Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 05:57 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,530,498 times

Advertisements

Glad she was able to talk with someone and very nice of you to offer. The OP hasn't posted today, so hope all is well with her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Interesting.....but having spoken with her by phone I better understand now the issue she's facing and the reasons for wanting to arm herself. Working on getting her in touch with folks local to her to be able to help guide her - both in terms of training and education, as well as selection.

Folks, let me tell you a little secret.....all too often, what we THINK will get a cop involved and helping us....won't. They're spread too thin, and the laws we've demanded to be put in place to end "harrassment" and "over-zealous" officers cuts both ways - and in this case, what could've been handled 20-30 years ago by a visit from an LEO can't be done....so she's stuck.

Having said that, the desire to arm herself is for her protection within the confines of her home - so yeah, I say that's a wise decision, even if this current situation plays out without a confrontation.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:24 PM

46,328 posts, read 27,166,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Chuck why you always peckin for a fight?
I'm not, I really hate how some people act, though. Do you really think these people I'm talking about have not looked at this thread? Can I guarantee this 100%, absolutely not, but as much as they have posted in this gun forum, the chances are REALLY good those people have looked at this thread, this is just my opinion though....

I also still say this thread should have been closed....from the beginning...even other people have wondered about this thread...

Does that mean I'm wrong for saying "this thread should be closed."

Old 09-13-2011, 06:34 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,621,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I'm not, I really hate how some people act, though. Do you really think these people I'm talking about have not looked at this thread? Can I guarantee this 100%, absolutely not, but as much as they have posted in this gun forum, the chances are REALLY good those people have looked at this thread, this is just my opinion though....

I also still say this thread should have been closed....from the beginning...even other people have wondered about this thread.
This is the gun forum. The OP needed advice on guns. People here enjoy giving advice. This thread is fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Does that mean I'm wrong for saying "this thread should be closed."
It's not wrong; but it's irrelevant. You don't own this website.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:49 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,789,737 times
Recently there was a news report where a woman called in and reported a man who accidentally shot himself while in his car. (True story - my wife and I were watching it on the news)

The 911 operator asked if the man was still breathing?
Yes

Where did he shoot himself?
In the penis

Well here's what to do to stop the bleeding?

Do you know who the man is?
Yes, he's my fiancee.

(My wife said: "Not for long"!!!)

Apparently the guy was sitting behind the wheel, and either was putting his gun back in his front waist band, or was removing it, and it "unintentionally" fired.

When I carry a handgun, it'll be a revolver, and at least I learned where NOT to carry it.

I don't know anything about handguns so I can't offer any advice, but I do sympathize with the OP's situation, and hope she gets the advice that will work best for her.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:21 PM

859 posts, read 2,831,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
I love how people defend the Glock by falling back on your finger being the ultimate safety. This is true but people still manage to accidently shoot them selves with a Glock...including Law Enforcement. It's easy for those of us who grew up around firearms to get along without a physical safety but it's not something I would suggest for a beginner. I believe people need to crawl before they walk and master basic gun handling before moving on to a move advanced weapon systems.

As it stands, the OP is concerned about capacity which concerns me. People need to learn how to shoot instead of "spray and pray." Lower capacity firearms forces a shooter to make each round count effectively improving one's aim.
I will agree to a point and I have never been a fan glocks. I've always said they put too much hype into their safety trigger and it gives people a false sense of security. I've actually seen experienced gun owners play (spin) a loaded glock as they thought it was so safe.

As for unintended discharge by law enforcement officers. That's not a good example. I don't want to insult any of our law enforcement officials here but in general they tend to be the least trained and have the least amount of gun knowledge. Most only qualify once a year and their guns stay holstered The rest of the year. Can't blame them as the training offered by most departments is minimal at best and they have more than enough to worry about on a daily basis. I would trust a double action auto to any first timer shooter with proper training.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:27 AM

46,328 posts, read 27,166,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
This is the gun forum. The OP needed advice on guns. People here enjoy giving advice. This thread is fine.

As I, when I can give advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
It's not wrong; but it's irrelevant. You don't own this website.
So you do own the website...nice to meet ya, since you can put your opinion up and nobody else can.........

Old 09-14-2011, 02:48 PM

7,999 posts, read 12,287,853 times
Thread closed pending moderator consideration.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:08 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,956,329 times
Reopened after moderation.

Mod Reminder: stay on topic -- offer advice pertaining to the OP and any pertinent legalities. Don't cast aspersions on or make hostile personal judgments against other posters, because that does violate the TOS.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:01 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,008,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Interesting.....but having spoken with her by phone I better understand now the issue she's facing and the reasons for wanting to arm herself. Working on getting her in touch with folks local to her to be able to help guide her - both in terms of training and education, as well as selection.

Folks, let me tell you a little secret.....all too often, what we THINK will get a cop involved and helping us....won't. They're spread too thin, and the laws we've demanded to be put in place to end "harrassment" and "over-zealous" officers cuts both ways - and in this case, what could've been handled 20-30 years ago by a visit from an LEO can't be done....so she's stuck.

Having said that, the desire to arm herself is for her protection within the confines of her home - so yeah, I say that's a wise decision, even if this current situation plays out without a confrontation.
Thanks TexasRedneck and I know you understand my situation.

As far as Law Enforcement, I do realize they have higher priorities than me. All I ask is to be able to document the going ons so if something DOES happen it's on the record. These things are not my imagination and I feel like I have to be my own detective here. Each morning I go out and look for any evidence that someone has been on my property and if I find it, I take pictures. Sometimes I send them on. Sometimes I don't.

You are correct. This is only to be used at home WITHIN the confines of my home. Chrome Kitty, I was busy today getting a new security panel put in with extra sensors added to windows that previously had none. It even talks! So now I am covered in every door and window in this house. This gives me peace of mind as the hope is that anyone who would break in would hear the alarm and scram and it would never even get to the point of a confrontation. This does help me feel more secure.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:06 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,956,329 times
Closing thread at the request of the OP.

Reminder: In the future, stay on topic, provide useful information that addresses the OP's concerns, and refrain from personal attacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting