Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 04:14 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,969,739 times

Advertisements

The cost, and I think people are less effusive these days.

In trying to think of things to say at my mother's memorial service, I realized that all of the "I miss you" and that kind of thing was something private that would stay between me and her, not to be recited out loud for dramatic effect in public, even public with family. I would feel the same way about a headstone. I wouldn't consider a headstone to be the place to tell the person how I felt about them, nor would I want to announce something so private to every stranger who passed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Some cemeteries have rules that determine the placement of headstones. My stone is already in place awaiting my arrival but it has to be flush with the ground so they can easily cut the grass. That usually limits the size to just the basics.
I've seen flush gravestones that were pretty large, though... often the historical ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
so you can actually visit your grave and leave flowers..
I would do this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I have news for the "flush" gravestone crowd....in a few years or decades they will disappear as the soil around them builds up.
Yup. I know this because I once went searching for a friend's relative's graves (the cemetery was near where I lived so I said I'd go and find the graves and take pictures)... I dug one out of the sod (and several others, so I could read them and see if they were what I was looking for, and most of them were grown over completely so you didn't even know they were there)... if the others she was seeking had stones, I couldn't find them. (They weren't the upright kind that had just fallen from time; they were actually flush stones.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2019, 07:49 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Sometimes less is more...

Old 03-30-2019, 09:37 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,607 posts, read 17,927,273 times
What a heartfelt thread.

I'm a huge cemetery buff.

Sometimes there are enormous monuments, sometimes there are little tiny flat stones.

Depends on the family, and depends on their ability to pay for a monument, and depends on how they feel about the deceased.

Old 03-31-2019, 07:44 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,182,410 times
There can also be unexpected side benefits from reading epitaphs. That's where I learned the word "bosom," though my mother had to really go through some verbal gymnastics to explain it to me.

Old 03-31-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Sometimes less is more...
Although I kind of wish it also said "oooooOOOOOOOooooo..."

Old 03-31-2019, 10:59 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,186,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Although I kind of wish it also said "oooooOOOOOOOooooo..."
Lol, I "get it". Good one.

Old 03-31-2019, 11:06 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,186,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post

In trying to think of things to say at my mother's memorial service, I realized that all of the "I miss you" and that kind of thing was something private that would stay between me and her, not to be recited out loud for dramatic effect in public, even public with family. I would feel the same way about a headstone. I wouldn't consider a headstone to be the place to tell the person how I felt about them, nor would I want to announce something so private to every stranger who passed.

While he was alive, we didn't do much pda, we kept that for behind closed doors but when he died, I wanted it there for all eternity. I don't care who reads it, why should I? They don't mean anything to me.

Old 03-31-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
While he was alive, we didn't do much pda, we kept that for behind closed doors but when he died, I wanted it there for all eternity. I don't care who reads it, why should I? They don't mean anything to me.
That's precisely why I wouldn't need them to read it.

If there's stuff I didn't say to her when she was alive, it's not going to fix anything to say it to other people after she's gone.

Old 04-01-2019, 09:17 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Like OP, I’ve wished we hadn’t lost the old kind of wordy headstones. I walked through a cemetery once where someone had died after being run over by a wagon. The stones included history, and they were so interesting.
That's one thing I like about the cemetery where my husband is buried, and where I will be buried as well. There is such a variety of headstones, and such personalization too. Some of them are very dramatic and large; some have pictures etched on them; and a fair number have beautiful statues as well. I think people ought to have the option to make their last piece of real estate as memorable as possible.

Old 04-02-2019, 05:38 AM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I have news for the "flush" gravestone crowd....in a few years or decades they will disappear as the soil around them builds up.
I know of some approaching 60 years old and they aren't close to disappearing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning