Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 08:36 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,255,259 times

Advertisements

Over the weekend an inlaw passed away rather unexpectedly. He had been sick for years with kidney failure and over that time he didn't follow his diet or listen to doctors or his wife and as a result he had a heart attack. His luck finally ran out.

The thing is I don't know how I should feel about this. I feel badly for his wife and child that he left in a financial mess but he was a jerk and never treated them right. I think the shock of his death is hard for them right now but I think in the long run they are better off without him. Of course I would never say that but it is true.

From what I have heard his brothers and sisters all thought he was a jerk, a loser, a lousy father, husband etc..

His service is coming up this weekend and I will go to support my family member but what can I say to the inlaws when we all know he was not a stand up guy or a good example to his kids.

It is kind of a tradition for me to say a few words at family funerals but luckily I haven't been asked to give a little speech at this one because for the life of me I can't think of anything nice to say about this guy.

I'm sure there will be kind words spoken about him but I think we will all know they are lies and we will let them go.

What would you do?

Old 03-06-2019, 08:38 AM

48,540 posts, read 34,891,275 times
I would talk about the feelings of loss to his family, untimely death and importance of living your life to the fullest and stuff like that.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-06-2019, 08:39 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,561,291 times
Funerals are my one exception to honesty. They aren't coming back, and nothing you say in the negative tone does any good for the living. Be glad you've not been asked to give any words, just be kind to the widow and children.

Old 03-06-2019, 08:42 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,404,541 times
I'd pay my respects and give my condolences to his family. What is to be gained by acting like a jerk that you accuse the recently deceased of being? By your own admission they are taking his death hard, so you should consider your words carefully before you speak. Nothing is to be gained by saying anything disparaging or hurtful to the family.

Old 03-06-2019, 08:46 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,874,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Funerals are my one exception to honesty. They aren't coming back, and nothing you say in the negative tone does any good for the living. Be glad you've not been asked to give any words, just be kind to the widow and children.

Offer condolences and then follow their lead. If they want to talk about him, let them. If not, you don't need to say anything more than I'm sorry for your loss.

No need to feel guilty...

Old 03-06-2019, 09:42 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,255,259 times
Thanks posters. I have been holding my tongue but I think that everyone involved would agree this guy was a jerk. I am sure there will be many kind words offered and tossed about to describe this guy at the funeral but that is what people do. I have already seen it on social media from people that didn't know his true self.

I think the old saying rings true on this occasion that if you don't have anything nice to say then say nothing at all.

In sorting my feelings about the guy just in case I was called on I started with, we all knew him as a brother, husband, father and friend but lets face it we all know he was a Bas***d. It is funny how my thoughts keep coming back to this.

I certainly won't say anything negative about him and if someone does I will agree but not add anything to it.

I will focus my kindness and prayers to his wife and daughter.

Old 03-08-2019, 09:34 PM

32,946 posts, read 36,394,363 times
That's exactly what you should do. Show up, pay your respects, and don't say anything that you'll regret.

Old 03-09-2019, 01:02 AM

16,101 posts, read 10,766,542 times
He's no longer a jerk. He was a brother and a husband and a father and those surviving people are feeling a loss. Comfort them. He made mistakes and poor choices. It isn't anyone's place to recount them at his funeral.

Old 03-09-2019, 01:08 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,203,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
That's exactly what you should do. Show up, pay your respects, and don't say anything that you'll regret.
(apropos what I put in bold above)....or from another point of view, don't say anything that will make the family regret that they ever knew you.

Old 03-09-2019, 05:38 AM

32,946 posts, read 36,394,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
(apropos what I put in bold above)....or from another point of view, don't say anything that will make the family regret that they ever knew you.
Funerals are like the company Christmas party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.