Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 10:12 PM

25,721 posts, read 18,797,332 times

Advertisements

Wow, I guess I won't whine about the (outdoor) ranges around here any more. The main problem is that they are only open on weekends or the odd weekday. But we can shoot whatever we like if we are safe about it. Last weekend a guy was shooting a .50 BMG down the line a bit. Luckily I wasn't next to him! And the range folks never even check the loads. Most everyone actually shoots reloads.

Seems that around here, most folks are pretty safe at the ranges. There are very few restrictions, other than the typical "don't touch your firearm" when the range is closed for target gathering. They can get pretty cranky about that if someone is trying to show off their weapon or whatever. Many shooters have large caliber "long-range" hunting rifles in this area (seems to be the big thing these days) and that is what I see most often at the range. Muzzle brakes are the norm, making things even louder. Luckily my "mickey mouse earmuffs" work really well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 01:09 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Ain't been to an indoor range in 25 years. Our outdoor range allows whatever we bring. The trap club goes out and rakes the burns 2or3 times a year and sells the scrap. (Sigh) sounds like some places wanna make it so tough to shoot that folks just hang it up.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:15 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
This is how you do it my friend

1 shot 1 kill.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:20 PM

Well I don't shoot mags off like most. Basicly I am a flintlock shooter, and learning to not flinch is hard with a flintlock, more so if you shoot a for righty gun lefty like me.

We don't waer any eye glasses , because pre-1840 no one had eye glasses but the ill. This is a major beef of mine with Cow Boy Action shooting. Those guys have all the stuff and the right look, but ruin it with wrist watches and modern eye wear.

I can almost understand the eye wear for safety issues, but what's the deal with wrist watches.

I have black powder embedded in my cheeks and my ears from line shooting with other guys with flintlocks. I wear these dark spots proudly.

While I own several AK's and other semi auto guns I still do one shot kills if i choose to use them.

When and If shtf comes I still will shoot the way I do now and that means if I choose the AK I expect 30 dead deer or other game animals to eat per mag. I doubt I will choose any AK for hunting as I don't now. I consider them to be big pistols. I consider my Winchester 30-30 to be a big pistol too. And mine while it still has a saddle ring, the ring is covered in sinew, so it won't slap.

I can't see more than 50 feet in these woods, but I still have bolt guns with more wallop than the 7.62x39, and or about the same ballistics as the winnie 30-30.

Since there have been plenty of Moose killed in NH with the 30-30 I don't feel under gunned with them, and have read many accounts of moose being taken with a .22 long. For bear in BP as I see it it is .50 cal and up only, and or no less than say .270 in modern brass. But bear to me is NH Blacks, not Grizz. There is no Grizz in NH, so I have no need to worry about thaat problem.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:28 AM

Yup that works..... To get used to the flash of a flintlock with other guys, we would load or not the gun. You didn't know if you had a loaded gun, a primed pan only, or nothing what so ever.

That flash is like an atomic bomb going off inches from the eye. It's a tuff thing to get used to.

As hard a thing and off tpic is motorcycling skill of 'seeing ' where the escape path is to go. The eye wants to look at the soon to be crash site instead.

Both skills are looking thru the situation at hand and seeing the target path past the point of seeing. Both are hard to learn. At least for me they both were.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:02 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
If I didn't wear my prescription eyeglasses, I wouldn't be able to hit the broad side of a flock of barns.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:14 PM

662 posts, read 1,228,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Seems that now you can't bring any handloads (understandable, since a lot of guys do over-load their ammo), no cast lead bullets, and, as far as I can see, you generally now have to buy your ammunition from the firing range. They insist on frangible, non-toxic bullets these days as well, but I can't even provide my legally made commercial "handloads" with such bullets.

I know they won't let me near the place with my Freedom Arms .454 Casull, since it would probably 1) deafen everyone in the place, even out in the office, 2) penetrate the backboard and/or 3) richochet all over the place!

I simply wanted to take a family lady friend down to a range in Portland, OR, along with my commercial light .32 Mag handloads for some intro handgun safety training, but... nope!

They also don't sell .32 Mag, so I'm out of luck, even if I wanted to pay exorbitant prices. Guess we'll have to go out into the woods east of PDX.... bummer!

Any similar experiences in your neighborhoods? Anyone else not happy with this sitch?
The biggest problems with public shooting ranges is that there are not very many in my current area. The ones around are all private and change ~$10 per shooting session, and that doesn't include ammo or targets. The nearest free range to me is about 80 miles and another state away Apparently the public ranges around here got shut down because people treated them as dumping grounds for old appliances and trash and graffitied them. Funny, it wasn't a problem in the "redneck" state I used to live in and there were lots of public DNR ranges around, including one within 10 miles of my former residence. Those ranges didn't have any restrictions on anything, and I gladly blew enormous holes in the rubber target holders and deafened my range mates with .50-cal saboted slugs during my slug gun practice rounds. Most of the people shot .22s (I did as well), handguns, and any rifle that shot cheap steel-case milsurp ammunition (ARs, AKs, and SKSes.) Sometimes you'd see somebody patterning a turkey gun, practicing their defensive shotgun skills for 3-gun, or shooting hand-thrown clays. Reloading was the rule; if you shot a centerfire and didn't pick up brass quickly, somebody would ask you if you wanted to keep it.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:16 AM

191 posts, read 180,842 times
so why are you paying taxes to NJ jerks, who use your own money to oppress you, hmm? vote with your feet and go live in a state that treats you better.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:57 PM

827 posts, read 1,672,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giney12 View Post
so why are you paying taxes to NJ jerks, who use your own money to oppress you, hmm? vote with your feet and go live in a state that treats you better.
Easier said then done. Too many varialbles Job, Family, Friends, Home to sell [in THIS deflated market] MAYBE someday YOU will understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting