Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 02:40 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,257,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I'm very sorry to hear all that, belle.

We don't get to pick our parents, and sometimes we get brought here by people who just aren't equipped to give us what we need to grow up feeling loved.

I hope that, if nothing else, you understand that you couldn't make your mom love you, but you shouldn't have to either. She had problems, and you know that. But you've done really well considering all that.

My mom died unexpectedly a couple years ago, and we had problems but I miss her too. I missed her this morning when I was thinking about making a recipe that I knew she was really good at.

Your mom's problems were hers, and while it kept her from being the mom you needed, you can't let it make you think that you weren't a good enough kid for her. That's just not true.

I could not agree more. I feel for you Belle, I've too endured a life with a very difficult mother who is now 76 and not in good health due abusing herself with drugs and other addictions as your own mother did.

You left standing with the message in your mind that she saw you as a "piece of crap that would never amount to anything" is a lie that she made you believe. Please know it was nothing more than her own inadequacies as a human and a mother, as well as her ripped up soul from self medication that helped her conjure up this lie. You are what you think you are thus I caution you to never listen to the lie that you've been raised with.

Nevertheless, I'm sorry you had to endure this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2019, 10:42 AM

922 posts, read 791,364 times
Belle, I am so sorry for your loss. Not only for the loss of your mother, but for the loss of the person you could have been if she had not damaged you.

My mother was a controlling narcissist who tried to control every aspect of my life. Nothing I ever did was good enough. As bad as she was to me she was worse to my daughter, and I believe the damage she cause to both of us was a large part of my daughter became mentally ill.

When she got dementia, I put her in a facility. As the dementia progressed, she got even more demanding. I finally got to the point I had to cut off all contact with her, and for the last 2 years of her life I never saw her or spoke to her again. She died alone in a nursing home. In the meantime, my daughter and I started to finally become our own persons. We are both happily married and living our own lives on our own terms. We were free at last.

However, one of the things my mother instilled in me was guilt. Guilt for having an opinion, guilt for having fun, guilt for anything that happened that she didn't like. I have struggled with this guilt over her dying alone for years now.

What many of the above posters have said is true. You have to forgive, not just your mother, but also yourself. Believe me, I know how hard this is as I struggle with it every day. It is NOT your fault that she was the way she was, and it is NOT your fault that you had to distance yourself in order to survive.

I wish you only the best!

Last edited by harry chickpea; 09-22-2019 at 02:40 PM.. Reason: color

Old 09-30-2019, 03:13 AM

63 posts, read 29,728 times
I was an unloved, unwanted child whose parents and sibling went out of their way each day to make certain I knew that. The abuse by all three, covered all the SUV points.

When my mother died I was devastated as any hope I had that my mother would love me was gone.

I truly understand.

Old 09-30-2019, 05:08 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
That's hard. My mother lived long enough to appreciate me. In her 70s and 80s, she needed my help. She was very thankful.

She was all in or all out. When I was young, I was either the flavor of the week or on the ***** list. You never knew what was going to happen next.

One week we'd be making apple pie, and the next she'd be forcefully slapping my head. She once told me she did that so that the neighbors and teachers wouldn't see bruises.

Thanks mom.

Old 09-30-2019, 07:37 AM

57 posts, read 47,826 times
I'm really sorry to hear about OP's mother passing, but I am also sorry to hear that others have had problems with their own mothers.

I grew up closer to my maternal grandparents than my parents, and even today I am closer to my aunt than my mother. I do love my mother and we get along great now that I'm an adult (she battled a terrible drug addiction for years that began when I was in my teens, and continued - off and on - into my early 40s). It's my father I am estranged from, but then he was never, ever there for my brother or me. I'm not even sure that I would care if he passed away tomorrow.

Old 09-30-2019, 08:01 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times
I am so sorry to hear these stories of feeling/being unloved. They make me feel so sad. (((Hugs))) to all of you.

Old 09-30-2019, 10:48 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I am so sorry to hear these stories of feeling/being unloved. They make me feel so sad. (((Hugs))) to all of you.
It's a bit sad, but it's OK. There were other people in my life.

Old 10-01-2019, 09:42 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
It's a bit sad, but it's OK. There were other people in my life.
You were fortunate.

Old 10-01-2019, 11:29 AM

80 posts, read 32,960 times
I'm sorry for your loss. I hope you find peace in the fact that you did what you can while she was still around.

Your last sentence stood out to me though -- you don't need to do anything to make your mother love you. Children shouldn't need to prove that they are worthy of love.

Old 10-11-2019, 05:27 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,155,750 times
Ah, Belle. I missed this news when you came by to tell it. I'm so very sorry.

I think of you from time to time, and hope you're doing okay out there. Just know that there are people who think well of you and wish the best for your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning