Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 06:42 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,266,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johna01374 View Post
Had the same problem with my 27.
I had a Glock 27 and had to use magazine extenders or plus 2's (which equaled one round of 40SW). So I ended up selling it and buying a Kimber.

Quote:
As for the 1911's.. I know I'm going to get grief for this but I don't understand the obsession. The two I've owned were a pain in the butt and never fit my hand correctly. Keep in mind I have huge hands and the 1911 frames were just too small. To each his own but they're not for me.
It doesn't bother me the least. I generally tell people to buy what feels good in their hands...provided it's a reliable firearm to begin with. As for me, I just love the looks and feel of the 1911.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 10:44 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
As well as countless Law Enforcement divisions across the US and 29 different countries.
Countless???

Very few departments allowed any semi-autos until the late to mid 70's much less the 1911s. As for the military, the 1911 never saw the level of adoption that the Mr. Browning's Hi-Power achieved.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:48 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
I agree that Glock's are everywhere and everyone seems to have one but for the life of me I can't understand why. Having owned two different models I will be the first to say they are incredibly uncomfortable to shoot for any length of time. After 100 rounds at the range in my 19 I was done. Wrist hurt, hand hurt etc. Had the same problem with my 27.
I avoided Glocks for the same reason for years until I came to the conclusion that Glocks were never intended to be range queens, which they certainly aren't. That doesn't mean that that there are very comfortable and practical defense weapons but I have yet to find a subcompact in 40 S&W that has the same reliability and low maintenance of the 27.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:54 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,266,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I have yet to find a subcompact in 40 S&W that has the same reliability and low maintenance of the 27.
My Glock 27 had two failure to ejects back to back..less than 200rds through the tube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Countless???

Very few departments allowed any semi-autos until the late to mid 70's much less the 1911s.
It's true, a lot of departments used traditional revolvers but some departments were liberal and allowed semi-autos. In earlier days cops handled a lot if crimes with a night stick. It wasn't until Jack Cooper came along in the 60's that people started looking into something other than a 38 revolver. Crime really wasn't an issue until the 60's either. But you're still leaving out 40+ yrs after departments started opening up to semi-autos.

Anyhow, here is a small modern day list of departments allowed to carry the 1911. I imagine a much larger list 10-30yrs ago.

Which Agencies Still Allow the 1911 - 1911Forum

Austin Police Department, Texas
Austin ISD Police Department, Texas
Blanco County Sheriff’s Office, Texas
Pepper Pike Police Department, Ohio
Mentor Police Department, Ohio
South Russell Police Department, Ohio
Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department, Nevada
Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department, California
Hillsboro Police Department, New Hampshire
St. Charles Police Department, Illinois
Kane County Sheriff’s Department, Illinois
Sugar Grove Police Department, Illinois
Dalworthington Police Department, Texas
Hay’s County Sheriff, Texas
Williamson County Sheriff, Texas
Tacoma Police Department, Washington (issues Kimber TLE II)
Denver Police Department, Colorado
Aurora Police Department, Colorado
Lakewood Police Department, Colorado
Douglass County Sheriff Department, Colorado
Greenwood Village Police Department, Colorado
Wheatridge Police Department, Colorado
Thornton Police Department, Colorado
Salt Lake City Police Department, Utah
Utah State Patrol, Utah
Dickinson Police Department, Texas
Friendswood Police Department, Texas
Galveston Police Department, Texas
**LAPD SWAT
**FBI SWAT
**FBI HRT
Fife Police Department, Washington
Kittitas County Sheriff Department, Washington
San Diego Police Department, California
Blanco County Sheriff, Texas
Los Angeles County, California
Maricopa County Sheriff's Office, Arizona
Ripon Police Department, California
Anaheim Police Department, California
Salinas Police Department, California
Garden Grove Police Department, California
San Jose Police Department, California
Del Rey Oaks Police Department, California
Richmond Police Department, California
Pomona Police Department, California
Downey Police Department, California
Long beach Police Department, California
Maywood Police Department, California
Hurst Police Department, Texas
Franklin Police Department, Tennessee
Denton Police Department, Texas
Dalworthington Gardens Police Department, Texas
Tarrant County Sheriff’s Office, Texas
Gahanna Police Department, Ohio
Leon County Sheriff’s Office, Florida
Tallahassee Police Department, Florida
Albuquerque Police Department, New Mexico
Imperial Police Department, Nebraska
Cooke County Sheriff’s Office, Nebraska
Southern Illinois University Police, Texas
Roswell Police Department, New Mexico
Tucumari Police Department, New Mexico
Curry County Sheriff, New Mexico
Luna County Sheriff, NM
Portales Police Department, NM
Debaca County Sheriff, NM
Raton Police Department, NM
San Marcos Police Department, TX
Nacogdoches County Sheriff, TX
Houston County Sheriff, TX
Kerr County Sheriff, TX
Kerrville Police Department, TX (issues Glock 35 allows 1911)
Carbon County Sheriff, WY
Sweet Grass County Sheriff, MT
Still Water County Sheriff, MT
Carbon County Sheriff, MT

Old 11-17-2011, 03:00 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
I can remember a time when the 1911 would have been a SWAT-only proposition. Police administrators would have freaked out at the thought of a patrol cop carrying a single-action. Perhaps with the exception of backward, rural departments in Texas. Recently I was surprised to learn that Tacoma PD (near where I live) now carries Kimber 1911s! Over the years attitudes have changed. Training is more important to safety than gear. And the purpose of a gun is to put down the bad guy, and thus save the life of the good guy. If a 1911 can do that best, so be it.

It turns out that the backwards Texans were not so backwards.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:33 PM

409 posts, read 318,501 times
*Warning...don't do this.* It's not that he tossed it, it's HOW he tossed it. End over end flipping. Throw it straight out with muzzle away next time. Never the less, this is WHY guys like both. One's a safe queen for many guys. They don't bang it around, get it wet, or scratch it. The GLOCK... who cares? You just buy another one after the dog ate it!

GLOCK 21 VS COLT 1911.wmv GLOCK GETS WET!!!!!!!! - YouTube

Old 02-02-2012, 04:15 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,383,410 times
I was lucky enough to find a Glock-19 Gen 2.

Fantastic gun!

Old 02-02-2012, 04:20 PM

2,836 posts, read 3,495,359 times
The Glock is a very good pistol; but it can’t be compared to the Colt .45 automatic. The Colt .45 is the model of simplicity, functionality, reliability. The Glock pistol is none of these things - it’s sole claim to fame is performance; which is questionable. (The Glock Pistol is made in Austria; which is a guarantee of high quality - but that’s all.) The question is: What do we want in a handgun? We went through this when the government switched from the Colt .45 to the Berretta 9mm; which was a big mistake. (There was nothing wrong with all the Colt’s we had (not to mention all the stock-piled ammunition.) Like everything political, we have an inferior thing; which now is the official side-arm for our armed forces.

You can have your "modern" handguns: I’m keeping my Colt..45 Auto - thank you very much.

Old 02-02-2012, 04:23 PM

409 posts, read 318,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
I was lucky enough to find a Glock-19 Gen 2.

Fantastic gun!
I love them both for different reasons. However, no GLOCK I know of takes more than a few hundred rounds to call it good and carry it. They also don't care about Wolf ammo, cheap military surplus, or hollow points. Most go bang everytime. With that said, nothing shoots like a 1911 in the right hands. Shooting a Bic pen in half at 50' is no problem at all for MANY guys. Instant respect for the 1911. The smart guy owns a GLOCK and repects ther other. Many own both, like I do.

Old 02-02-2012, 04:25 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,383,410 times
I also absolutely love 1911's.

I've been searching for a nice Colt or Kimber.
Of course a Springfield Armory would also find a welcome spot in my heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting