Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 08:30 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,594,269 times

Advertisements

I've talked to a couple of my friends about participating in an Appleseed Shoot, but so far, haven't been able to fit it into my schedule. The Appleseed program is a combination marksmanship clinic and history class presented over a two-day session. It's put on by the Revolutionary War Veterans Association (RWVA). Obviously, these aren't actual Revolutionary War veterans, but it is a group dedicated to providing information and education about the American Revolution, as it would have been done by actual veterans. It looks interesting to me, as a way to improve my shooting skills, as well as a way to learn more history from the American Revolution.

Here's a link to the website:

The Appleseed Project

There is a monthly shoot in Piru, CA, as well as regular shoots at many other locations around the country. The schedule can be seen on the site above. April 19th is the big event of the year, and there will be many shoots happening all across the country. April 19th, 1775 is the day representing the start of the Revolutionary War as described here:

What's so important about April 19, 1775 (http://www.appleseedinfo.org/why_april_19.htm - broken link)

There is some interesting info on Youtube, too. Here's an example:

YouTube - RWVA - AppleSeed Intro - by Doug Tibbits

Comments or questions anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 06:38 AM

558 posts, read 819,111 times
No, not yet, but I'm planning on going to one next month. I really look forward to it and have only heard great things. If I have a good time and learn something I'll start attending as often as possible. The hardest part I think will be breaking all my bad habits.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostInTheShell View Post
No, not yet, but I'm planning on going to one next month. I really look forward to it and have only heard great things. If I have a good time and learn something I'll start attending as often as possible. The hardest part I think will be breaking all my bad habits.
I was thinking the same thing about those bad habits. They will be hard to break. If you qualify for marksman, you could soon become an instructor, and help promote the program. I missed the shoot today partly because I had to work, but am hoping to make it next month, if possible.

I spoke at length with one of the instructors at a recent gun show, and he showed me the targets that are used, and described the sequence to me. It looks pretty interesting, and focuses on shooting in various positions, not just one or two stances. They really stress the use of a sling, so if you don't have one on your rifle, you might want to pick one up beforehand, and get it installed. They suggested a military surplus sling, of whatever type you prefer.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
I was thinking the same thing about those bad habits. They will be hard to break. If you qualify for marksman, you could soon become an instructor, and help promote the program. I missed the shoot today partly because I had to work, but am hoping to make it next month, if possible.

I spoke at length with one of the instructors at a recent gun show, and he showed me the targets that are used, and described the sequence to me. It looks pretty interesting, and focuses on shooting in various positions, not just one or two stances. They really stress the use of a sling, so if you don't have one on your rifle, you might want to pick one up beforehand, and get it installed. They suggested a military surplus sling, of whatever type you prefer.
I use canvas/web 2-point slings (similar to the usgi slings) on my rifles. I picked up a copy of Fred's Guide to Becoming a Rifleman to read before I attend the shoot. It has some great info. If you don't already have one you might want to consider picking up a copy ahead of time.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
I use canvas/web 2-point slings (similar to the usgi slings) on my rifles. I picked up a copy of Fred's Guide to Becoming a Rifleman to read before I attend the shoot. It has some great info. If you don't already have one you might want to consider picking up a copy ahead of time.
I've seen his articles in Shotgun News, but didn't know he offered a printed guide. Was this something you ordered from him, or did you have another source? I would be interested in getting one.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
I've seen his articles in Shotgun News, but didn't know he offered a printed guide. Was this something you ordered from him, or did you have another source? I would be interested in getting one.
I received a copy when I ordered some targets from him. I'll send you a link privately.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:
I received a copy when I ordered some targets from him. I'll send you a link privately.
Thanks. I got your PM. I also ended up finding the book and targets on Fred's website. Now all I've got to do is order them, then practice, practice, practice... and go to the Appleseed shoot, of course.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:47 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,411,391 times
Looking forward to hearing back from you about how it goes. It really looks interesting!!

Old 02-20-2009, 02:24 PM

137 posts, read 185,481 times
Here is a site that will give you a bunch of helpful information, in preparing for an Appleseed Shoot.

Attending an Appleseed

Also, there is a blog talk radio program that you can call into and/or "chat live" with Appleseed Instructors and State Coordinators:

Politics Conservative internet radio shows and Rifle Marksmanship internet radio by The Rifleman | BlogTalkRadio

The show is live, Tuesdays, 7-9 pm Central time.

The host is a Master Instructor for the Appleseed program and State Coordinator for Texas.

And there will be 57 Appleseed Shoots on April 18-19th, nationwide, this year. It will be a very special weekend!

Over 300 Appleseed Shoots, nationwide in 2009 is the plan, so there is bound to be one near you soon, if not, let me know where you want one, Appleseed Shoots travel very well

Enjoy your shoot.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:53 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
I'm going to one next month.. A buddy of mine went to one and he tells me it's a hoot so off we goes..... I'm just getting back into competition this year after a 3 year hiatus and this looks like a good warm up. My son and I are going to do the Steel Challenge circuit this year ( I did the latter for ten years straight and bowed out for a spell to do some other stuff) and I find the course of fire as explained by my friend for the Applseeds to be ...well, kinda COOL. Wewill be using my old 1941 Mossberg 46M for this as it is a total tackdriver and was made for shooting like this. I can't wait to get started this year! I forgot how much FUN competitive shooting is and these Appleseed shoots just sound like laid back good clean fun and using the rimfires is a tad cheaper as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting