Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2007, 09:15 AM

245 posts, read 267,529 times

Advertisements

I picked up my gun permit last week. I am leaning towards a glock 26 or a Kahr either the k9 or some version ove the CW model.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 09:49 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKNArea View Post
I picked up my gun permit last week. I am leaning towards a glock 26 or a Kahr either the k9 or some version ove the CW model.
May I ask where you live that you have to have a permit to purchase a handgun?

Old 09-27-2007, 12:37 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,348,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theqbaby View Post
Thanks Mike,
How/what would be the best/safest way to dispose of the "stiff" ammo?
I am assuming I did the right thing with not trying to shoot the stiff ammo. My thoughts were that they would have a problem firing.
It's not going to hurt the gun to shoot them, it's just that the cart. was not fully resized, if you want to get rid of them take them a local range and give them to someone who works there of someone who reloads.

Old 09-27-2007, 04:00 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,862,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theqbaby View Post
Thanks Mike,
I am still a bit intimidated by the gun. I think it should be normal/healthy to have fear of it.
I didn't shoot it for a week after having it because my son (18), in my eyes, showed a little bit too much excitement when we first got it. I felt better letting some excitement wear off before breaking it out.
The gun is brand new. I really don't think it has dirty cylinders because the other cartridges slid right in. I am leaning towards the cartridges themselves.
I bought American Eagle cartridges for practicing. 3 or 4 were stiff, the rest slid right in and out. We just left the stiff ones aside.
How/what would be the best/safest way to dispose of the "stiff" ammo?
I am assuming I did the right thing with not trying to shoot the stiff ammo. My thoughts were that they would have a problem firing.
Most ammo makers use gun powders that can foul the cylinders with 25-30 rounds, and enough to cause cartiridges to not chamber easily.

Like RoadDog said, the best thing to do is go to a local range and give them to somebody who reloads. Without looking at the cartridges and their dimensions, I wouldn't tell you to go ahead and shoot them because they could create extra pressure.

Even with a brand new gun, if you shoot a number of rounds through, depending on the

It's also good practice to clean the weapon after shooting a few rounds through it to prevent copper or lead build up in it.

On Ammo, make sure to get copper jacketed hollow point type, avoid ammo that has just lead bullets. Lead will foul barrels much faster than copper jacketed bullets and it's tougher to clean lead fouling.

Old 09-27-2007, 04:14 PM

LionKing, I was thinking about this when I was cleaning my M1A after I went to the shooting range on Sunday. You always hear of horror tales of guys accidentally slamming the action on one of their finger or fingers while cleaning their M1 Garands or M1As, and I'll tell ya, when these actions close and your finger(s) are in the way, it's goodbye finger(s)!

I know both the M1 Garand and the M1A have a little tab on the side you're supposed to press to hold the action open, and I learned from what I read and heard from others to be VERY careful when cleaning the chamber to not even tough the face of the action, because if you push it back with just enough force, it'll release and it'll slam closed, and if one or more of your fingers are in there, I hope you can get 'em out as fast as possible!

Old 09-27-2007, 04:58 PM

I HIGHLY recommend you find a pre 1975 Military person and ask them to show you how to clean it. Might cost you a 12 pack, but at least it won't cost you an M1 Thumb. Also, do not sample the 12 pack while your trying to save fingers and thumbs.

Old 09-27-2007, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
I HIGHLY recommend you find a pre 1975 Military person and ask them to show you how to clean it. Might cost you a 12 pack, but at least it won't cost you an M1 Thumb. Also, do not sample the 12 pack while your trying to save fingers and thumbs.
LOL.. thanks! When I bought the rifle (brand new) in 1999, it came with a chamber brush. I can also remove the entire bolt, the spring, gas piston and the carrier bar, and that definitely eliminates the danger of losing a finger or fingers(s), but it's too much work. When I don't disassemble the rifle, I usually run the brush from the bottom of the magazine opening and run it through the chamber, but I do hold the brush from the tip so in case the bolt closes, the brush gets the damage instead of my finger(s) So far it's never happened since I bought the rifle.

You can't do that with the M1 Garand though, but I believe they do have chamber cleaning kits that eliminate that danger.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:17 PM

I think M1 Thumb was a requirement in BootCamp. I don't know of anybody in my company that made it through without getting pinched at least once. Some, the slower ones, thought it was just another step in cleaning.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:16 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,391,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
LionKing, I was thinking about this when I was cleaning my M1A after I went to the shooting range on Sunday. You always hear of horror tales of guys accidentally slamming the action on one of their finger or fingers while cleaning their M1 Garands or M1As, and I'll tell ya, when these actions close and your finger(s) are in the way, it's goodbye finger(s)!

I know both the M1 Garand and the M1A have a little tab on the side you're supposed to press to hold the action open, and I learned from what I read and heard from others to be VERY careful when cleaning the chamber to not even tough the face of the action, because if you push it back with just enough force, it'll release and it'll slam closed, and if one or more of your fingers are in there, I hope you can get 'em out as fast as possible!
haha,when I brought that Garand over my dads house way back when,he smiled ear to ear when I asked him to show me how to field strip it.He carried one in Korea,he also showed me how to strip a carbine and a M1911.But he mentioned M1 thumb.

It has only happened to me once by accident....ouch.It never happened to me while cleaning but when I was releasing the bolt.My thumb throbbed for a while,bled a little but it went away.

Jgussler,if the M1 was your main weapon during your time,using M2 ball what was the average size groupings to be expected at say 100yds?The photo I posted,my dad said it was a s**t grouping and it's true I don't shoot enough,but on the other hand I want other opinions one what would be a average expected group,with a good barrel and surplus ammo,I'm thinking maybe 1-2 inches,more like 2 inches?

Last edited by lionking; 09-27-2007 at 08:24 PM..

Old 09-27-2007, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
haha,when I brought that Garand over my dads house way back when,he smiled ear to ear when I asked him to show me how to field strip it.He carried one in Korea,he also showed me how to strip a carbine and a M1911.But he mentioned M1 thumb.

It has only happened to me once by accident....ouch.It never happened to me while cleaning but when I was releasing the bolt.My thumb throbbed for a while,bled a little but it went away.

Jgussler,if the M1 was your main weapon during your time,using M2 ball what was the average size groupings to be expected at say 100yds?The photo I posted,my dad said it was a s**t grouping and it's true I don't shoot enough,but on the other hand I want other opinions one what would be a average expected group,with a good barrel and surplus ammo,I'm thinking maybe 1-2 inches,more like 2 inches?
back then it was crap, but then there was no interest. Now, with mine, I can hold 1-2 inch groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting