Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 06:34 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times

Advertisements

Here in northeast Florida, we (wife/I) have a membership with a local Range and we like everything about the Range! They do sell ammo, targets, etc in the small store that is part of the office, but no requirements to buy for Range use. We are older (early 60's) and don't shoot the high-powered stuff or military type ones......only regular firearms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 05:05 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
Looks like shooting flinters is dead out west. NH has nothing like that bring her here!

I stopped going to formal ranges ages ago, and shoot in the woods or in the National Forest.

But all the ranges I know don't have any ammo to sell and no such silly rules.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:34 AM

3,041 posts, read 5,000,435 times
I thought every state was like PA and had free outdoor public ranges where you can shoot just about anything you like!

Old 11-22-2010, 08:00 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
Most ranges in NH are private and have a smaller cost to be a member or guest. Some may sell ammo, but none I know of require you to buy theirs. None I know of limit what kinds of ammo you can shoot either. I suppose it would be a wise idea to inform the range if you plan on shooting a full auto weapon though. It is legal to have and shoot full auto weapons here, but it will draw attention.

I have never been able to afford any of that, mainly due to the costs of ammo. I can dream.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:30 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,733,760 times
I shoot at Bullseye Indoor Range. They don't allow RELOADS but they do allow you to bring in your ammo.

There are some places that charge you if you bring your own ammo. Now that's BS.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:25 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,183,065 times
Yeah, that IS BS. The range I used to frequent won't allow FMJ ammo any more, so I don't go there.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:50 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Seems that now you can't bring any handloads (understandable, since a lot of guys do over-load their ammo), no cast lead bullets, and, as far as I can see, you generally now have to buy your ammunition from the firing range. They insist on frangible, non-toxic bullets these days as well, but I can't even provide my legally made commercial "handloads" with such bullets.

I know they won't let me near the place with my Freedom Arms .454 Casull, since it would probably 1) deafen everyone in the place, even out in the office, 2) penetrate the backboard and/or 3) richochet all over the place!

I simply wanted to take a family lady friend down to a range in Portland, OR, along with my commercial light .32 Mag handloads for some intro handgun safety training, but... nope!

They also don't sell .32 Mag, so I'm out of luck, even if I wanted to pay exorbitant prices. Guess we'll have to go out into the woods east of PDX.... bummer!

Any similar experiences in your neighborhoods? Anyone else not happy with this sitch?
For the ultra economic folks: No indoor range that I can reasonably drive to will allow steel or aluminum cased ammunition.

Same applies for any hand loads.

"What? You want to shoot cast lead? The EPA may defecate in their pants so we can't allow that. Why would anyone want to shoot cast lead anyway?"

I'm not sure that I'm allowed to even shoot my vast stores of Winchester white box FMJ because it isn't a real full metal jacket since the back of the bullet is exposed lead. These rules seem to be pretty uniform so I wonder if this isn't EPA regulation as opposed to frank extortion on the part of the range.

"You need to check the feed reliability of your new defense rounds? How about you do that somewhere else that isn't a gun range?"

Old 01-18-2011, 12:37 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,470,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Guess we'll have to go out into the woods east of PDX.... bummer!
Or maybe out towards Estacada?
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club

Old 02-02-2011, 11:27 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,509,504 times
Here in Southern California, where wildfires are incredibly dangerous and to be avoided at all costs, all the ranges I know of -- public, private, law enforcement -- prohibit bullets that are steel-jacketed or steel-cored. There is too much danger of sparking against rocks and catching the brush and grasses afire. I saw it happen on a private range, and know of two other instances (one public range, one LEO range) where it did.

At Cowboy Action Shooting ranges there are usually two other prohibitions. The first is against using any kind of jacketed or gas-checked ammo, because of the damage they can do to the steel targets and to bystanders (bounce-backs of sharp fragments). The second is against shooting any modern high-powered rifle, for the same reasons.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:14 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Looks like shooting flinters is dead out west. NH has nothing like that bring her here!,,,,.
I have my .50 cal but I use caps. Wish it was a flint action now. Probably one of my flatest shooting rifles I have. I would like to install a vintage scope on it now, the old eyes do not like iron sites that much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting