Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2020, 12:37 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
My sincere condolences.

There was a “private family service” announced in the obit (due to the Covid-19 virus) for someone I know who died last week. Her immediate family was quite small, though, with around 10 at most. They decided to have the service now rather than announce a memorial in the future, which they may or may not do.

“Private” to me usually means immediate family and/or those who are explicitly invited.
That is what we are doing. If and when we have any kind of memorial, we will let people know. My mom was 91, so all her kids are up in age, and of the two still in their fifties, one has a heart condition and the other a deteriorating spine. We will meet at the cemetery tomorrow, do a quick service with the pastor saying some words, which we know my mother would have wanted to happen, and then we will scurry back to our own homes.

Old 03-30-2020, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Might I suggest you have her cremated then at a later time when the virus has passed, have a service and burial for her.
You might suggest that because you are allowed to suggest anything you want within the framework of the TOS.

But that's not what we are doing. She is already embalmed and dressed and ready to go. She did not want to be cremated. She wanted to be buried with her husband and son, and we are not going to dishonor her by doing something different. I don't really see what difference it would make at this point anyway. We will follow social distancing rules, but the four of us who will be there have already been in the same proximity.

Thank you for your suggestion.

Old 03-30-2020, 01:03 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,256,609 times
My condolences to you and your family over the loss of your dear mother.

These trying times are made even more trying when you add to them the loss of a loved one.

A week ago I conducted a memorial service for a family and the current health crisis prevented many of the family from attending. Selfishly, I was not disappointed that the number of people was limited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2020, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
My condolences to you and your family over the loss of your dear mother.

These trying times are made even more trying when you add to them the loss of a loved one.

A week ago I conducted a memorial service for a family and the current health crisis prevented many of the family from attending. Selfishly, I was not disappointed that the number of people was limited.
You know, I am not really either.

Thank you for your condolences.

Old 03-30-2020, 04:13 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
My condolences.

I agree with the plans for your mother. I was reading somewhere that police in Louisiana had to breakup a funeral that had dozens of people inside. Even if you practice social distancing at a wake, I still believe that you're taking an unnecessary risk. I understand the desire to celebrate someone's life, but this is something that can be done at a later date. Its either that or potentially exposing people and risking another death/funeral down the line.

Old 03-30-2020, 05:30 PM

1,557 posts, read 1,047,879 times
My condolences to you and your family MQ. I like the image of your mother being with her longtime friend.

Old 03-30-2020, 05:33 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
I am so sorry for your loss, MQ. It is hard to lose a mother.

She told you she was tired. She likely was ready to go. Bless her heart and yours.

May the coming days bring you peace.

Old 03-30-2020, 07:33 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,401,604 times
MQ, I want to offer my condolences as well.

My own mother had a partner in crime as well, and was very downhearted when she died. Maybe it's like the army's battle buddy system. When your buddy is gone, the battle is over.

Old 03-30-2020, 08:01 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,529,018 times
I'm so sorry to read of your loss. Please accept my condolences.
In Montana where winters can be brutal, it is not unusual for families to have private burial and then to hold outdoor informal celebration of life on a summer day.

Old 03-30-2020, 10:01 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
As someone who also lost my mother not long ago. No matter who you marry, your mother will always be close at heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning