Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 10:14 AM

430 posts, read 1,192,878 times

Advertisements

I've never seen anything like it, what disadvantages does it have over the AR/G3/FAL platforms. It's over all length is 26.1 inches and barrel length of 18 inches. It's seems like it's very practical when your in a vehicle or within a cramped space. My thoughts of this weapon is that it is amazing and innovative. What your thoughts on this?
Heres a pic of it for a comparison, it's on top of the FAL.

Heres it in action.

Kel-Tec .308 Bull-pup! - YouTube

Last edited by Mister Miaugie; 05-13-2012 at 10:16 AM.. Reason: Broken link, missing info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 02:13 PM

46,307 posts, read 27,131,867 times
Nope, don't really feel like shooting through walls just in case I miss.

Honestly a nice pump shotgun loaded with #6 heavy load, with a skeet barrel....that will do wonders....

Old 05-13-2012, 03:48 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,953,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Miaugie View Post
......... It's seems like it's very practical when your in a vehicle or within a cramped space. My thoughts of this weapon is that it is amazing and innovative. What your thoughts on this?......

Practical, shooting from a vehicle, no. I'm hoping that the OP is not a gang member looking for a "drive-by" weapon.

Unless one lives out in the country, in grizly country, or in a country where people are exchanging gunfire at each other on a regular basis, .308 isn't a "home defense" round. No need for that velocity/range in any USA town. For precision shooting and ranges out beyond 2 football fields, yes. Note that the "stand your ground" laws on self-defense are not going to cover you when your threat is at such great distances that a more "social" caliber cannot get the job done.

That said, nothing wrong with having a .308 for plinking (for the few who can still afford plinking cases of .308 rounds) or hunting. The bullpup would be my last choice for either of the aformentioned activities. To me, the bullpup in .308 is a transfer device. The OP's MMV.

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 05-13-2012 at 04:02 PM..

Old 05-13-2012, 03:57 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,843,631 times
Sorry - between over penetration and the deafening effect of the discharge....not for me!

Old 05-13-2012, 04:12 PM

86 posts, read 268,869 times
Maybe if your home is a sailboat, and you frequent dangerous waters... that's really all I can think about that can be used for effectively. It would have the punch up close with the portability if needed to use below deck, and the range.

Chances are, you wouldn't be sailing into those waters in the first place.

Old 05-13-2012, 04:14 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,201,191 times
Quote:
It's seems like it's very practical when your in a vehicle or within a cramped space. My thoughts of this weapon is that it is amazing and innovative.
Using it in a vehicle will blow your windows out, and you'll probably make yourself go deaf. Using it in a cramped space will make you go deaf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Nope, don't really feel like shooting through walls just in case I miss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Sorry - between over penetration and the deafening effect of the discharge....not for me!
Plus, you'll shoot your eye out, kid.

Old 05-13-2012, 04:27 PM

430 posts, read 1,192,878 times
They make similar platforms using .223 /5.56 nato rounds, pistol rounds and some weird shotgun with 6+6+1 capacity. I'm not endorsing I just want to know your thoughts on their want your thoughts on their products.

Old 05-13-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
They make similar platforms using .223 /5.56 nato rounds, pistol rounds and some weird shotgun with 6+6+1 capacity. I'm not endorsing I just want to know your thoughts on their want your thoughts on their products.
The bullpup configuration does not offer anything my AR platforms cannot already do.

Kel-Tec is not at the top of my "go to" companies in terms of reliability or customer service.

I'll admit the shottie has me intrigued but I'd like to see one operate in person x 500-1000 rounds in a weekend before I'd lay any money out for one. Frankly, I'm probably not strong enough to hold 15 rounds of 12 ga. in the magazines and hold the gun up on target the entire time. It would be more productive and realistic for me just to keep feeding rounds into an 870 while on the move.

Old 05-13-2012, 05:55 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,279,345 times
Quote:
The ONE advantage a bullpup has is that it's shorter overall length, the disadvantages are:-
  • the chamber is right next to your cheek so any catastrophic failure can be far more devastating than a regular rifle.
  • The charging handle is often in a location where you need to dismount the rifle to charge
  • Since the trigger/selector controls are in the standard position, there are longer linkages needed for them to operate as a "standard" configuration does, this introduces more play in the controls, which can result in selectors being safe when not, or not when on safe, trigger breaks are often not as crisp.
  • The balance for me is wrong, I expect a rifles balance point to be around the mid-point between my front and rear and positions, with the exception of the FN2000 and P90 (SBR, the regular length was front heavy) I've never found one that did not have a balance point behind my dominant hand. Mag changes are also more difficult, since you have to dismount the rifle to change magazines effectively, with the magazine being behind your dominant hand.
  • depending on the rifles construction, since the magazine is the lowest point of most rifles, this can lead to the rifle not being able to be comfortably fired prone.
The do look cool though, and since the Kel-Tec is front ejection, there's no problem with firing offhand and getting hot brass in your eye (which is a problem with side ejection bullpups when you want to minimize your exposure).

On Kel-Tec not my fave company, while I have had little exposure to their products, its because every time I've thought maybe they've improved and tried one, it's been disappointing. I know that others have had some good experiences, which is why I'll occasionally give them another whirl.

On the RFB, while I personally can't confirm this, the reports I'm seeing on it require less than trivial jams (anything that actuating the charging handle won't fix) require a field strip, or some creativity, since the ejection port is too deep to get a finger in to try to lever any stuck spent casing from it (or you have a finger like an Eye-Eye), the other alternative is through the Mag Well, however that's not exactly the simplest of things either.

On a 308 for a self defense platform, nope, not unless the world has ended as we know it and others have covered those issues here.

If you want a short car/truck gun, why not just go pay the $200 tax and get an SBR? You don't need accuracy at range, if you've just plugged a guy in the head at 300 or more yards, trying to prove imminent fear of death or serious injury could be difficult in such an event.

Last edited by Gungnir; 05-13-2012 at 06:48 PM.. Reason: P90 not P30

Old 05-14-2012, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
The ONE advantage a bullpup has is that it's shorter overall length, the disadvantages are:-
  • the chamber is right next to your cheek so any catastrophic failure can be far more devastating than a regular rifle.
  • The charging handle is often in a location where you need to dismount the rifle to charge
  • Since the trigger/selector controls are in the standard position, there are longer linkages needed for them to operate as a "standard" configuration does, this introduces more play in the controls, which can result in selectors being safe when not, or not when on safe, trigger breaks are often not as crisp.
  • The balance for me is wrong, I expect a rifles balance point to be around the mid-point between my front and rear and positions, with the exception of the FN2000 and P90 (SBR, the regular length was front heavy) I've never found one that did not have a balance point behind my dominant hand. Mag changes are also more difficult, since you have to dismount the rifle to change magazines effectively, with the magazine being behind your dominant hand.
  • depending on the rifles construction, since the magazine is the lowest point of most rifles, this can lead to the rifle not being able to be comfortably fired prone.
The do look cool though, and since the Kel-Tec is front ejection, there's no problem with firing offhand and getting hot brass in your eye (which is a problem with side ejection bullpups when you want to minimize your exposure).

On Kel-Tec not my fave company, while I have had little exposure to their products, its because every time I've thought maybe they've improved and tried one, it's been disappointing. I know that others have had some good experiences, which is why I'll occasionally give them another whirl.

On the RFB, while I personally can't confirm this, the reports I'm seeing on it require less than trivial jams (anything that actuating the charging handle won't fix) require a field strip, or some creativity, since the ejection port is too deep to get a finger in to try to lever any stuck spent casing from it (or you have a finger like an Eye-Eye), the other alternative is through the Mag Well, however that's not exactly the simplest of things either.

On a 308 for a self defense platform, nope, not unless the world has ended as we know it and others have covered those issues here.

If you want a short car/truck gun, why not just go pay the $200 tax and get an SBR? You don't need accuracy at range, if you've just plugged a guy in the head at 300 or more yards, trying to prove imminent fear of death or serious injury could be difficult in such an event.
For that matter, why not just put a folding stock on an AK-47?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting