Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 01:28 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times

Advertisements

That makes perfect sense Nighteyes, but when it comes to laws, there are not a lot we (living in other states) can do for the rediculous laws you folks have to put up with.

Believe me, I hear about and discuss your laws more then 99.9% of the population of California does. My brother is a FFL holder and has a thriving business in California, so we discuss it often.

The biggest problem is, that the 99.9% of the people, have absolutely no clue, what they are voting for. A person may have 100 things that they do for the state and because the voter likes one of those things, the check mark the ballet and never even look at the other 99 things on the list.

When I lived in California, the newsteam on a channel I watched was reporting a robbery that took place at a convienience store. The news reporter actually said, "The robber used a Terrible Gun to hold up the store." I wrote letters to the news station asking where I could pick up a "Terrible" gun. I knew where Glocks, S&W, Ruger and several others were sold, but I couldn't find a Terrible. Don't know if anybody else wrote to them or not. Same news team reported on an assault about a week later. In the background they showed a picture of a AR or M-16. The assault was carried out at knifepoint.

When you have the media doing that, it's hard to get information out to the people. There are so many gulable people in that state that if the news reported it, it must be true.

The whole time I lived out there I was a member of the South Bay Rod and Gun club in San Diego. I used the pistol range in town weekly when I was in port (everybody refers to it as the police range).

There just seems to be an overwhelming number of idiots that you have to battle out there. Some of them are in office and you can't shake em. Diane and Barbara are two that come to mind. It's a constant uphill battle.

But to the original post. It was a joke. Don't take it to heart.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:00 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,511,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
Transporting a gun in your car has to be in the locked trunk, unloaded?
California law treats handguns and long guns differently. It does require them to be unloaded while being transported. Handguns must be "in a locked container" with ammunition stored separately. For automobiles, the trunk counts.

However, since my Ford Explorer doesn't have a trunk, I place my handguns (and my long guns, for that matter) in actual locked containers. My gun cases work just fine.

=========================================

On my way back from a Cowboy Action Shooting event, I was stopped by a county sheriff (my brake lights were inop). I advised him that I was transporting firearms and asked how to proceed. He asked what they were and I told him -- two single-action pistols, two lever-action rifles and a double-barreled shotgun. Probably because I was still in my cowboy (actually, NDN) clothes he took one quick look thru the window, and that was it.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:33 PM

50,294 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
Neither. In summary, what I said (though probably not clearly) was that, if you don't live here and are not willing to help, you shouldn't just gloat or smirk or make smarmy comments. Please note that I'm using the general, editorial "you"; not the "you" that refers to ElkHunter.

Several years back, and on another gun board, I desperately sought help for a California problem that only non-Californians could address. A large internet sales company (you'd know the name) decided they would no longer sell ammunition to California residents. Therefore, since they had already written off all of their California sales, only their customers in the other 49 states had any leverage.

I asked every non-California member to email the company's customer service department and lodge a complaint. Out of over 400 non-California posters who read the plea, only nine -- NINE -- did anything at all. Many more than nine engaged in gloating, smirking and etc.

The final results should be obvious.
If that was CG one of those was me

By the way I haven't caught the latest on the CA ccw fight.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:24 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Quote:
California law treats handguns and long guns differently. It does require them to be unloaded while being transported. Handguns must be "in a locked container" with ammunition stored separately. For automobiles, the trunk counts.

However, since my Ford Explorer doesn't have a trunk, I place my handguns (and my long guns, for that matter) in actual locked containers. My gun cases work just fine.

=========================================

On my way back from a Cowboy Action Shooting event, I was stopped by a county sheriff (my brake lights were inop). I advised him that I was transporting firearms and asked how to proceed. He asked what they were and I told him -- two single-action pistols, two lever-action rifles and a double-barreled shotgun. Probably because I was still in my cowboy (actually, NDN) clothes he took one quick look thru the window, and that was it.
Ammunition including loaded magazines for handguns can be stored in the same locked container or trunk as long as the weapon is unloaded.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post

By the way I haven't caught the latest on the CA ccw fight.
Check the Cal Guns Foundation web site for updated info.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:45 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
With all due respect to all posters:

My position is, and always will be, that if you don't reside in California you ought to keep your silly opinions to yourselves. You don't have even the least stake in this fight, so your (totally impotent) opinions don't count.

But hey, that's just me. And BTW, this would be my opinion regardless of which state in which I chose to live.

-- Nighteyes
There's two problems with that line of thinking.

First, I *DID* live in California - for 36 years. I have a LOT of friends and family there. What happens there, legislatively, DOES impact me, because it impacts my friends and family.

Second, California is a "trend setter" state when it comes to idiotic laws. A law is passed there, and other states follow behind. Again, California legislation DOES impact me - and everyone else.

How about this - I'll stop complaining about the idiocy of Californians that allow dumb laws to be passed if you keep all the idiotic Californians from moving to Nevada, and trying to "fundamentally transform" my state into the one they just left...

Old 02-02-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
There's two problems with that line of thinking.

First, I *DID* live in California - for 36 years. I have a LOT of friends and family there. What happens there, legislatively, DOES impact me, because it impacts my friends and family.

Second, California is a "trend setter" state when it comes to idiotic laws. A law is passed there, and other states follow behind. Again, California legislation DOES impact me - and everyone else.

How about this - I'll stop complaining about the idiocy of Californians that allow dumb laws to be passed if you keep all the idiotic Californians from moving to Nevada, and trying to "fundamentally transform" my state into the one they just left...
I'll go ya one better. Why don't you read the rest of the thread before commenting?

Old 02-02-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
It wasn't, but thanks for the heads-up on another potential resource.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Ammunition including loaded magazines for handguns can be stored in the same locked container or trunk as long as the weapon is unloaded.
My friend, that is not the interpretation I was given. But hey, the critical word here is "interpretation", isn't it?

(And then there's the old Russian proverb -- "To be sure, the prudent man wears a belt AND suspenders.")

Old 02-02-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
My friend, that is not the interpretation I was given. But hey, the critical word here is "interpretation", isn't it?

(And then there's the old Russian proverb -- "To be sure, the prudent man wears a belt AND suspenders.")

That's the problem with California Gun Laws they spread fear uncertainty and doubt, even amongst the law enforcement community. Which is an excellent tactic to control a group of people.

Keep them in the dark and feed them **** just like mushrooms.

I have personally educated many LEO's, mainly family and friends, on this issue.

Nothing wrong with prudence especially if you are unsure of the laws in this FUBAR state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting