Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 10:20 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,737,381 times

Advertisements

I like to practice various skills:
Strong and Weak hand shooting
Shooting while moving
Shooting from various positions (stand, kneel, prone, supine)
Shoot behind barriers
Rapid fire/Slow fire
Multiple targets of different distances
Draw from concealment
Draw from concealment/Dry Fire/live fire

I use Artzen Steel targets, IDPA TARGETS, and others.

I practice dry fire daily

I just ordered a CED 7000 Range Timer to calculating splits and par.

I use different Calibers for when I carry.

How to not become a viral video of you shooting yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T2-L...e_gdata_player

My range set up when I'm the only one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaJ2A...e_gdata_player

Lifetime NRA Member
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 09:39 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,712,723 times
Most fun I've ever had with target pratice was shooting ground squirrels a 100+ yards with peep sights on a 22lr when I was a teen and young adult.

Now its just paper and steel targets like in your vids.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:38 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,512,801 times
My favorite weapon is a scope-sighted .308 rifle. When I practice, I gradually work up to hitting targets out to 800 yards in approximately 100-yard increments. Then I work on hitting targets at multiple ranges, from 100 to 800 yards. For this, I require a colleague to call out the target.

I also work on range-estimation for targets at unknown distances. As you might imagine, this is a bit more difficult.

For handguns, my participation in Cowboy Action Shooting (CAS) is practice enough. This is particularly true for Western 3-Gun, where the motto is "By all means, MOVE!" Western 3 Gun - Home

Last edited by Nighteyes; 01-20-2012 at 11:47 AM..

Old 01-21-2012, 12:49 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,069,971 times
One of the things that I really had to work to overcome years ago, was locking everything into the same place, every time.

What I did to help with this problem was to aim at different things in the house. I would pick up my 1911 and point it at the toaster. I would lay the guy down and pick it up quickly to point at the toaster. Then lay it down and close my eyes. Grab the gun quickly and point it at the toast. Then open my eyes and see where it was actually pointed.

It did several things for me. I got to where I was grabbing the gun, the exact same way, every time. I was locking in my hand with the proper tilt (depending on which gun I was practicing with) so that I was pointed at the toaster.

After about 15 minutes of this, I would switch to something on the other side of the room so that I would have to bring my arm across me to aim at it and I would use that target for 15 minutes. Then something up high. Then something down low.

I usually did that for an hour or more, the night before going to the range. It didn't take long before I could really tell a difference on picking up the gun in the exact same manner, every time. It also didn't take long at all before my groups started tightening up.

As far as range time, I used the Police Range in San Diego for about 15 years. One side of the range is police range setup with obstacles and such. They also have a dog training area (I didn't use that part). The other half of the range is all benches and 25 yard targets. It's a hot range in that you go down and swap targets while others are still shooting. You go down into a tunnel and then break out into a 4 ft wide trench that is about 12 feet deep. Your target is on a frame that you pull down to where you are and change or patch your target. The shooting is going on way above you.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:15 AM

409 posts, read 318,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
I like to practice various skills:
Strong and Weak hand shooting
Shooting while moving
Shooting from various positions (stand, kneel, prone, supine)
Shoot behind barriers
Rapid fire/Slow fire
Multiple targets of different distances
Draw from concealment
Draw from concealment/Dry Fire/live fire

I use Artzen Steel targets, IDPA TARGETS, and others.

I practice dry fire daily

I just ordered a CED 7000 Range Timer to calculating splits and par.

I use different Calibers for when I carry.

How to not become a viral video of you shooting yourself.

A day at the Gun Club - YouTube

My range set up when I'm the only one.

Safer way to practice: Don't be a YouTube Laughing Stock - YouTube

Lifetime NRA Member
All of the above and then some. I practice malfunction and clearing drills and time them out with a timer as you have ordered. I practice tactical reloads disabled with one hand. (Someone shot me in one hand or arm). I try to lay on my side, back and stomach on the private combat range. How are you going to do when you slipped or someone knocked you down? With the handguns that have sights that will do it, I practice racking the slide with the heel of my boot while laying down flat on my back. Again, shot in one hand or arm. We shoot steel a lot too. That makes or breaks you. It doesn't lend to a near miss very well. You either hit it, and ring the gong, or you MISS! We use various sizes for that. I like to use 3", 4" and 5" the most. When hit, I hit something the size of my coupled fist and smaller. One thing hardly anyone practices is shooting at a moving target. One coming straight at you pretty dang fast. That simulates a man running up on you full tilt. Can you shoot that before "he" grabs you? Many can't and need more practice. In short, we try to think of everything.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxQ View Post
All of the above and then some. I practice malfunction and clearing drills and time them out with a timer as you have ordered. I practice tactical reloads disabled with one hand. (Someone shot me in one hand or arm). I try to lay on my side, back and stomach on the private combat range. How are you going to do when you slipped or someone knocked you down? With the handguns that have sights that will do it, I practice racking the slide with the heel of my boot while laying down flat on my back. Again, shot in one hand or arm. We shoot steel a lot too. That makes or breaks you. It doesn't lend to a near miss very well. You either hit it, and ring the gong, or you MISS! We use various sizes for that. I like to use 3", 4" and 5" the most. When hit, I hit something the size of my coupled fist and smaller. One thing hardly anyone practices is shooting at a moving target. One coming straight at you pretty dang fast. That simulates a man running up on you full tilt. Can you shoot that before "he" grabs you? Many can't and need more practice. In short, we try to think of everything.
Whew!! That was close. High Speed Amatuer Pistol Shooting - Sig Sauer p220 .45 ACP - YouTube

Old 01-30-2012, 11:17 PM

We've been working on speed lately too. I also have been practicing my strong hand, weak hand shooting more. We use 3", 4" and 5" steel plates for that at approx 15 yards (45'). Once you learn the trick, it's not too bad. This is where I like to show off to my elderly Dad. He just shakes his head and is amazed at how it works. It SHOULD Dad...the FBI used/uses this technique.

Pistol Shooting Stances : How to Shoot a Gun with One Hand - YouTube

Fast Glock Shooting - YouTube

Old 01-30-2012, 11:20 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
regular practice is essential and i am falling short. i try to stick with 9mm so as not to break the bank on ammo but its getting more expensive. i use the military method elbows to the chest right leg forward with the handgun and i rest the carbine on the stand and fire slow. i never rapid fire.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:16 PM

More of that ^ strong hand/ weak hand shooting with the loose arm pulled tight into the chest with elbow bent, making a fist. If shot, they have to shoot through your arm to get at your vitals. Better to take one in the forearm than the heart. With any luck, it will hit bone and lose energy quickly. I knew the FBI has done this for many years. I also see, OTHERS doing it too. No wonder it works DAD, RIGHT!

SEAL Team 6 Pistol Standards - YouTube

Last edited by SandboxQ; 01-31-2012 at 05:28 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-02-2012, 11:54 AM

Learn the skills that make the difference in a gunfight. "Highly trained" tactics for BASIC CCW use.

Pistol Malfunction Clearance - YouTube

Wilson Combat CQB One Hand - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting