Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2020, 04:39 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times

Advertisements

There is an entire article about this in the newest edition of Mother Earth News, special double issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2020, 04:50 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
We are aware of a relative (husbands brother in-law), 800 miles away, who has a terminal cancer. My husband is the remaining eldest relative of the family, and so will be expected to be there. We are hoping the man will die during the virus crisis, so we do not need to drive, expend money in a hotel, and tolerate relatives who do not otherwise contact us.

Old 04-08-2020, 11:10 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
I, like my wife before me, will donate my remains to the local medical college. Family can have a Memorial Service for me if they wish to.

Old 04-10-2020, 01:20 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,895,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
Saw this virus-related news today: In NYC authorities are suggesting people to use cardboard in the place of wood coffin, because body+wood coffin weights 600 lbs and takes 6 hours to burn.

Question: Normally does a wood coffin go into the cremation chamber?! I had thought not... But if true, how do they differentiate the ashes of the wood from the ashes of the person?
Some people opt for a wood coffin for their departed family members. The wood completely combusts because of the high temperature of the cremation chamber so the only ashes left are of the cremains. The 'ashes' are pretty coarse and some fairly large 'pebbles' can remain.

A wooden coffin used for cremation must be all wood with no metal in it.

Some people opt to use a rental coffin that has a removable cardboard chamber the deceased is housed in for cremation and others opt for simply a fiberboard coffin.

Wooden coffins are most often used when the family will witness the cremation; this is more common in certain religious groups such as with Hindus and Sikhs.

I've specified direct cremation in my own will and will come back and haunt someone if they spend money on a coffin just to burn it, lol.

Just get me a pretty urn, something in my favorite color

Old 04-10-2020, 03:20 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,448,254 times
A Google search describes the process. Crematories are regulated at state level. Our state requires the basic, tag, identify , no pacemaker or artificial limbs in the combustion chamber. The process takes 2-4 hours followed by a cooling. The ashes which are mostly the bones and small percentage of the cardboard contain are grounded thru a mill. Those cremins are then placed in a plastic container and handed to the family or responsible entity. A certificate by the crematory is also included. A 60-70$ wood crate (particle board) is the standard. Not a full blown burial casket. Metals and methane do not fair well in cremations...

Old 04-11-2020, 01:10 AM

3 posts, read 1,649 times
Dear Robert,

Its your choise what to do with your funeral but im here to give another light.
You write you dont want to force people into sadness, You don't force anyone.. You have to see others that they can take care about themselves and make their own choises, out of respect to them. In my opinion, there is a reason we have funerals, its to be sad. Its necessary for the grieving process that we share those emotions with other humans who we care about. We are highly social especially in those times, preventing this to not make others sad is a caring idea if you think sadness is a bad thing, where it isn't.

When you,we, are done. The only thing that matters is the people who are alive. They need to deal with it in a proper way.

Old 04-11-2020, 09:40 AM

43,646 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Quote:
we already bought a plot of land and are enjoying it, Hence the desire to be here "forever"...
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Many states allow "home burials" as long as it doesn't infer with local zoning laws.
I know that one side of family in California owns land that was the family ranch during my great-grandmother's time. Now it is used mainly for recreational purposes. Recently, the ashes/remains of my great-uncle (who died a few years ago) and his wife (who died at the end of 2019) were buried there and their son emailed everyone that all family members in the future have that option if they wish it.

Old 04-11-2020, 10:48 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,302,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I know that one side of family in California owns land that was the family ranch during my great-grandmother's time. Now it is used mainly for recreational purposes. Recently, the ashes/remains of my great-uncle (who died a few years ago) and his wife (who died at the end of 2019) were buried there and their son emailed everyone that all family members in the future have that option if they wish it.
Kind of like when Forrest Gump buried Jenny right on his property; he could visit her every day if he wanted. I think that's kind of nice.

Old 01-04-2021, 01:46 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,302,471 times
News from Los Angeles says the morgues and funeral homes are running out of space for bodies, and are rejecting new arrivals.

I am wondering why people not directly burying the deceased? Isn't this what NY did earlier this year? Are the families still hoping to have a funeral?

Seems to me the safest handling is to go from hospital directly to cemetery... (for those who did not make it)

Old 01-04-2021, 06:12 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,267,262 times
Quote:
News from Los Angeles says the morgues and funeral homes are running out of space for bodies, and are rejecting new arrivals.

I am wondering why people not directly burying the deceased? Isn't this what NY did earlier this year? Are the families still hoping to have a funeral?

Seems to me the safest handling is to go from hospital directly to cemetery... (for those who did not make it)
Wow- that's pretty sad. It's possible that the cemeteries are overwhelmed (or they can't dig in frozen ground). There are probably unclaimed bodies and those whose loved ones don't have the money to fund in-ground burial or even cremation.

Some comments on previous posts here: DH was cremated and did not have a coffin or even a cardboard enclosure. I got the remains back in a plastic container but eventually my brother, a gifted woodworker, made a beautiful box for them. I'm scattering bits of his ashes in various wonderful places all over the world as I travel. I'd told him I would (he was 15 years older and had had chronic health issues for years) and he loved that idea.

And I agree with Mark Coz- you can't control people's feelings after they're gone. DH's funeral was a full church service but I had a slideshow in the narthex (lobby) with pictures from all our travels. It was a farewell to a life well-lived and we'd all seen him waste away. It was time for him to go.

There are people who skip any type of funeral and want a "celebration of life" instead. Whatever works for them- but if you go that route, promise us you won't have a balloon release. The shreds of those balloons are very bad for birds and other critters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning