sharp. One is over 90, lives alone, and is still sharp as a tack! I know one woman who is 72, works 36 hours a week (by choice), smokes like a chimney, eats all the wrong food, doesn't exercise -- and her mind is in great shape! Go figure.

I'm 65 and have some forgetfulness (which I think is normal for my age), but I've found that B12, a low-sugar and low-fat diet (read: lots of veggies) and no junk food (well, not a lot LOLOL), lots of exercise (at least an hour six days a week), taking a college class here and there, being around other people almost everyday (I have a very small PT job, I do some volunteering, and I take group exercise classes) helps a lot.

If I had memory problems that worried me, I'd get my B12 level checked first. If it's too low (must be 500+ my endocrinologist says), I'd start getting my B12 level up to normal. (As we age, we absorb B12 less and less from our food.) If I were still having problems that worried me, I'd have a medical professional check me out for cognitive impairment.

Growing old isn't at all easy, is it.

Old 04-20-2013, 02:43 AM

106,705 posts, read 108,880,922 times
I forgot what i was going to say..
Darn!

Old 04-20-2013, 03:14 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,207,141 times
People's names......then names of things (flowers,cars,cities,etc).....starting on words.....
What I do is sigh or curse and wait until it comes to me.
What I don't do is even think of applying for Jeopardy anymore.(Example...I didn't really intend to use the word "applying" but the one I wanted wasn't immediately available

Old 04-20-2013, 04:24 AM

6,589 posts, read 7,093,175 times
What was the question?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement