Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 06:18 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,201,191 times

Advertisements

Hi.

Got this pistol for $400 about a year ago, as sort of an early 20th birthday present to myself. The damned thing is older than I am, I believe it's a Series 80 MkIV Officers' ACP. I was informed that at one point it was a duty pistol or something, and it's in probably 60% condition-which is expected for something 30 years old that has been carried. Enough of that, though- onto the question.

I was looking at the barrel rifling and such the other day and noticed that it looked pretty worn-out. It could just be filthy because I keep forgetting to clean it (will be cleaned soon, am going to pick up a pistol-specific cleaning kit) but IDK. I found a place where I could buy a brand-new barrel for it, but it'll cost me ~$170 for the barrel. Should I get the new barrel and keep the old one around as a spare? The pistol is still reasonably accurate for having such a short barrel, it's just that I figure that I could buy some spare stuff for it while the spare stuff still exists.

I was also wondering if I should switch to a guide rod instead of the plug-spring-spring guide setup that Colt made them with (I've never had dual springs in it, is that wierd?) or if I should just leave it alone and buy up plenty of recoil springs.

Opinions? Would it be worth it to do this stuff in case I sell it later? Could I possibly resell it for more than I bought it for with this stuff on it? Or is it more a matter of personal preference? I've already spent $100 on new sights for it, since it's a backup HD piece to my 92FS, and I plan on it eventually being my CCW piece.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 06:37 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,843,631 times
The 1911 has been around for (literally) 100 years - so spare parts will likely never be an issue.

If the gun is accurate, then there's no sense in fretting about the barrel. As a practical matter, the bushing to barrel fitment is the most critical aspect in regards to the accuracy of the 1911 anyways. I'd be more concerned with cleaning the barrel (and rest of the gun) than anything else.

I've got <kauph> quite <kauph> a few .45's in my collection, and frankly dislike the guide rods that I have. I see no real advantage in 'em, and if I was reworking one, would NOT use it.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:40 AM

Bushing is exactly which part again? The part that I have to rotate and remove from the front before I take out the recoil assembly/take the gun apart? Or should I have a little rubber bumper in there or something (seen those on the net, would it be beneficial to get a pack of those bumpers?)

Old 01-16-2012, 09:52 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,355,000 times
1911Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Old 01-18-2012, 11:33 AM

212 posts, read 320,645 times
standard gov't parts don't fit the slide, barrel, or magazine, and unless you've used corrosive primed ammo or shot like 50,000 rds thru it, (very unlikely in a compact auto) you do not need a new barrel. Howevr, if you want fast, sure handling qualities, you BADLY need a beavertail grip safety and an extended, "speed" thumb safety. Some sort of non slip surface for the front strap is needed, too, but that can be as simple as skateboard tape. Get the memory bump type of beavertail, from Wilson's, or McCormick, so that you won't have problems depressing the grip safety when you leave your thumb atop the speed safety lever.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:32 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,953,749 times
OP, trade your series 80 for a series 70 and then put some $$ into having that model customized by a top notch custom 1911 'smith.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:44 PM

Any particular reason why I should trade it for a Series 70?

Old 01-20-2012, 09:33 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,739,045 times
That's a great gun.

I don't believe in full length guide rods. Take more time to field strip. If not properly installed, it can separate. Some say it increases accuracy. I don't care for it.

Night sights are critical.

Get your new barrel. Dehorn the slide and consider new grips. Find a good holster for it. Replace the springs and have a gunsmith inspect it. Have the feed ramp polished.

Some people send their gun to a custom shop. Mars Armament will do a total makeover and fix it up. It will cost you about $2500-$2800.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8IwZ...e_gdata_player

I acquired mine Pre-owned.

1911s are King. 357s are, also.

Lifetime NRA Member

Old 01-20-2012, 10:33 PM

I don't have $2800 to spend on a pistol that I only bought for $400.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:06 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,611,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
I don't have $2800 to spend on a pistol that I only bought for $400.
Before you do anything ask yourself what's wrong with the gun, what troubles are you having? If you have a problem read about it. Do you have any books on the 1911? You should and there are many, many on Amazon complete with reviews. In fact, make a book or two your first improvement; do it right now.

The only "improvements" I've ever made on a 1911 are sights and grips. Sights only require a fine brush and little jars of paint. You can make grips larger by putting spacers (plastic from a gallon milk bottle) between the frame and grips. Pachmayr makes excellent grips; they're cheap on ebay.

But if you're having no problems beyond dirt and crud don't do anything. There are too many solutions without problems among many gun owners.

I have lighter recoil springs in my parts inventory. If I wish to shoot lighter loads (which I usually do) I just change the spring.

Do clean your gun. It benefits both accuracy and reliability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting