Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 09:52 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,288,219 times

Advertisements

Just got a call from a good friend/former neighbor giving me the news that a mutual close friend called her 20 year old son down for breakfast this morning(he came home from college for the weekend) and he did not answer. She went into his room and he had killed himself.

This is so unbelievable as this young man seemed to have it all...smart, driven, attends a great university, funny, handsome...he even worked for us a few summers during high school.

My heart just aches for my friend but yet I have no idea what I can do. We (our circle of friends) have already gotten together the obligatory meal schedule and I will be hosting the get together after the funeral probably Tuesday or Wednesday...

What else can I do? I feel like I should have them stay here or if they do not want to be with people right now, maybe put them up in a nice hotel.

My friends and I are also getting ideas together to form a foundation in his name.

Even though I know we all come from different religious backgrounds, all of you being amazing people, could you pray, meditate, chant, send good energy, plant a tree, whatever moves you, could you just send some good energy to my friend and her family? They need it so badly right now.

Thank you all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 10:02 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,423,912 times
I am sorry this happed. You and yours are in my thoughts.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:03 AM

566 posts, read 1,110,268 times
Prayers being said. So sad.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:06 AM

2,751 posts, read 5,372,155 times
You literally gave me the chills. As a parent I can think of nothing worse. I will be "mentioning" this young man and his family to my God this morning, as I have to contact him regarding another matter, one that could be of life and death urgency as well; though I am hoping otherwise.

You never know what's inside anyone. There is a small margin of error for any of us let alone a young person who's carrying the additional burden of coming of age.

Maybe we really will all meet in another place, cured, resolved, at peace...

Old 10-26-2008, 10:08 AM

19,728 posts, read 10,520,947 times
My prayers for you, and the parents & other family of this young man. This will be a very long day, for all of you.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:08 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,625,792 times
Prayers out to all involved.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:11 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,288,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPit View Post
You literally gave me the chills. As a parent I can think of nothing worse. I will be "mentioning" this young man and his family to my God this morning, as I have to contact him regarding another matter, one that could be of life and death urgency as well; though I am hoping otherwise.

You never know what's inside anyone. There is a small margin of error for any of us let alone a young person who's carrying the additional burden of coming of age.

Maybe we really will all meet in another place, cured, resolved, at peace...
I feel the same...how could any of us know the pain he carried? My heart breaks at the thought of him feeling like whatever he was experiencing was never going to get better and there was no hope knowing a new day would come with a new perspective and renewed strength.

Thank you for your prayers...his family will need them...

Should I have them stay here, if they would like? Their house is not a place for them to be right now since there are some rather blatant reminders right now.

I just cannot put myself in their shoes and anticipate what they may need...my mind and heart cannot take me there.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:29 AM

461 posts, read 1,452,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
I feel the same...how could any of us know the pain he carried? My heart breaks at the thought of him feeling like whatever he was experiencing was never going to get better and there was no hope knowing a new day would come with a new perspective and renewed strength.

Thank you for your prayers...his family will need them...

Should I have them stay here, if they would like? Their house is not a place for them to be right now since there are some rather blatant reminders right now.

I just cannot put myself in their shoes and anticipate what they may need...my mind and heart cannot take me there.
I'm so sorry, what a horrible thing. Our thoughts are with you all. I think offering to have them stay with you would be a very kind gesture, I'm sure it's very hard to be in their home right now. I'm guessing all they will need in the next several days is the support of their friends and family.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:40 AM

1,461 posts, read 3,658,902 times
I will certainly pray for this family. I can't even imagine the heartache they must be feeling. That is such a hard age. It is easy for young people to get overwhelmed. So very sad.
Sounds like you are doing some great things. The foundation in his name is a wonderful idea.
I think what people forget is to continue to talk about them. I remember when my brother died years ago mom said when she would see even good friends they would not mention him. It makes them feel like his life had no meaning. I also when I write a card try to mention things that they did or said that really affected my life.
You sound like a wonderful friend

Old 10-26-2008, 10:43 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,216,557 times
You and all parties involved are in my prayers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning