Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 02:50 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times

Advertisements

I'm just going to appeal to both your sensibilities one more time. I'm all for a good knuckle busting every once and a while but I save it for the P&C forums. It's obvious both of you two are probably very nice people and fellow gun owners, that means you have a lot in common already. I'm just asking you please stop or ignore each other for a while. Your turning this into another gun forum that most of us other posters don't care for that's why we post about guns here.

Thank you in advance.
Bulldogdad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 03:46 PM

827 posts, read 1,672,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Welcome to the Silver State. Now go home....lmao just kidding. First handgun aye? Welllll....wow. There are so many to choose from. I'm kinda partial to a good revolver ala. SW mod 19 or 66 for simplicity, power range ( 38 wa wa to 357 OMG) and ex ellent accuracy. My. 02 anyhoo
I do agree. A good 38 or 357 is the best for some one who's a beginner.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:46 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,056,554 times
A Ruger LCR or Smith and Wesson J frame or Bodyguard should be considered. They're both well made, easy to carry, easily concealed, adequate firepwer and 5 shots should be enough to stop an attacker.
I'd like to see the LCR in 327 magnum, though. 6 shots vs 5 in that small size frame sounds like a winner.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:50 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
A Ruger LCR or Smith and Wesson J frame or Bodyguard should be considered. They're both well made, easy to carry, easily concealed, adequate firepwer and 5 shots should be enough to stop an attacker.
I'd like to see the LCR in 327 magnum, though. 6 shots vs 5 in that small size frame sounds like a winner.
I thought Ruger was making the LCR in 327? Am I in error. Gasp ....lmao don't have any experience with the new magnum...supposed to be a real hotrod. Is there a sub caliber for it? I would recommend that a total beginner fight shy of full house mags in any loading till ya get some trigger time with milder stuff. A hot 57 as a first experience could spoil it for you. Especially in a J frame or other small piece.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:05 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
No one should begin shooting using .357 magnum ammo. But a steel .357 magnum revolver is an excellent choice. The tyro can begin using .38 Short Colt, then move up to a light .38 special load...finally using the .357 magnum.

I'd recommend either the Smith & Wesson Model 686 for a larger gun or the Model 649 for pocket carry. I carry the latter when I'm wearing a heavy coat. This summer I've begun to carry a Smith & Wesson Model 638 loaded with 52 grain Magsafes. The recoil is moderate and the stopping power should be excellent.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:54 AM

859 posts, read 2,828,667 times
My Sig P226 9mm is compact enough to be carried daily most of the time. Little hard to hide in summer.

I recently picked up a Ruger LCP .380 and it's a terrific gun. Small enough to hide just about anywhere and super simple to use. I've put appox 1000 rounds down range and never had a FTF or FTE.

Of course here in the crappy state of Illinois are basic 2nd amendment rights are still forbidden so I can only carry on my property or out of state...

Old 07-22-2011, 01:20 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,344,311 times
Ruger LC9

It's small enough for pocket carry and with a good JHP load the 9MM is more than adequate for CC.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:08 PM

Hmmmm ...357 revolver or some autoloader or another from 9 mm to. 45? Lmao that narrows things down a bit aye... I have to stick to a wheelgun as the best for a total beginner. The 357 seems the most versatile and cheapest to practice with for my money. I'm partial to SW s line but River has some fine models as well. I'm not real keen on Taurus or other knock off makes but that don't mean they should be left out either. One of these could be just fine as well. The trick is to like what you choose and practice with it. I love my 66 SW. I also have a couple 1911s a Walther P22 amid 25 .45 LC a 625.....guns are worse than good hot wings. Can't have just one. Numnum. I almost envy the OP. Just gettin into it....ahhhh to be young again as when.the world was.new.......

Old 07-22-2011, 04:35 PM

46,267 posts, read 27,088,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
The trick is to like what you choose and practice with it
Had to rep you on that one....

I really does not matter what you have, if your comfortable shooting what you have....then that is what counts....

But, I will say, On this board I said practice, practice practice...and was bashed pretty hard....about practice and perfect practice.....or practice perfect practice....

I know I know, it sounds like I continue to bring stuff up or say things others don't like......but when I do it and then others do it WITHOUT the same response I did...makes you wonder...about the people on this board....

Old 07-22-2011, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Had to rep you on that one....

I really does not matter what you have, if your comfortable shooting what you have....then that is what counts....

But, I will say, On this board I said practice, practice practice...and was bashed pretty hard....about practice and perfect practice.....or practice perfect practice....

I know I know, it sounds like I continue to bring stuff up or say things others don't like......but when I do it and then others do it WITHOUT the same response I did...makes you wonder...about the people on this board....
To advocate practice is a Biblical tenet for me. I wholeheartedly concur that practice is good. Did I mention practice? Uh huh yep. Ok. I am totally on board there. I would NEVER bash anyone for preaching trigger time. That's what guns are for. Shooting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting