Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 11:53 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,187,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I know someone that already has their stone. His sister keeps putting flowers there. It kind of upsets him.
Now that's funny to me!! I wonder if she's being funny? I would do something like that to tease him. You want a stone before you're even dead....here's your flowers!

Dizzy, I loled at your post first!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2019, 04:28 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,738,593 times
[quote=tamiznluv;54799950]Now that's funny to me!! I wonder if she's being funny? I would do something like that to tease him. You want a stone before you're even dead....here's your flowers!

Dizzy, I loled at your post first! [/QUOTE haha.. might even sit and talk to myself.. and have a wee tear.

Old 03-29-2019, 04:42 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,046,770 times
I have news for the "flush" gravestone crowd....in a few years or decades they will disappear as the soil around them builds up.

Old 03-29-2019, 07:09 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,183,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I know someone that already has their stone. His sister keeps putting flowers there. It kind of upsets him.
My father died when I was 29. When the stone was put in place not long after I discovered that my mother had put not only his name and date, but her name and birth date.......and mine as well.

Typical of her, she presumed that my life would end where it began with nothing changing that. This, despite the fact that I already had a life of my own hundreds of miles away.

Old 03-29-2019, 01:48 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,187,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I have news for the "flush" gravestone crowd....in a few years or decades they will disappear as the soil around them builds up.
You don't have a choice about a flush stone at a National Cemetery. It's that or in a mosuleum for cremains.

Old 03-30-2019, 05:57 AM

50,349 posts, read 63,928,555 times
Like OP, I’ve wished we hadn’t lost the old kind of wordy headstones. I walked through a cemetery once where someone had died after being run over by a wagon. The stones included history, and they were so interesting.

Old 03-30-2019, 08:08 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,966,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I happened to be in a cemetery, killing time (no pun intended), and was thinking about how in past centuries, gravestones were often descriptive and touching. Like maybe "Fought valiantly to protect our country." Now it's mostly just "Beloved husband." Do you think it's just a matter of cost-cutting?
I don’t think there is a difference that you think it is. I see very elaborate and lengthy things written on gravestones today. Maybe even more so than on the older ones.

Old 03-30-2019, 09:10 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,397,515 times
Some are laser engraved, with pictures, and even have a recording of some sort. I don't know how you access it, maybe you punch in a code? Or perhaps you get a key at the office, like they had at the Zoo, a talking key to listen to various stories? I think also some have an electronic "guest book" you can somehow access and sign your visit. Aren't we going a bit overboard?

Old 03-30-2019, 09:34 AM

16,070 posts, read 10,732,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
so you can actually visit your grave and leave flowers..
Yeah -- it is a dual stone and my wife is buried there. Both of our names are on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Actually, this is something the cemetery takes care of. I live 1000 miles away and visit when I'm in town every couple of years and see that the cemetery workers keep the stones from sinking or having the grass grow over the stones. It is sort of a churchyard sort of cemetery and might get better attention than some others. My parents and grandparents are there in the family cluster of graves and the stones are fine. Older than that and the stones are upright -- old style.

Old 03-30-2019, 03:04 PM

12,058 posts, read 10,266,099 times
You must not live in south Texas

Omg. Some gaudy over done, massive headstones out here. They look to be laser etched so maybe not as expensive as the carved type.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning