Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2020, 07:37 AM

357 posts, read 226,427 times

Advertisements

That’s very kind, what the restaurant did for your family.

If you don’t mind sharing the name, we will be happy to patronize them when we visit Tyler.
(Hoping for October.)

Old 09-11-2020, 12:55 PM

1,382 posts, read 2,108,657 times
I hear when the family leaves it's really the hardest time. Then you are just alone with your thoughts.
That was lovely of the restaurant to do that.

Old 09-11-2020, 01:38 PM

19,897 posts, read 9,453,564 times
I am so very, very sorry, Kathryn. (I have been off City-Data for two months and just read of your very great loss.) There are no words that can adequately express the sympathy I feel for you. You have had to endure so much loss this year, and although I know that you are a very strong lady, something like this must seem seem overwhelming. I just hope it helps to know that you have friends who care about you.

Old 09-11-2020, 05:10 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,153,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanceswithBeagles View Post
That’s very kind, what the restaurant did for your family.

If you don’t mind sharing the name, we will be happy to patronize them when we visit Tyler.
(Hoping for October.)
Oh no problem - fantastic food and service and locally owned by a man who is from France. It's Bernard's Restaurant.

Old 09-11-2020, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKB View Post
I hear when the family leaves it's really the hardest time. Then you are just alone with your thoughts.
That was lovely of the restaurant to do that.
Thank you and I thank God that my granddaughter has decided to live with me and go to college here. What a blessing she is! (She is a quiet, sweet girl - at least so far - LOL)

Otherwise - honestly, I don't know how people do it alone. Even with her here, the house is so quiet and the burden just feels so heavy.

Old 09-11-2020, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I am so very, very sorry, Kathryn. (I have been off City-Data for two months and just read of your very great loss.) There are no words that can adequately express the sympathy I feel for you. You have had to endure so much loss this year, and although I know that you are a very strong lady, something like this must seem seem overwhelming. I just hope it helps to know that you have friends who care about you.
Oh thank you, thank you and yes, it does help.

I gotta admit - it's been a rough few years in my little corner of the world. But you know what - I came back into the house from the garage and the AC felt so good and the house was so comfy and I thought "You know what - in spite of all this, I have so much to be thankful for," and I really, really do. And I DO feel thankful for it. I could be in a lot worse situation, that's for sure.

Old 09-12-2020, 07:41 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,143,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Thank you and I thank God that my granddaughter has decided to live with me and go to college here. What a blessing she is! (She is a quiet, sweet girl - at least so far - LOL)

Otherwise - honestly, I don't know how people do it alone. Even with her here, the house is so quiet and the burden just feels so heavy.

That's wonderful!! I would have loved that. I had rather the opposite type of thing happen. Shortly after my hubby passed my son in law informed me that he was taking my daughter and grandkids back with him to where his parents lived...1100 miles away (against all their wishes...another story). UGH.

I pretty much had the same reaction as you also. It really occurred to me how much I did still have to be thankful for. I was in a better condition to take care of things and continue living comfortably than many were. My husband always had the attitude of quality over quantity with the yrs of his life and he did what he wanted. Shortly before his sudden passing he had gone to my pastor to get his life right with God (not knowing that he wasn't going to be around much longer) and that was extremely important to me and made the whole thing bearable. So, with all of that, it made things much easier to endure.

When everyone went home and I was left alone it was weird getting used to the quiet and a different routine but, it wasn't too difficult. When certain days popped up around the calendar tho....those had an effect on me but only briefly and then I carried on.
Honestly, it was probably close to a yr later that I had a come apart day (which sort of took me by surprise) and then it was over and generally, I'm doing pretty good now.

You're a survivor and will be fine. Just don't try to be strong 24/7... allow yourself to have your weak moments, you need those too.

Old 09-12-2020, 09:41 AM

922 posts, read 795,959 times
Kathryn I am so glad that your granddaughter is going to stay with you! What a wonderful blessing after all that you have been through the past few years. I hope she is a comfort and a joy to you!

Old 09-12-2020, 09:53 AM

357 posts, read 226,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh no problem - fantastic food and service and locally owned by a man who is from France. It's Bernard's Restaurant.
Thanks! Looking at mid- to late October, if weather permits travel.

Old 09-12-2020, 10:37 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,938,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
I pretty much had the same reaction as you also. It really occurred to me how much I did still have to be thankful for. I was in a better condition to take care of things and continue living comfortably than many were. My husband always had the attitude of quality over quantity with the yrs of his life and he did what he wanted. Shortly before his sudden passing he had gone to my pastor to get his life right with God (not knowing that he wasn't going to be around much longer) and that was extremely important to me and made the whole thing bearable. So, with all of that, it made things much easier to endure.
It gives me so much joy to hear that about your husband--I'm sure it overjoyed your heart as well. It is such a comfort to know that my husband is resting in peace with Jesus.

I also am quite well off and am cognizant of so many things to be grateful for; I was the bread-winner for our family so I did not have that part to worry about, whereas many wives when losing their husbands lose their means of finances as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
When everyone went home and I was left alone it was weird getting used to the quiet and a different routine but, it wasn't too difficult. When certain days popped up around the calendar tho....those had an effect on me but only briefly and then I carried on.
Honestly, it was probably close to a yr later that I had a come apart day (which sort of took me by surprise) and then it was over and generally, I'm doing pretty good now.
My mother stayed with me until the beginning of February (he passed away at the end of December) and it was such a comfort to have her there (even though we were not has close as we once were--and this was due largely to my being with my husband--but I wanted to put that antagonism behind us and we are now closer). I had to sell the house me and my husband lived in because I could barely keep my mind together whenever I was there. Prior to selling, I moved into a duplex in town and my mom helped me with moving in there (mid-January) and was there for a little while in my new place until she left. So she helped me so much!

I was on Prozac previously before my husband passed away, had increased the dose for a little while then decreased it back to the previous dose; I wanted to get off it because I felt it was keeping me from losing weight, but once I was off it for about a month, I was such a mess I realized I needed something to keep me from crying every day. So I went on Pristiq which has been fantastic and has helped with, or at least not prevented me from, losing weight which also made me happy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning