Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 02:57 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,169,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
I have several European friends visiting, ad they have eagerly asked me about unloading some rounds at a shooting range. They have zero knowledge about guns, so I wonder is there's any problem with it (maybe the range owners won't let them shoot or whatever)
I'm sure it's fine, but be very careful with those guys. I just hate being around non-shooters at a range, they're dangerous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 03:00 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,169,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
I've never shot a gun before either (never even saw one until I was in my twenties) but thought if I ever went to America I'd easily be able to go to a firing range and see what all the fuss is about. Shame there seems to be more to it than I thought.
There always is. It's a shame about the british. They made some of the best firearms on the planet at one time. They also hunted the entire globe. It's a damn shame.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:39 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,106,149 times
Default Taking European friends to a shooting range?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Theres no big fuss & A little instruction isn't a big deal. Would you just jump in a car & drive if you never did before?

Guns are very simple things & not hard at all to be safe with. The biggest issue I see really with anybody from teenagers up handling guns for the first time is breaking a lifetime of habits that are dangerous with real guns.

People tend to pick them up & start turning them over to look at them inadvertantly pointing them at by standers. Even though a gun may be new, things shaped just like them arent. But while its ok to point your new cordless drill at somebody while checking it out its not ok with a gun. I'v seen people actually pick a gun up & look down the barrel.
You need to KNOW how to tell if its loaded or not & how to load & unload it, alot of things but nothing terribly hard to do.

I actually like teaching smaller chidren better because theres less bad habits to break & they are more used to listening than adults.

People have alot of misconceptions about America. You can probably find a public indoor range that rents guns in most cities. But unless they know you or you have a pistol permit or something documenting your proficiency all that I know of would require a lesson with a certified instructor. Its not as you might believe that you can just go someplace, buy a gun & start shooting.

The NRA first steps class is a good one & you get to shoot during it as well. Believe it or not you will have a hundred questions & having someone qualified to answer them is well worth whatever they charge you.
I agree with Tin Knocker when he stress's safety. You can never be too safe. One lapse of staying alert and being careless is all it takes to end a life. You can't go back and fix a mistake when you make one with a firearm. My youngest son has handled firearms all his adult life, he was a training officer for a police agency, yesterday he made a careless, fatal mistake, with a loaded weapon, the last one he will ever make. So, be careful, you don't get a second chance to do it right.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:58 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,413,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
I agree with Tin Knocker when he stress's safety. You can never be too safe. One lapse of staying alert and being careless is all it takes to end a life. You can't go back and fix a mistake when you make one with a firearm. My youngest son has handled firearms all his adult life, he was a training officer for a police agency, yesterday he made a careless, fatal mistake, with a loaded weapon, the last one he will ever make. So, be careful, you don't get a second chance to do it right.

If I understand this post right.... I'm not sure what to say.

You have my sincere condolences.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:49 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,594,597 times
Don't give them tracers; they might think its a rave.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:02 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,106,149 times
Default Taking European friends to a shooting

Quote:
If I understand this post right.... I'm not sure what to say.

You have my sincere condolences.
Thank you. Unfortunately, you understood what I said correctly. One screw up one time is all it takes. We can never be too careful.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:32 PM

Again, you have my condolences. I imagine words are pretty hollow though. God Bless you & yours.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:15 PM

24,514 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Does anyone want to get into the legality of non-residents or in this case ESTA/B1/B2 tourists and handling weapons and ammo or are y'all strictly interested in how to teach gun useage?

Old 02-14-2011, 09:21 AM

I dont think theres any legal issues with non residents handling or shooting guns. Just owning or carrying them.

Old 02-18-2011, 04:30 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,336,259 times
Quote:
Again, you have my condolences. I imagine words are pretty hollow though. God Bless you & yours.
The same from me.

Good thoughts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting