Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2009, 01:55 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkate_m View Post
I have a concern about... quality over quantity & it also involves liability. Would you say 14 firearms can be a bit excessive?
No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 02:11 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,013,046 times
Thanks, Ferretkona.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:10 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,591,064 times
Quote:
I have a concern about... quality over quantity & it also involves liability. Would you say 14 firearms can be a bit excessive? If you agree with me, I need to find something to say that won't sound like... a woman said it. I guess then I need to find a way to lead one of Mr. Boyfriend's friends into agreeing with me or trick someone into saying what I'm thinking.

Anytime I say something like... why not sell the ones you like the least then trick out your favorites... Somehow it's taken as: you don't think I should have any guns. Anything I say seems to be taken as a threat although it's never been the case.

He won't use my rifle safe (which only has my taurus in it with a bunch of papers) cuz he thinks it's just a tin can (not top of the line but it isn't bottom of the line either) & his rack (lockable) isn't big enough for all the rifles. The safety/liability part bothers me.

Any ideas or am I just being too concerned about his stuff? BTW: I'm totally pro 2nd amendment & well versed in NRA.

Kate
Well, I am another that doesn't think 14 guns is necessarily excessive, but it depends on the collector's reasons for having them. I know many people that have plenty more than that, and they have a different reason for each one they own. Some people are collectors of specific types of guns and may have several that look alike, but are parts of different series, or are made in different factories, or something like that. I have one friend that collects various AK rifle models, and each one that he has is unique. I believe he has over 20 different models at this time, and is still looking to add to his collection.

One thing I would say about anyone with this large a collection is that almost all of them have good, "fireproof" safes. This is almost a necessity for a collection this large, since many collections would be nearly impossible to reproduce (at least affordably) if anything were to happen to them. Gun safes aren't cheap, but they are certainly cheap insurance compared to the cost of replacing a large gun collection. For liability reasons, as well as for protecting the gun collection, I would certainly suggest getting at least a basic fireproof safe for protecting any gun collection. The basic steel lockboxes are good to keep kids from getting their hands on guns, but they don't do much to protect from fire, or to stop a determined thief.

The only reason I really advocate selling guns is when the owner has no use for them, and / or is in need of money for significant urgent reasons. With the current political climate in the U.S., many firearms will likely become very valuable, and difficult to replace once the owner parts with them. Things that were banned by assault weapon legislation in the 1990s became much more valuable and difficult to obtain when that legislation was in effect. Many imported firearms are nearly impossible to purchase now, and when they are available, they command a very high price.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:37 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
Quote:
I have a concern about... quality over quantity & it also involves liability. Would you say 14 firearms can be a bit excessive?,,,,, Kate
Even 14 handguns and 14 long guns may not be enough.
I have around 12 handguns and 20 rifle/shotguns in the safe, yup 980 pound fire safe.
Each should be thought of as a tool, each works best in their own situation. Different game, terrain, skeet, sport or defense.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:08 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,550,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Even 14 handguns and 14 long guns may not be enough.
I have around 12 handguns and 20 rifle/shotguns in the safe, yup 980 pound fire safe.
Each should be thought of as a tool, each works best in their own situation. Different game, terrain, skeet, sport or defense.
I'll be cool with him when it's all written down, accounted for & LOCKED... Minus the one loaded & in reach. 14 or more is fine when they're properly cared for. IMO. He isn't a hunter.

I wish he'd only have as many as can fit in the safe...It's fire proof but probably only weighs about 50 lbs max. Not sure. I have paperwork on it somewhere. Got it at Turner's Outdoorsman when I had 2 rifles and a few handguns.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:46 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,013,046 times
My husband and I live in a fairly rural, hunting state. More than half the population owns a gun,most have many. We keep them all locked away, unloaded. We almost never have a loaded firearm in the house...even for "protection". If I needed to I know that a load and a weapon are not far away to protect myself. My dog is my early warning system. I would question anyone, short of active law enforcement, that feels the need to keep a loaded weapon at hand. Most times these end up being used for domestic violence rather than home protection.
I told my husband that even if I never got into hunting I want to know what every firearm in the house is and how it worked for my own security.

If I were you I would be vigilant if your boyfriend is resistant to proper firearm storage.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:09 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,910,840 times
Quote:
I'll be cool with him when it's all written down, accounted for & LOCKED... Minus the one loaded & in reach. 14 or more is fine when they're properly cared for. IMO. He isn't a hunter.
Hunter or not, each gun may have special meaning to him. There is very little use for a 20ga double barrel but I will never get rid of mine. It was my grandfather's and he gave it to me when I was in the 3rd grade. I have two S&W .357 pistols that are almost identical but each is unique enough to be of value.

Quote:
I wish he'd only have as many as can fit in the safe...It's fire proof but probably only weighs about 50 lbs max. Not sure. I have paperwork on it somewhere. Got it at Turner's Outdoorsman when I had 2 rifles and a few handguns.
I find it hard to believe that a gun safe weighs 50 lbs and is fireproof. The last time I moved a fireproof gun safe, I thought the wheels of my furniture dolly were going to give out. The fireproofing in this safe weighed more than 50 lbs.

I don't have a gun safe but all of my weapons are secured with a cable lock system when I leave the house. It's not a perfect system on its own but I have other levels of security for my house that make it difficult to get to my office where the guns are. When there are kids in the house, those security measures are in place also. When it is just me and the wife, they are easily accessible.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:33 AM

817 posts, read 2,188,621 times
Quote:
I would question anyone, short of active law enforcement, that feels the need to keep a loaded weapon at hand. Most times these end up being used for domestic violence rather than home protection.
How many people have a loaded weapon in their home and how many domestic violence from guns in the home incidents have occurred? Wouldn't you need to know those numbers to arrive at that conclusion?

I have a really good watch dog. But sometimes she goes to sleep and doesn't hear a thing before the knock on the door. My gun stays loaded when I'm sleeping. I'm not active law enforcement, but I'm not a naive fool who thinks "it can't happen to me" either. There's some neighbors of questionable integrity here who know my husband's not home during the week.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:16 AM

Smile fire safes

A word on fire proof safes:

sportsmansteelsafes.com
"The industry standard definition of fireproof gun safe varies. A normal house fire burns at 1200 between 25-40 minutes. But a fireproof gun safe that states it will last for 30 minutes may not."

When I bought my safe it came with a ceramic liner two inches thick. Designed for 2300 degrees for 4 hours. All magnetic info and paper documents will be undamaged within the 4 hours.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
,,,I would question anyone, short of active law enforcement, that feels the need to keep a loaded weapon at hand. Most times these end up being used for domestic violence rather than home protection.
I was a "victim" of a home invasion 20 years ago. I did have a loaded revolver near the bed and defended myself and wife from harm.

NO ONE will call ahead and tell you to load up I am on my way to burgle your home.

I call bs on your "statisics"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting