Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2007, 09:36 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,862,309 times

Advertisements

LOL.. The "M1 Thumb", I guess that's a new term. I wasn't able to join any branches of the military because of Diabetes, but I'm sure I would have been familiar with it if I were able to join. I also know my AR-15 has a mechanism that releases the bolt, and if your finger is in the way, you'll probably be hurting for a while, but probably not as bad as the M1 thumb case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 09:51 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
LOL.. The "M1 Thumb", I guess that's a new term. I wasn't able to join any branches of the military because of Diabetes, but I'm sure I would have been familiar with it if I were able to join. I also know my AR-15 has a mechanism that releases the bolt, and if your finger is in the way, you'll probably be hurting for a while, but probably not as bad as the M1 thumb case.
Definately not a new term "M1 Thumb". My dad first told me to watch out for it when I went in the service in early 70's. He knew about it then.

First time I got M1 Thumb my thumb was out of commission for a week.

Old 09-28-2007, 07:45 PM

592 posts, read 2,809,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
May I ask where you live that you have to have a permit to purchase a handgun?
In as much as I'm rather ashamed to say it, Minnesota is one state of many that you need a permit to acquire, as they call it. Here if you've got a permit to carry, (yes, you need a permit for that too), you can purchase a handgun without a permit to acquire. Sad, isn't it??

Old 09-28-2007, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaneyland View Post
In as much as I'm rather ashamed to say it, Minnesota is one state of many that you need a permit to acquire, as they call it. Here if you've got a permit to carry, (yes, you need a permit for that too), you can purchase a handgun without a permit to acquire. Sad, isn't it??
Wow, I knew of states back east but never really even thought of Minn. Where I'm at, you also need a permit to conceal.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:19 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,862,309 times
Quote:
Wow, I knew of states back east but never really even thought of Minn. Where I'm at, you also need a permit to conceal.
It's odd that we have to pay for CCW permits, and the average armed criminal carries concealed without the permit. To me it sounds like another way for state governments to extort money out of law-abiding decent citizens.

If I were to carry any of my weapons on me, I'd carry them in the open and make it known that I am armed and ready to protect myself.

Old 09-29-2007, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
It's odd that we have to pay for CCW permits, and the average armed criminal carries concealed without the permit. To me it sounds like another way for state governments to extort money out of law-abiding decent citizens.

If I were to carry any of my weapons on me, I'd carry them in the open and make it known that I am armed and ready to protect myself.
Open carry? Your lucky that you are allowed to do that in Az.

As to Paying for CCW. I think it's right. If we want to prove that we are law abiding and want our back ground on record so that we can be instantly checked and allowed to roam freely on, I expect to pay for those fingerprints back ground checks and such to be done.

The criminal, on the other hand, has to spend hours, or days in jail trying to explain why he has a fire arm, where he got it, etc.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:37 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,391,107 times
I have a CCW license.My main reason for getting it though was if I wanted to buy a firearm I didn't want to wait 5 days to pick it up,which included even buying a .22 rifle.

It was so stupid,buying a 100 year old Swedish mauser or something and having to wait a 5 day cooling off period.

Which ,it still was amazing to find out that some of you in other parts of the country can have it shipped to your door.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:42 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,190,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I have a CCW license.My main reason for getting it though was if I wanted to buy a firearm I didn't want to wait 5 days to pick it up,which included even buying a .22 rifle.

It was so stupid,buying a 100 year old Swedish mauser or something and having to wait a 5 day cooling off period.

Which ,it still was amazing to find out that some of you in other parts of the country can have it shipped to your door.
Lionking, well there is something to say for living in a part of the country where, "he needed killin" is still a valid argument in court.

Kidding aside, since I have not read through this very long thread, I did come across a link to this site that has some great deals.

GunsAmerica - Connecting Gun Buyers to Gun Sellers Since 1997

Heck, you can pick up an SK that has never been used for less than 200 on most days.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:27 PM

Anybody, besides me, make it to the range this weekend?

I had a Sako in a .270 that my son wants to borrow for deer and antelope this week. So we took it out to make sure of the scope. Held a 3 inch pattern at 200 yards so it'll be just fine.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:48 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,391,107 times
Quote:
Anybody, besides me, make it to the range this weekend?

I had a Sako in a .270 that my son wants to borrow for deer and antelope this week. So we took it out to make sure of the scope. Held a 3 inch pattern at 200 yards so it'll be just fine.
No,but my targets I ordered finally arrived so soon I will.Been playing alot of guitar in the mean time.I had a bad experience this last weekend though.I went to a show,saw a Mosin and was gonna buy it.They called me in for my background check and told me I was denied!

I said do it again,this time include my SS number,they said denied!I have no history,I have never had a problem with background checks before,I don't know what's going on....

So the dealer gave me a paper that I have to take to a police station ,have my prints put on them and send it to the capitol to hopefully clear this up.I may have to have the FBI give me a pin number to identify me.They said this has happened before when someone with a similar name and stuff gets confused..but this is B.S.The fact that I got to go thru this burns me.I just hope I can get this s*** cleared up.Just 3 months ago I had a instant background called in for a purchase and it went fine and now all of a sudden this is happening.I paid $20 when I got home and had did a history search on myself thru the state enforcment website and it came back clean,so I don't know what they are getting about me on this instant background check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting