Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 07:15 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,009,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
Wow, so many replies in a short amount of time.

Someone mentioned a smaller caliber and less recoil... that is NOT what I'm looking for. I will still carry my Glock 27 most of the time, but I'm looking for a smaller dimension gun for pocket carry when my shirt is tucked in (church, formal events, etc).

Also, I am a police officer, and I am limited to what guns I can carry off duty. I checked the list and narrowed it to the Ruger LCP .380 or the Kel Tec P-3AT .380. From what I gather online, they are pretty much the same. I will go to a gun store and handle them to see which I like better.

And for the record, I wouldn't carry anything smaller than a .380, and would prefer a larger caliber if concealability wasn't the issue. Someone said they are carrying a Glock 26 in their pocket... that can't be comfortable.
Seeing your intended use I'd suggest skipping pocket carry entirely and opting for something along the lines of an Airweight S&W Bodyguard in a DeSantis Apache ankle holster; Apache® Ankle Rig — DeSantis Holster (http://www.desantisholster.com/store/WHATS-NEW/p250-sub-compact/ankle-rigs/Apache-Ankle-Rig - broken link)

The holster is very stable and does a great job of pulling the revolver into your leg to aid in concealment. It's also the most comfortable ankle holster I've used.

Between the traditionally thin material of dress pants and their less than robust pockets I think you'd likely find pocket carry is fairly destructive to your clothing. Additionally I can't imagine sitting through a sermon with a pistol in my pocket to be a comfortable experience.

You'd lose some speed in presentation with the ankle holster. That may be negated by the enhanced ease of draw from a seated position the ankle holster offers. It would also serve as a nice backup for work. There's a degree of comfort to be gained from the knowledge you can actually access a firearm while seated behind the wheel.

The above may not be the best solution but I believe it does offer some advantages over a pocket pistol.

Last edited by outbacknv; 05-24-2011 at 07:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 07:19 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,125,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
Plenty of people have died from .22 wounds. Plenty more haven't. The fact that a .22 was recently used in successfully stopping a would be rapist does not change the reality of the round.

Discounting an extremely well placed shot (not likely under the stress of a violent attack) a .22 lacks the necessary power to reliably stop an attack quickly. This isn't speculation or trying to coerce people into carrying larger calibers because they're more manly, it's a demonstrable scientific fact. The little bullet simply lacks the mass and velocity to disturb enough tissue to produce rapid results.

Whether the other person eventually dies or not is irrelevant. Particularly if during the time it takes them to bleed out they're continuing with their attack.

My apologies to the OP for contributing to the hijack of his thread.

EXACTLY, Thank you.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:37 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
I'm considering swapping in my Springfield 4" XD45 for a small pocket gun. I will never carry the XD45 out in public, and it isn't really doing any good sitting in my safe. I bought the XD45 for $260 brand new, so I'm hoping to get a little more than that out of it (currently retails for $500+). I currently carry a Glock 27 around, and I would like a smaller gun to carry in my pocket when I have to tuck my shirt in.

I'm thinking the smallest caliber I would be willing to carry is a .380. I would like recommendations and pictures of your setup if you have them.
If the OP is not of the mindset to go to the effort to carry a concealed compact SpringfieldXD in public, what makes him/her believe he/she will be of the mind to carry/use a pocket gun responsibly?

Midset has to be an integral part of your wardrobe every time you leave your house. If the mindset is not there for one gun in .45ACPwhy should it suddenly appear just because the next gun in a smaller caliber fits in a pocket?

Old 05-24-2011, 07:48 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
The topic here is "self defense" by Joe/Jane Average not people who's job it is to go in harms way. Apples to Oranges.

Put a few .22 rounds in a person and they will still need medical attention or they will die. No?

Note the kick back the untrained hand, or frightened hand, will have to deal with for the 9mm as opposed to the .22. The .22 will be steady enough to get more rounds on the target than the 9mm will.

Question of the Day: Is .22 a “Good Enough” Defensive Caliber? | The Truth About Guns
Folk's watch the video.........please. If you need your backup gun the attacker is going to be real close so you want the least recoil to drop the most rounds on the bad guy as fast as you can.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:52 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,009,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
If the OP is not of the mindset to go to the effort to carry a concealed compact SpringfieldXD in public, what makes him/her believe he/she will be of the mind to carry/use a pocket gun responsibly?

Midset has to be an integral part of your wardrobe every time you leave your house. If the mindset is not there for one gun in .45ACPwhy should it suddenly appear just because the next gun in a smaller caliber fits in a pocket?
I fully agree with your statement but think you must have missed one of the OP's posts. He's looking for an additional CCW weapon for use under specific circumstances;

Quote:
Wow, so many replies in a short amount of time.

Someone mentioned a smaller caliber and less recoil... that is NOT what I'm looking for. I will still carry my Glock 27 most of the time, but I'm looking for a smaller dimension gun for pocket carry when my shirt is tucked in (church, formal events, etc).

Also, I am a police officer, and I am limited to what guns I can carry off duty. I checked the list and narrowed it to the Ruger LCP .380 or the Kel Tec P-3AT .380. From what I gather online, they are pretty much the same. I will go to a gun store and handle them to see which I like better.

And for the record, I wouldn't carry anything smaller than a .380, and would prefer a larger caliber if concealability wasn't the issue. Someone said they are carrying a Glock 26 in their pocket... that can't be comfortable.
Different tools for different uses is a good thing. I think it's a much better thing to add a weapon that is likely to be carried than the oft used option of not carrying because it would be inconvenient.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:53 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,125,362 times
Quote:
Folk's watch the video.........please. If you need your backup gun the attacker is going to be real close so you want the least recoil to drop the most rounds on the bad guy as fast as you can.
Predicting the future now?

Why not, since you know what other people are thinking (Your statement when talking about contractors)

Faster than this?:

YouTube - ‪GLOCK MAGAZINE DUMP "POV"‬‏

(Random video)

Old 05-24-2011, 08:33 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,957,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

Because it isn't a compact Springfield XD45, it is the full size 4" barrel and it weighs a ton. I wish I did own an XD subcompact. It could be concealed, but not easily on my frame. Hence the reason I carry a Glock 27 almost everywhere. Did you read my original post or any of the posts after it? I mentioned needing a gun for when I tuck my shirt in.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:00 PM

9,412 posts, read 11,159,448 times
Quote:
Bullpuckey! A .22 is as good a weapon as person will need to defend themselves. Sure, a person can carry a .50 cal and still not stop an aggressor bent on doing you harm. Empty a .22 or a .25 into said aggressor and they will be either dead or seriously hurting but they are not likely to be able to hurt you!

Folks who favor big guns for self defense also carry big ego's too.
Interesting discussion with many opinions. Hopefully nobody here will need to find out how accurately they shoot under extreme duress and how reliably their rounds stop the activity.

Have you considered a .22 mag or .17 HMR? These can be got in 8-shooter revolvers as well as semi-autos.

Off topic a bit, but...reading some background on the Dodger Stadium beating that left the paramedic in a coma, one story was of a gangland shooting where the hood shot his victim twice from 40-50 feet with a .32, killing him.

One of my Special Forces buds loved his (legally) silenced.22 auto. He said they use them a lot, deadly in the right circumstances, no kick, no noise.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:05 AM

1,478 posts, read 5,083,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Try the Galco Ankle Glove.
Thanks. I'm not sure what I had at the time but I'm sure it was something cheap. I've gotten used to carrying behind my hip, but if I ever revisit the ankle holster I'll check out Galco's. They offer a lot of value in the quality vs. price of their stuff.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:01 AM

4,098 posts, read 7,106,149 times
Default Good pocket gun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
Unless you're dead set on carrying in your pocket, I'd suggest spending the $200 (give or take) and geting a good holster and a proper belt. A quality holster and belt will keep the gun high and close to your body. You could carry a .45 (single stack & no rail) under a plain t-shirt just behind your hip. I carry a Colt "New Agent" 1911. My second choice would be a Kahr PM45.

It's summer time, so when I think of a gun that will ride along in my pocket, even most .380's would be too big without wearing a jacket. A little Kel-Tec would work, but I carry enough crap in my pockets already. I'm not married to the .45 ACP by any means, but I would never carry a .22 or a .25, sorry.

If you're going to invest in a good gun to carry, invest in a good rig to carry it in. I went with a Don Hume open top leather holster and belt, but there are a ton of others out there. I had a kydex (fancy word for plastic) Blade-Tech IWB holster that I was very happy with for my Sig P239, but it has a thick slide and a lot of my pants did not allow the extra room in the waist so I would hardly carry it.

I second this post! What ever you do, don't carry a '25 auto', they are totally worthless. I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry (45 ACP) in either a Ted Blocker (my preferred choice) or Crossbreed "Supertuck" holster. These holsters are in side the wasteband holsters and your firearm is held tightly against your body, usually just behind your right hip bone for a right handed person. I have a 380 Keltec and also several small J Frame S&W revolvers that I could carry and sometimes do. Depends on the situation and what I'm doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting