Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 04:14 PM

13,610 posts, read 21,391,107 times

Advertisements

No I have never reloaded though I should learn to since ammo prices keep going up.I'm getting my 30-06 supply from the CMP,it's one of the best deals around and that M2 ammo is safe pressure wise for the M1,M1903,M1917 ect..

I have a stash of South African 7.62x51 for the M1a,that will have to do for a while considering price increases.

I'm actually considering a 9mm carbine since 9mm is still pretty cheap to shoot.And,.22's are always the best way to get alot of practice in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 04:23 PM

BTW theqbaby..

A firearm is definately the ultimate self defense item,but if you don't have a dog(maybe you do) that is a great defense also.A dog will alert you to danger,possibly protect you from danger and then there is the companion factor also.

Old 09-12-2007, 05:20 PM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 5,159,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
BTW theqbaby..

A firearm is definately the ultimate self defense item,but if you don't have a dog(maybe you do) that is a great defense also.A dog will alert you to danger,possibly protect you from danger and then there is the companion factor also.
Thank you lionking .
Office topic for a moment:
I have 3 dogs. lol
About 2 weeks after we moved into our new place, we were in the backyard with our "new" neighbors. The neighbor ran home for a minute, when he returned, he came over the fence instead of thru the gate. As he was coming over the fence, my dog grabbed his leg and wouldn't let go until we called her off.(she did no damage but would of) Needless to say, he won't be coming over the fence again. LOL
I agree, my dogs are great protection, but a bullet or a bigger wild animal would be the end of them.
I am not paranoid, just a precautionary measure.

I do think that I will get into target practice. Everybody around me has different guns for different reason. I am looking forward to practicing.

Old 09-12-2007, 05:38 PM

Any suggestions on what type of targets I should use with the .38 I purchased?
The clay pigeons sound fun. I looked around the other day at the store, but there is so much to choose from.
I thought I would set up some soda/beer cans to start with. Or will they be too small???
Also, when you buy a gun does it come with instructions on cleaning? I am hoping they will teach this in the courses I will be taking.
I am clueless....... but soon to have knowledge !!!

Old 09-12-2007, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theqbaby View Post
Any suggestions on what type of targets I should use with the .38 I purchased?
The clay pigeons sound fun. I looked around the other day at the store, but there is so much to choose from.
I thought I would set up some soda/beer cans to start with. Or will they be too small???
Also, when you buy a gun does it come with instructions on cleaning? I am hoping they will teach this in the courses I will be taking.
I am clueless....... but soon to have knowledge !!!
For plinking,cans or clay pigeons are cool,do you have land where you can fire without desturbing people?,always remember where those bullets can fly off too,some can fly a mile or more.You could build your own target stands like I did,I used a wooden pallet,drilled holes in it and used 2 broomsticks to staple targets on.

Target shooting and defensive shooting are totally different though.In defensive shooting you usually don't take time to aim but rather use snap type shooting.Remember also that it might be dark,you'll probably be scared with adrenilin pumping,make sure you identify a threat and learn your local laws regarding self defense.You wouldn't want to shoot somebody by accident or go to jail.

I would definately consult a instructor in your case.Also,a shorter barreled shotgun loaded with birdshot is one of the best home defense firearms.Birdshot will generally not penetrate several walls like a solid larger caliber bullet would.Forget everything you see in hollywood movies,it's all wrong gun handling in them for the most part.Hiding behind a car unless you are behind the engine won't help,even a .22 can go thru a car.

If you decide on a handgun I would get a revolver or pistol with a barrel 3- 4 inches if you are not worried about concealment,a longer barrel usually is more accurate if you also want to use it for target shooting.

cheers

Old 09-12-2007, 06:29 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,862,309 times
QBaby, self-defense laws do vary a great deal from state to state, in more conservative states, like Arizona, self-defense laws are very liberal.. so to speak, which means you are less likely to be in trouble if you had to use your weapon for self-defense, in fact, I spoke to a couple of police officers here, and most of them tell you, if somebody breaks into your home, or if he's anywhere on your property and has a threatening demeanor, you're free to shoot him. Just make sure he's facing you. If he's walking or running away from you, then you definitely can get in trouble for shooting him, even if he's walking way with something that belongs to you. Some states prefer to charge law-abiding citizens for any little thing they can find, in a situation where such citizens are forced to use their guns for self-defense. They seem to care more about the health of the criminal than your own well-being - Go figure.

When you do your training for your CCW permit, they'll definitely let you know of your state's laws and limitations on self-defense.

On the kind of weapon, if you can, get a Taurus or a Smith & Wesson in the .357 magnum with a short barrel because you can also shoot .38 Special ammo in it. Also, if you're going to shoot .38 Special, get the +P rounds because they have faster velocity and more bullet energy than regular .38's.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:44 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,862,062 times
YES! I try to make it out to the range at any opportunity these days, although what I reeeally loved as a kid was just plinking out on farms/private land owned by our friends (we lived in town).

I'm hoping to invest in a good rifle one of these days. Big fan of Browning, Winchester and Remington.

My folks sold most of our guns when I was away at college; it's been 10+ years and I'm still PO'd about that

Old 09-12-2007, 08:29 PM

592 posts, read 2,809,692 times
My three and a half cents on self protection and plinking. Being a retired cop, I'd love to see about 75% of the public armed, after proper training and education. I leave out 25% to account for the variants of society that have little or no sense of responsibility or control. I am a firm believer and I believe statistics clearly show that bad guys don't want to mix with victims that are armed. As far as plinking, I'd encourage those interested to look at 9mm, .38, or a .40 cal. Reason is, the energy isn't significant enough to be terribly concerned about fly aways, I can assure you a 9mm will not penetrate a windshield of a car unless struck directly head on, the .38 and .40 aren't much better. A .22 on the other hand (even a short) can and will fly more than a mile and are easily deflected by a branch, rock, blade of grass.... The larger handgun calibers do not have the velocity of (most) smaller calibers, hence less worry of fly bys. LK's idea of a shotgun in the home as a self defense weapon is one often overlooked but is extremely effective and I'd agree with him one thousand percent. Personally on my farm, I'm rarely farther than 50' from a weapon of some type. I realize not everyone lives rurally, but one can protect his or her home effectively without relying entirely on 911. I chuckled at Magmikes post about capping someone inside your house, my thought as a cop was if you were in fear for your life, just be able to articulate that and I don't care if you've gotta drag the SOB inside. With the proper training in your own state, it will become clear and obvious what will (or should) become a so called defensive shooting. K, I'll quit rattling on...sure is nice to see all the great posts here!

Old 09-13-2007, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
For plinking,cans or clay pigeons are cool,do you have land where you can fire without desturbing people?,always remember where those bullets can fly off too,some can fly a mile or more. Pardon my ignorance, plinking ?? Would that be simple target (can) shooting ?
I have almost 6 acres. I live rurally. My acreage is 2 acres completley wooded and backs up to a preserve/hunt club.
In thinking about where exactly I will be target shooting, I first thought I would go out into the woods, but thought about the rebound if the bullet hit a tree. So at this moment, I will be just this side of the woods, shooting in the direction of the preserve/huntclub. Any suggestons ???

Target shooting and defensive shooting are totally different though.In defensive shooting you usually don't take time to aim but rather use snap type shooting.Remember also that it might be dark,you'll probably be scared with adrenilin pumping,make sure you identify a threat and learn your local laws regarding self defense.You wouldn't want to shoot somebody by accident or go to jail.[COLOR="Blue"[/color]
I think that it would take someone actually trying to get in my door before I even thought about grabbing my gun. Although it is extremely RARE that someone would step on my property with invitation. Simply, someone on my property would not cause me to grab my gun.. unless they were carrying as well. I'd probably call a neighbor or police for simple trespassing. As far as theft.... no I wouldn't pull my weapon, again it would have to be threatening. Things are just objects. Not all that important when it comes to going to jail. IMO
I would definately consult a instructor in your case.Also,a shorter barreled shotgun loaded with birdshot is one of the best home defense firearms.Birdshot will generally not penetrate several walls like a solid larger caliber bullet would"Bridshot" is this something I can shoot with my .38??? I did plan on buying 2 types of ammo. Real and practice ammo..Forget everything you see in hollywood movies,it's all wrong gun handling in them for the most part.Hiding behind a car unless you are behind the engine won't help,even a .22 can go thru a car.I certainly don't see myself hiding behind a car OR in a shoot out for that matter.As far as Hollywood, I agree. And I have the utmost respect for weapons.

If you decide on a handgun I would get a revolver or pistol with a barrel 3- 4 inches if you are not worried about concealment,a longer barrel usually is more accurate if you also want to use it for target shooting.I purchased the Taraus .38 Ultralight revolver. I have fear of a shot gun. Simply because I am small framed and afraid that if it came to it, someone may be able to take it away from me. I wanted a short barrel so that if they were that close, and I was fearful, they would not get their hands on it.

cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaneyland View Post
My three and a half cents on self protection and plinking. Being a retired cop, I'd love to see about 75% of the public armed, after proper training and education. I leave out 25% to account for the variants of society that have little or no sense of responsibility or control. I am a firm believer and I believe statistics clearly show that bad guys don't want to mix with victims that are armed. As far as plinking, I'd encourage those interested to look at 9mm, .38, or a .40 cal. Reason is, the energy isn't significant enough to be terribly concerned about fly aways,Again, lack of knowledge here. "flyaways" Does this mean a longer barrel travels further or is it caliber ?? I'm confused I can assure you a 9mm will not penetrate a windshield of a car unless struck directly head on, the .38 and .40 aren't much better. A .22 on the other hand (even a short) can and will fly more than a mile and are easily deflected by a branch, rock, blade of grass.... The larger handgun calibers do not have the velocity of (most) smaller calibers, hence less worry of fly bys. LK's idea of a shotgun in the home as a self defense weapon is one often overlooked but is extremely effective and I'd agree with him one thousand percent. Personally on my farm, I'm rarely farther than 50' from a weapon of some type. I realize not everyone lives rurally, but one can protect his or her home effectively without relying entirely on 911. I chuckled at Magmikes post about capping someone inside your house, my thought as a cop was if you were in fear for your life, just be able to articulate that and I don't care if you've gotta drag the SOB inside. With the proper training in your own state, it will become clear and obvious what will (or should) become a so called defensive shooting. K, I'll quit rattling on...sure is nice to see all the great posts here!

You guys have given me alot of education !! Thank you so much. I would not pull a weapon on anyone unless 1) I feared my life or my sons (who is almost 18 BTW and won't be "playing" with the gun) 2) I was sure that I would use it effectively.

Let me assure you that I am not the "fly off the handle" type of gal. Just a girl trying to be self sufficient if need be. Also trying to adapt to my new lifestyle. Unfortunately I will be taking the course in a different state than I will be living (for the time being)
For the sake of reapeating myself : I'd rather have a gun and not use it, than need it and not have it !

Again thanks to all. I am looking forward to learning more from all you knowledgable people

Last edited by theqbaby; 09-13-2007 at 08:00 AM..

Old 09-13-2007, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
QBaby, self-defense laws do vary a great deal from state to state, in more conservative states, like Arizona, self-defense laws are very liberal.. so to speak, which means you are less likely to be in trouble if you had to use your weapon for self-defense, in fact, I spoke to a couple of police officers here, and most of them tell you, if somebody breaks into your home, or if he's anywhere on your property and has a threatening demeanor, you're free to shoot him. Just make sure he's facing you. If he's walking or running away from you, then you definitely can get in trouble for shooting him, even if he's walking way with something that belongs to you. Some states prefer to charge law-abiding citizens for any little thing they can find, in a situation where such citizens are forced to use their guns for self-defense. They seem to care more about the health of the criminal than your own well-being - Go figure.

When you do your training for your CCW permit, they'll definitely let you know of your state's laws and limitations on self-defense.

On the kind of weapon, if you can, get a Taurus or a Smith & Wesson in the .357 magnum with a short barrel because you can also shoot .38 Special ammo in it. Also, if you're going to shoot .38 Special, get the +P rounds because they have faster velocity and more bullet energy than regular .38's.

I have been studying the gun laws in both states. They vary a bit when it comes to "fearing your life". I will be speaking to law enforcement in the state I am confused about.
+P rounds... can you please explain. When I go buy ammo is this what I ask for ???? Will the +P rounds trave lfurhter or just have more of an impact???

I so appreciate all that has been discussed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting