Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2009, 03:02 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times

Advertisements

I would suggest a .38 or .44 special revolver, they both have a great knock down and tameable recoil. Smith and Wesson and Ruger both make some fine revolvers that women like. My wife took my .380 Colt Mustang, she is a good shot but it lacks in the end for being a .380.

Ruger just released a small hammerless .38 that looks very fine. Ruger LCR, I would buy one for the wife if she liked it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 05:04 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,413,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly
I would question anyone, short of active law enforcement, that feels the need to keep a loaded weapon at hand. Most times these end up being used for domestic violence rather than home protection.
Why does law enforcement need them more than we do? After all, they are chaseing the bad guys that victimized US already. Its much more logical to say that people need guns & police do not.
At any rate I dont care who you would question but the silly notion that people who carry regularly use their guns for domestic violence is simply absurd. Where do people get this crap from??

Old 11-04-2009, 05:54 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,551,038 times
Here!

Old 11-05-2009, 07:00 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,011,329 times
Thanks for all your replies and suggestions. I am looking at the 38 and 44 revolver as my most likely choice. Hands aren't too small, I suture in a 6.5 or a 7, most men wear an 8 or 8.5 so i don't have "man-hands", but not baby fingers either.

I've shot just about everything, but fun and games and your first purchase are two different things. The cops I see all the time would just tell me not to sleep alone!

Old 11-06-2009, 09:13 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,387,646 times
Ruger SP101 is a great choice. I have the 3" model and it also comes in a 2 1/8" model. It shoots .38, .38+P, and .357 Magnum. The original grip was too small for me, but might be ideal for you. I switched to a Hogue Monogrip, which settles the .357 rounds down quite a bit. They're still definitely strong, but I personally love that round. You know you just shot a gun for sure.
a coworker of mine has the 2.5" Ruger Super Alaskan .44 Magnum and he swears it's smoother than my SP101. I can't see how, but it's his pocket carry weapon and also comes with the Hogue Monogrip.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:32 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,591,064 times
For those in the SoCal area, there's a gun show in Ventura this weekend at the county fair grounds. I believe it runs from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday, and 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Sunday.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:04 PM

773 posts, read 1,939,203 times
Default Gun Show

Anyone in the Seattle area, there is a gun show at the Monroe Fairgrounds this weekend.

Old 11-07-2009, 03:58 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,387,646 times
Must be the season for gun shows. There are two here in SA next weekend.

I am new to the gun thing (but already fully addicted) and have only been to one show so far. How are shows in other parts of the country? Here you can go in and buy almost anything on the spot and walk out with it. It was kinda strange to watch people walking around hand carrying rifles in the parking lot, but I got used to it. A lot of people were carrying them around with a note saying they were for sale and the price they wanted to get for them. I guess a lot of the booths at the shows buy guns and these were for them.
I am really interested in what a show in California would be like. I have heard the laws there are very restrictive, almost to the point of taking away all the fun. Can you buy anything at the shows? or is it just for contact information and to actually be able to touch the gun prior to buying it?

Old 11-07-2009, 04:36 PM

773 posts, read 1,939,203 times
Default Gun Show list!

Here is one list, might help some.

http://www.gunshows-usa.com/index.html (broken link)
(http://www.gunshows-usa.com/index.html - broken link)

Old 11-07-2009, 05:23 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I am really interested in what a show in California would be like. I have heard the laws there are very restrictive, almost to the point of taking away all the fun. Can you buy anything at the shows? or is it just for contact information and to actually be able to touch the gun prior to buying it?
A big warning to all that visit CA gun shows: BATF and the county sheriffs try and trap you into selling firearms at the entrance and parking lot.
Some guy in a old flannel shirt will express interest in any rifle/shotgun or handgun and ask to purchase it. He will arrest you! If you are at all interested tell him we need to find a transfer station to do this legally and he will walk away. They have teams roving the parking lot - total entrapment!

Here in CA all gun purchases must be handled by a dealer. Even a private party to private party must go thru a dealer.
We used to have great gun shows, the Pomona LA county fairgrounds had 12 large buildings and the walkways between of dealers and private sellers. Taco sellers, live music. Re enactments.

All gun purchases have waiting periods even on used firearms. Now, you can purchase accessories, gun parts, ammo, uniforms, beef jerky. Ear doctors fitting custom earplugs. But the old days of cash and carry are long gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting